Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tank lift - custom

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default tank lift - custom

I am considering doing the DK Customs coil/ignition relocation on my 1200C & was wondering about the tank lift...how would that look with the 4.5 gallon tank? Would it cause the tank to hit the speedo? I have stock bars & it looks like the 1 1/2 inch lift might put the tank too close to the speedo.
The lift looks awesome on with the Nightster & 48 tanks, but not sure with the 4.5 custom tank...anyone done this?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:30 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,253 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Check out this vid, there are some bikes in it with the 4.5 gallon tank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5InzT_lvtY

Here's another one..even though it is for the 04-06 coil relo it shows some 4.5 gallon tanks with lifts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxOmi2z3V9o&

The best way to know what size you like the look of best and does NOT present a clearance issue is easy to check-

A. With bike on kickstand, take the bolt out of the front of your tank.
B. Loosen (do not remove) the bolt at the rear of your tank.
C. Turn your handlebars all the way to the left and raise the tank up 1.5, 2, 2.5 or 3 inches to check for clearance issues.
D. Turn your handlebars all the way to the right and raise the tank up 1.5, 2, 2.5 or 3 inches to check for clearance issues.
(You can use a towel to sit between your tank and the frame to hold it at the different levels so you can step back and look)

By doing this, you are not only able to take a look at the different rise levels to see which is most pleasing to the eye, but you are also making sure that you can install the size rise you want without having any clearance issues.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:38 PM
pbr rebel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the tank lift alot. I did mine after a trip to Homedepot. The only thing is that the element inside your tank needs to be submerged in fuel and will burn out if it is not and the idiot light comes on alot sooner than normal because of the rise that I gave my tank and the computer thinks my tank has less fuel in it than it actually does. However I still like the look and will run it till the wheels fall off.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been looking at the DK kit. I'm going to do the relocation, but I think I'm going to skip the lift. If you end up lifting the tank on your custom, please post some pics.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:49 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

In case no one noticed, all the bikes with the 4.5 tank have different risers/bars than stock in that video. A tank lift WILL NOT clear your under-mounted speedo.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Stevieskull
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What your is your c? The stock riser doesn't leave a lot of room for a lift. Streetfighter had a 3.5 lift that was cool with a 4.5vtank and it looked killer

Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stevieskull
What your is your c? The stock riser doesn't leave a lot of room for a lift. Streetfighter had a 3.5 lift that was cool with a 4.5vtank and it looked killer
When I had a lift, I deleted my risers and speedo. That was why I got away with it.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Nightster risers on my Custom so I could pull it off. I'm just not a big fan of how the 4.5 gallon tank looks lifted. I wish I had the smaller tank on my bike.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Check out this vid, there are some bikes in it with the 4.5 gallon tank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5InzT_lvtY

Here's another one..even though it is for the 04-06 coil relo it shows some 4.5 gallon tanks with lifts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxOmi2z3V9o&

The best way to know what size you like the look of best and does NOT present a clearance issue is easy to check-

A. With bike on kickstand, take the bolt out of the front of your tank.
B. Loosen (do not remove) the bolt at the rear of your tank.
C. Turn your handlebars all the way to the left and raise the tank up 1.5, 2, 2.5 or 3 inches to check for clearance issues.
D. Turn your handlebars all the way to the right and raise the tank up 1.5, 2, 2.5 or 3 inches to check for clearance issues.
(You can use a towel to sit between your tank and the frame to hold it at the different levels so you can step back and look)

By doing this, you are not only able to take a look at the different rise levels to see which is most pleasing to the eye, but you are also making sure that you can install the size rise you want without having any clearance issues.

Bahaha that's my bike! Lol

Old 12-09-2011, 09:57 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I made my own lift out of U bolt brackets, I forget the total lift but I think it's around 2". I lifted it just enough to allow room for a wire tuck. I had already changed out the stock bars/riser combo to a set of 8" rise T bars.

I didn't like the vertically mounted coil, so I made my own bracket and used a cowbell cover to hide the coil.

Attached Thumbnails tank lift - custom-big-sucker-and-tank-lift.jpg   tank lift - custom-19-wheel4.jpg   tank lift - custom-cimg3031.jpg   tank lift - custom-cimg3070.jpg   tank lift - custom-dark-custom-2011.jpg  

Last edited by gilmour68; 12-09-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: tank lift - custom