Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving bars forward?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:12 PM
VirgeB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving bars forward?

Ok, so when I bought the bike these are the bars that came with. I know they are Z bars but not sure brand.

I'm not sure that I want to stay with these bars. I've been leaning more to a drag bar or closer to the stock bars that came on the bike. While they are not uncomfortable I don't like how far up the controls sit. Feel they sit at too much of an angle.

Right now they are angled back to pretty much follow the lines of the front forks.

I would like to angle the controls down a bit so it will be a better grab for me. The problem is that these bars are dempled so I'm thinking I will have to push the whole bar forward. My question is how far forward can I move the bars forward without really affecting the dynamics of the steering?

Old 12-11-2011, 06:41 PM
chamba
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pushed mine pretty far forward compared to where they were and I am not at all bothered by the adjustment or its affect on how it drives. My bars don't look anything like yours.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 AM
VirgeB
Tourer

No one else out there with Z bars or apes that has an opinion one way or another?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:37 AM
unclebobis1
Cruiser

I got 14 inch apes I moved mine forward a little just looses the bolts on riser and move em a lil and ride around the block take a few turns and see how you like it I adjusted it about three times I also had to move the brake and clutch levers afterwards cause they were to far down when I moved the bars

Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 AM
unclebobis1
Cruiser

I just moved mine alot further forward and flipped my mirrors to the bottom cause I was bored I haven't rode it yet but it sure does look cool

Old 12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I got z-bars on my Softail. I had 'em in line with the forks at first and it killed my back form leaning over. I tilted them forward and they're much, much better. Because of the geometry, rotating the bars forward brought the grips up and closer to me. I feel like I have better control with them rotated forward and my lower back is happier. I don't feel like the steering dynamics changed at all, but it's easier to ride 'cause I'm comfortable.
Move 'em around to different spots, but don't forget to put a bunch of soft rags on your gas tank before you loosen the handlebar clamp bolts. If you're not paying attention, the bars will have a tendency to fall away quickly and slam down. I learned the hard way.
Crappy pic of them after tilting them forward:

Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 PM
VirgeB
Tourer

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
I got z-bars on my Softail. I had 'em in line with the forks at first and it killed my back form leaning over. I tilted them forward and they're much, much better. Because of the geometry, rotating the bars forward brought the grips up and closer to me. I feel like I have better control with them rotated forward and my lower back is happier. I don't feel like the steering dynamics changed at all, but it's easier to ride 'cause I'm comfortable.
Move 'em around to different spots, but don't forget to put a bunch of soft rags on your gas tank before you loosen the handlebar clamp bolts. If you're not paying attention, the bars will have a tendency to fall away quickly and slam down. I learned the hard way.
Crappy pic of them after tilting them forward:
I hadn't really thought about the hand grips moving up. Thanks much for the response. I have another issue I need to address before I can move the bars and ride around. Coming home from the gun range yesterday I lost the nuts on the front exhaust pipe. Sucked big time having to ride home with the front pipe off. Have to find time to get by a NAPA to get two new nuts. Guess I need to start checking nuts and bolts a little more often.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 10" Z bars are more straight than pulled back. I pushed them more forward and like how they feel. I originally had them pulled back on the angle of the forks and didn't like the feel.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:51 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Check out this thread, post #8 (by cHarley), for exhaust flange nuts:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-stripped.html

Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 PM
VirgeB
Tourer

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Check out this thread, post #8 (by cHarley), for exhaust flange nuts: