Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about the Mustang Fastback on the IRON

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 AM
G.Man
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the Mustang Fastback on the IRON

I'm currently set up with the stock seat as i ride solo 90% of the time (commuting to work). I have the passenger pillion which i fix on when my girlfriend wants to go for a ride. I hate fiddling with all those bolts to get them on and off each time we go 2-up. I'd leave it on but the passenger pillion is butt ugly (pardon the pun )

I'm looking for a 2-up seat that looks good enough leave on the bike all the time. I really like the look of the Mustang Fastback, but i have a few questions/concerns :

1. Given the sloping shape of the passenger section, do pillions have a hard time staying on (assuming without backrest)?
2. On a related note, is the seat 'grippy'?
3. I hear that it's ok for short rides around town, but i wondering if i could use for long rides too, with a medium low back rest of course. I've had mustang seats before on another bike, and i know how great the seats are. However they were the touring seats (with super wide pillion pads). I'm wondering how the fastback would stack up against the HD passenger pillion seat (being thicker and wider).

I'd love to hear from those who have had their pillions who have put in miles on these seats.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 AM
NI-STER
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, a sissy bar is a must. Get a quick release model, then you can take it off easily when you don't need it.
As far as distance comfort goes, I find it very good. A passenger probably wouldn't. I use mine occasionally for two up around town. I have RK air shocks and those for sure help to absorb the bumps with a passenger on.
The seat itself looks awesome on our bikes. IMO. Gives a bit of cafe' raceyness to the look. I love mine.
"Grippy" no. Reasonably good back back support you though given the design of the seat

Attached Thumbnails Questions about the Mustang Fastback on the IRON-img_0204_m.jpg  

Last edited by NI-STER; 12-18-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:10 PM
G.Man
Intermediate

Ni-ster, it looks great on your bike. I am getting the quick detach backrest, but it's still a bit ugly. So i'm reserving that for long rides - like full day trips.

I'm hoping that i wouldn't need it for short scoots around the city - say 30-45 min rides. I mainly worried that my girlfriend would fall off. That's always a relationship killer

Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 PM
NI-STER
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She won't feel secure without it even on short rides. If she doesn't feel safe, she isn't going to want to ride with you. Not to mention you have enough to worry about just piloting the bike, let alone dumping her off the back.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 PM
G.Man
Intermediate

That bad huh? Ok thanks for your views. I guess i might have to consider the sidekick seat then. Not as purty, but probably works without a backrest.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried out a Sidekick on my bike and it does not look as good as the Fastback, but is better for a passenger if you do not want to use a backrest. The Fastback is not really a 2-up seat, but a full solo seat, but people use it for 2-up that it's fine. The Sidekick is not super soft, but not bad, it's leather so it has a nioce feel to it and it's about the same price as the fastback.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 AM
G.Man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XL50#674
I tried out a Sidekick on my bike and it does not look as good as the Fastback, but is better for a passenger if you do not want to use a backrest. The Fastback is not really a 2-up seat, but a full solo seat, but people use it for 2-up that it's fine. The Sidekick is not super soft, but not bad, it's leather so it has a nioce feel to it and it's about the same price as the fastback.
Would you know wow does the sidekick compare (from the passenger's perspective) with the passenger pillion?

It would be ideal if it was comparable enough for long rides too. So i can get rid of mine , if i decide to go with the sidekick

Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Pixiechitos; 03-03-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by G.Man
Would you know wow does the sidekick compare (from the passenger's perspective) with the passenger pillion?

It would be ideal if it was comparable enough for long rides too. So i can get rid of mine , if i decide to go with the sidekick

Well my wife sat on the back of the Sidekick and she said it was not bad. She love the look of the Fastback, but without a backrest it's harder to stay on. The Fastback looks better than the sidekick, but for a 2-up seat without a backrest the sidekick is better for sure.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 PM
G.Man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
Have a look at the Mustang Tripper Solo with the detachable pillion. You can get a quick release for the pillion. The pillion is NOT comfy for more than 30 minutes. And Mustang's seats are SUPER grippy.
Do you mean that the pillion won't find the tripper (passenger seat) comfy if it's more than 30 min?

By the way, is that the tripper on your bike now?

Quick Reply: Questions about the Mustang Fastback on the IRON