Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Install That?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this light smaller than stock? Looks undersize, but that's just my opinion. While I own and use a soldering iron all the time, I don't solder any DC electrical connections. I ALWAYS use heat shrink butt connectors and never consider electrical tape to be good enough to insulate bare wires.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ergonight
I think it looks great Voony. Nice job gettin it done.
Thanks, Ergo! Tho, I realized this morning that I have to trim the bracket. As it stands now, the bracket is too long and prevent me from turning the handlebars lol. I was very disappointed this morning...

Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jackal
Is this light smaller than stock? Looks undersize, but that's just my opinion. While I own and use a soldering iron all the time, I don't solder any DC electrical connections. I ALWAYS use heat shrink butt connectors and never consider electrical tape to be good enough to insulate bare wires.
It is way smaller than stock. It's 3.5" OD, while my stock headlight was 7". I think that I'm going to use heat shrink butt connectors too. I wanted to make sure that I connected the wires properly before doing anything more permanent.

I have yet to understand how to make the running light work since the headlight came with 2 extra wires for it.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 AM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony
It is way smaller than stock. It's 3.5" OD, while my stock headlight was 7". I think that I'm going to use heat shrink butt connectors too. I wanted to make sure that I connected the wires properly before doing anything more permanent.

I have yet to understand how to make the running light work since the headlight came with 2 extra wires for it.
It's really simple when you think about it. 5 wires in headlight and 3 in the old one. The 3 in the old one is for low beam, high beam and ground. Same as with the new headlight. The extra 2 are for power and ground for the running light. You can hook it to the ground of the headlight and it shouldn't hurt. As to the running light power, where you want it to be hooked to depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want to, you can hook it to a "hot on run wire" or you can wire it to a separate switch so you can turn it on at will. You didn't say what you wanted it for so I don't know how to advise you.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by aklim
It's really simple when you think about it. 5 wires in headlight and 3 in the old one. The 3 in the old one is for low beam, high beam and ground. Same as with the new headlight. The extra 2 are for power and ground for the running light. You can hook it to the ground of the headlight and it shouldn't hurt. As to the running light power, where you want it to be hooked to depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want to, you can hook it to a "hot on run wire" or you can wire it to a separate switch so you can turn it on at will. You didn't say what you wanted it for so I don't know how to advise you.
Since it is a running light, I want to have it on at all times. How can I know to which one of the three wires to hook it up to?

Old 12-19-2011, 01:30 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Since it is a running light, I want to have it on at all times. How can I know to which one of the three wires to hook it up to?
Isn't your low beam on all the time?

Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
KgBaO
Novice

OLD stock light YELLOW should be your low beam wire.. it is on my 2010 sporty and my Dyna.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Isn't your low beam on all the time?
Yes it is. So I guess I don't really need to have an extra running light?

Old 12-19-2011, 02:35 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Yes it is. So I guess I don't really need to have an extra running light?
IMO, no but if you wanted to hook up a switch to make it work, you can. Also, if you wanted it, I suppose you can hook it to the low beam.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

IMO, no but if you wanted to hook up a switch to make it work, you can. Also, if you wanted it, I suppose you can hook it to the low beam.
Is there a way I can identify what cable is for the low beam? My stock headlight had 4 cables, not 3. One of which was the ground. My new headlight has 5 wires: 3 for the high/low beam, and 2 for the running light. It doesn't have a specific ground wire for the high/low beam, if that makes sense.

Quick Reply: How to Install That?