Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Shocks for the SuperLow

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:07 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Progressive Shocks for the SuperLow

Can anyone tell me which shock model is best for the 2011 SuperLow for riding comfort? While I am not having any problems with the stock shocks, I am planning on some real long rides in 2012 and want the bike set up for the best comfort.

I see where Progressive is having a special. If I purchase the shocks before year-end, they will throw in the front springs (stock or lowered). Not sure why I would want to change up the front springs but hey free and free.

Anyway, any help or assistance would be most welcome.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:26 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh...when you change the front springs, you will understand why you wanted to change them. I would just stick with the same length progressive shocks. The 440 progressive shocks will serve you well.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:26 PM
hig4s
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Oh...when you change the front springs, you will understand why you wanted to change them. I would just stick with the same length progressive shocks. The 440 progressive shocks will serve you well.
If I'm not mistaken stock SL shocks are only 11 inches long, and even progressives at that length will not do much to make the bike more comfortable. I switched from stock 11in to 13in Progressives on my Low, made a huge difference in comfort on a rough road. Not sure if they will work on the SL. And they do raise the seat about an 1.25in to 1.5in.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior

Thank you for the input. I did ask my wrench today and he said to forget the shocks due to my weight. He suggested if I want to smooth out the bike to just punch it out to a 1200. I think I may go that way in the future.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:25 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl
Thank you for the input. I did ask my wrench today and he said to forget the shocks due to my weight. He suggested if I want to smooth out the bike to just punch it out to a 1200. I think I may go that way in the future.
What does engine displacement have to do with suspension? Find a new wrench.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:28 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty
What does engine displacement have to do with suspension? Find a new wrench.
I told him that I wanted to ensure I was comfortable on longer rides. At this time, the stock shocks are fine as I do not bottom out or think the shocks are stiff. He stated, I would have a smoother ride at higher speed with a 1200 cc. It makes sense to me as the rpm's would be lower with the 1200 than the 883 at the same speed. At least I believe this is what he means. And, no love my wrench. If something was lost in translation, it is with me.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:29 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Unless you change something in your transmission (gear ratios) the same rpm will result in the same speed not matter what displacement you change it to.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:30 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
Unless you change something in your transmission (gear ratios) the same rpm will result in the same speed not matter what displacement you change it to.
Yep. I keep intending to change out the front sprocket on my bike. But, it's so damn much fun with the extra power, and the 883 gearing. It's a real sleeper.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:44 AM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

70mph is 70 mph whether your in a car, on a E-Glide, or rollin' a 1200... I would ask your wrench exactly what he means about that.

My wife rides an 883 SL as well, I did a stage 1 for her, and the price tag was well below that of a 1200... She can do 100mph no problem, a 6th gear would be nice, but none the less the Stage 1 was definitely a better upgrade.

Now shocks on the other hand... I have read on here that some riders are putting E-Glide shocks on their Sporty's. I don't think there is any mod'n required, but you might want to look around to see what you can find.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

I suggest you find another wrench! By all means make your bike a 1200, but that won't improve comfort, just make you hit the bumps faster.

He is a bit knocked about at present, having come off his bike a week or so ago, but the man who can answer your prayers is HDF sponsor Howard of Motorcycle Metal, who will custom-build you some Ohlins to match your weight and riding requirements. Now THEY WILL smooth out your ride!

Quick Reply: Progressive Shocks for the SuperLow