Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time buyer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:32 PM
SHEETS
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer.

Next month I will be buying my first new Harley, sporty custom 1200, and I wanted some advice on what to get from the dealer as far as the warranty and everything else they try and sell you. Any info on do's and don'ts will be appreciated. By the way, I just found this site abd its great! THANX!!

Old 07-21-2005, 02:37 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: First time buyer.

You might be able to get a 2005 right now for MSRP or under since the 2006's are coming out soon. That would be my biggest suggestion. The 2006's will be priced over MSRP plus they will tack on dealer prep and all that stuff. Shop around, now is the best time to buy an '05.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

SHEETS,

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with "oldgeezer" - now's the time to buy. Find a dealer with a few 2005 bikes of the kind you want and he'll be ready to deal. Dealers get new bikes based on how many of the previous year's they've sold. The more they've sold, the more new bikes they'll get. Find a dealer with a bunch of 2005 leftovers and you'll get a good deal.

Watch out for the extended warranties - they ain't cheap and the dealer makes a wad on them so the pressure to buy could be high. Extended warranties are a personal choice, so I'm not giving advice. But HD's are pretty well built bikes and IMHO the extended warranty is not worth the cost to me, but it may be for you. If you do go for an extended warranty, get them to knock more off the price of the bike.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

Thumper26

Old 07-21-2005, 03:06 PM
SHEETS
Stage IV

Thank you for the advice, I was a little weary about the "extended warranty" since they come with a warranty already. I really like the 05 sportsters and have read up on them as much as I could, aside from them being to small (if your a bigger guy, I'm only 5'8" 185lbs), is their anything else you can tell me about them? Problems? Good points? In 2 weeks I am going to rent one for the day at the dealer that I will probably buy from so I'm very excited. Again thanks very much!

Old 07-21-2005, 03:09 PM
SHEETS
Stage IV

Hey thumper26, I just noticed your from Bridgewater N.J., I'm from Newark.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:11 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The '05 Sportys are great bikes. With the rubber mount engine and more HP, they really scoot and are smooth rides.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

SHEETS,

Small world! I worked in Newark for 25 years at 540 Broad Street - that ought to tell you where I retired from. I currently spend my summers (May-Oct.) in Wildwood, which is where I bought my 2005 XL1200R about a month ago. I've been riding for 42 years, but this is my first Harley. I came up on the British bikes: Norton, BSA, and Triumphs, and for the last 16 years I rode a Honda CB750C four cylinder that I sold in March for $150.00 less than I paid for it!

Is this your first bike that you're going to buy, or your first Harley? Either way you can't go wrong with the Sportster - in any flavor. One more tip: If you don't have your heart set on a particular color, tell the dealer you want a color that you don't see on his floor. That way, he may knock off the Harley "color tax" for you since he doesn't have "your color" in stock, and then pick the one you want from what he does have.

Again, good luck, and let us know how you make out...

Thumper26

Old 07-21-2005, 11:07 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats....sportys rule!!

Old 07-22-2005, 01:43 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Howdy Sheets, welcome to the forum. Have you thought about doing an upgrade with Screamin Eagle exhaust? It will make your bike run better and also give it a sound that I think that you will like.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:57 PM
SHEETS
Stage IV

Thanx for everyones replies, I spent alot of time buying books and magazines trying to get info, and all I had to do was get on this site! Thumper26, I live in the Ironbound area so Broad st. is right up my alley.
Springer, I plan on leaving the dealer with a set of pipes strapped to my back if I have to. I want something loud but not to crazy, are the screaming eagle's good for a sporty?

Quick Reply: First time buyer.