Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What paint scheme?
Flat black strut covers w/ open fender cut-out.
0%
Flat black strut covers w/ closed fender cut-out.
20.00%
Gloss black strut covers w/ open fender cut-out.
40.00%
Gloss black strut covers w/ closed fender cut-out.
40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

More powder coat...help decide. (poll)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More powder coat...help decide. (poll)

My Olive Denim rear fender doesn't match really well and is fairly "beat up" from previous owner running 2-up seats. I decided to take it off last night to chop it (keeping the fender struts) and have it powder coated flat black. It's a REALLY close finish to Black Denim.

I like the look of the fenders lines when it contrasts with the "liner" that has the turn signal wire clips & license plate bracket and the strut covers. I'd really like to remove the portion where the cut-out is in the fender. However, since I do have the integrated license plate bracket, I'm not sure I want to chop on the liner very much because it's not that stout to begin with. Since this part will likely remain flat black as well, I'm also just considering powdering the strut covers flat black too. What do you guys think? At very least I am cutting off the tabs where the reflectors use to be.

Note: The rear shocks are chopped down RK's so they will stay fairly gloss / satin black. The side covers are "wrinkle black".

Pic showing RK shocks:

Overall pic w/ OEM shocks.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
I like the look of the fenders lines when it contrasts with the "liner" that has the turn signal wire clips & license plate bracket and the strut covers. I'd really like to remove the portion where the cut-out is in the fender. However, since I do have the integrated license plate bracket, I'm not sure I want to chop on the liner very much because it's not that stout to begin with. Since this part will likely remain flat black as well, I'm also just considering powdering the strut covers flat black too. What do you guys think? At very least I am cutting off the tabs where the reflectors use to be.
Why not ditch the plastic stuff and craft a new license plate bracket?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:46 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^+1. or you can buy a license plate bracket for like 20$ on egay. you need to add one more option to the poll jackal.....

"chop the ***** and remove all the plastic **** and tell my wife to get her own bike".

that gets my vote. lol.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
^^^+1. or you can buy a license plate bracket for like 20$ on egay. you need to add one more option to the poll jackal.....

"chop the ***** and remove all the plastic **** and tell my wife to get her own bike".
that gets my vote. lol.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Jackal
Road Master

LOL...

Did the chop last night:

I believe the "plastic" liner **** is actually magnesium and plenty stout except for being a little "brittle". I chopped the hell out of it, leaving enough to retain some wire clips and the entire lic. plate assy. I actually really like the Nightster license plate bracket now that I ditched the fancy LED plate cover and side mounted it.

I'm taking the fender and side plates down for powder after work this eve. Their flat is almost a perfect match to black denim. I'm going to also powder the strut covers, but keeping them gloss black. The fender outta look badass now with the cutouts actually cut out.

The only Olive Denim left will be on the tank until I *** it up and go flat black there too.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Jackal
Road Master

BTW, I measured in 2" at center of fender, and out 3/4" from the corner there on the sides and used painter's tape, then fine sharpie line and more tape. My line couldn't be any more perfect. I cut with a Dremel and cut-off wheels...went so well it required minimal needle filing and minimal 220 grit on a block. Much cleaner than factory edge. I should have taken a pic of how the brace sits under there now, but there is about 1.25-1.5" distance at center and like 1/4" on the sides.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i actually did that adam before i chopped my bike. removed the fender, chopped out the plastic **** ( which isn't plastic as you stated, it was tough) and put the fender back on. looked good, you can see the wheel after doing that which was nice. then i befriended a dewalt sawzaw and grinder and we've grown a lot closer with time. lol. looks good so far though man. it'll look a lot better with that plastic/magnesium **** removed.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Ergonight
Road Master

I am anxious to see how it looks once you get it back on the bike. I've actually been thinking of taking a bit more off of mine, starting the cut right at the rear bolt and taking it right along the line of the support bracket that runs underneath the fender. But your's looks pretty good so far so I'll wait and see. Excellent job.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Jackal
Road Master

I have a few more pics where I held it in place, but the front holes aren't aligned so it would change angle even more. I can email them if you want, just don't want to hassle with the upload and repost.

I marked the inside of the fender for the bracket line and decided not to go that far because I really don't like the look with the struts staying. I checked the factory angle of the fender cut thinking it was 90 deg. to the side, but it's not...it's slightly obtuse. My cut is between 90 deg. and factory angle. I personally wouldn't want to go chopping it acute. I actually marked the fender first on the inside at 2" in, 2.25, and 2.5, then laid a piece of paper in there to check angle and immediately knew 2" was the most I could get while keeping the angle I wanted.

The thing that held me up so long on the fender chop was the fact that I didn't like the look of a lot of them that retained the struts. Then I realized it was all in the angle of the cut and height at which it was done. I won't know for SURE till it's all back together, but on "paper" this is exactly what I was going for.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Ergonight
Road Master

No, that's fine man. I'll wait and see what it looks like when you get it mounted. I want to go as far as possible but your reasoning for doing it the way you did is sound. I'll wait. Thanks.

Quick Reply: More powder coat...help decide. (poll)