Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets see your speaker set-ups!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
Do they make bluetooth speakers that dont need a brick mounted to the side of your helmet? I know they make some pretty small bluetooth ear pieces for phones I just dont get why the helmet versions need a cinder block on the side of your head.
A cinder block?
The published weight of the Scala Q2 is 1.18 oz. I couldn't find the published weight for the Scala G4, but I don't think it's much more. You don't even know it's there. As far as being on the side of the helmet, you have to have some place for the volume, play/stop, and next/previous track control buttons. That way the phone/BT music source can stay stashed.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Im not talking about weight but size. I get that if you want to control those things without your phone you would need it. But I also use the gps on my phone which is mounted in a magnetic tank pouch. I can control all those things from my phone. I just dont get why theres not anything (that I can find) that you dont have to mount on the outside of your helmet.........just bluetooth speakers.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:44 AM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not talking about weight but size. I get that if you want to control those things without your phone you would need it. But I also use the gps on my phone which is mounted in a magnetic tank pouch. I can control all those things from my phone. I just dont get why theres not anything (that I can find) that you dont have to mount on the outside of your helmet.........just bluetooth speakers.

the only way I know is to get a FF helmet with the bluetooth system already built in, then just the control dial in on the left side of the helmet, the helmets are all over ebay and the internet. I would read reviews before buying anything.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Because there is really no such thing as "just BT speakers". A BT headset has to contain a BT receiver, amplifier, battery and speakers. At a minimum, the amp will have a volume control and you'll need an accessible power jack for recharging the battery, which should be big enough to handle pumping out audio for 8+ hours. (It takes more power to drive speakers than it does earbuds)

The whole BT specification(s) is designed around allowing the user to be separated from the source device by 15-50 feet depending on the BT rating class, and as such, BT headsets will typically incorporate device controls.

FYI - for those that care . While operating a motor vehicle while wearing earbuds and headphones is illegal in most states, helmet mounted speakers are legal in most. The last time I checked a year or so ago, they were legal in 43 states.

Last edited by cHarley; 12-13-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To the OP, if you want tunes on your scoot, go for it. I like to hear something other than exhaust every once in a while myself. Have you checked with mother Harley? I've heard the handlebar mounted Boom speakers, sound pretty good for what they are, however, I haven't heard them at speed. There are also a few on E-Bay, complete set up speakers and radio in one box that mounts to your windshield. If you don't want to have a windshield on your scoot, then I'd check out the "Boom" system from Harley.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 AM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

We offer Cycle Sounds speakers like the picture above, and are currently running a special for December. Follow the link to our website and click 'Add to Cart' to see discount pricing.

Cycle Sounds is the original designer of the motorcycle bullet speaker system since 2001. This setup allows the rider to install satellite radio, GPS, or bring along any music enabled phone, or iPod. Included in the package is a pair of custom made 2-1/2" bullet style speakers, integrated high powered micro amplifier with harness and universal mount, handlebar MP3 mount, speaker mounts and all necessary connectors and wires.

Not sure if this is 100% what you're looking for but I thought it was worth passing along. Let us know if you have any questions about this system.

Ryd Safe.

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Sutto
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also in the Bluetooth camp. I use the Blinc M1 and I like it. It's loud enough to easily hear my music at highway speeds in my somewhat noisy modular helmet.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:33 PM
aqcr_28
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm personally not into listening to music while riding however my brother-in-law goes touring quite a bit and uses a schuberth helmet that has a bluetooth communication system which installs/replaces the neck padding of his full face; no ugly brick on the side of his helmet. According to him, you can use your phone, GPS, radio, etc. The only catch is that the bluetooth system only works on their line of FF helmets which are extremely expensive. It's actually quite cool if you're into that and the helmet was a lot lighter than I expected, in comparison to my Bell 500.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This is the silliest idea yet, speakers on a HARLEY Sportster!

Hey bud, FYI, the music comes from the big pipes at the bottom of the bike!! Stick your ear on the end and have your friend hit the gas!!

For god sake give me a break.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

As I have said I love mine.
Attached thumbnail picture is the sporty (red mistress) with it on. The other picture is the deluxe (the vixen) with my speakers/ mp3 player/ radio moved over.
Again it is extreme cycle radio for anyone interested. It made the second half of my 4700 miles trip way more fun. And my last trip on the sporty from MD to manhattan and back in a day (when it was 40 foggy some and raining on return) totally fun.

Attached Thumbnails Lets see your speaker set-ups!-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lets see your speaker set-ups!