Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's have Geezer Appeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Harley's have Geezer Appeal

Check this out - - has some comments on Sportsters

htt://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45545242/ns/business-autos/

Balloo,
A Geezer with a Sportster

Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 PM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think anyone can argue with HD's business savvy. The future of the company is with the younger market, + while I'm decades from bein a part of it, it's a very wise move. And those young riders will be sportin RKs, SGs, + UCs tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:05 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CRocks
I don't think anyone can argue with HD's business savvy. The future of the company is with the younger market, + while I'm decades from bein a part of it, it's a very wise move. And those young riders will be sportin RKs, SGs, + UCs tomorrow.
+1

If you go to a HOG meeting (which I don't do anymore) it's full of folks with at least 1 foot in the grave. And I think some of them have been dead for a good while, they just don't know they're dead yet.

I'm not particularly fond of the new Sporty models that have been introduced over the last 3-4 years, but it is bringing in a new generation of HD riders. Now if we could just teach some of those new riders a few manners here on the Sporty forum.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 PM
TexFF
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SportyPig
+1

Now if we could just teach some of those new riders a few manners here on the Sporty forum.
Me being in between the young & the old I have to disagree w/you on the manners of the younger riders. I grew up around Harley's. My dad, uncle & a ton of their friends all had Harley's. all though I love every 1 of them they were/are some of the most crude, foul mouthed, obnoxious, crazy, out of control group of people. Back in the 70's & 80's I think there was more drunk/drugged riding, more vulgar display to non riders, more nudity & more violence then these younger riders are showing/doing. Back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:28 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TexFF
Me being in between the young & the old I have to disagree w/you on the manners of the younger riders. I grew up around Harley's. My dad, uncle & a ton of their friends all had Harley's. all though I love every 1 of them they were/are some of the most crude, foul mouthed, obnoxious, crazy, out of control group of people. Back in the 70's & 80's I think there was more drunk/drugged riding, more vulgar display to non riders, more nudity & more violence then these younger riders are showing/doing. Back to your regularly scheduled programming!
I understand, that comment was made toward one specific little squid that has been showing his *** on the forum of late.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Harleys have geezer appeal

Originally Posted by TexFF
God I miss those days!!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Since 2008 over 50% of the new bike buyers in the over 650 street bike market have been in the 19 - 24 age group for the first time in history.

However, contrary to those that say HD must develop the youth market. That has never been a factor. Half of riders that start out on off road bikes then sport bikes migrate to cruising bikes by middle age.

It is HD's dominance of the touring bike market that brings them in. Every senior citizen that gives up motorcycles is replaced by new buyers. Harley has never been short of buyers that keep them in dominance.

Harley sales in the recent recession never fell as low as the other brands. Sport bikes fell 70%. HD is also gaining in market share in this slow turnaround.

Articles in magazines, newspaper and other media has beat the drum that HD must develop the youth market. They said that 10 years ago, 20 years ago and 30 years ago. They were as full of crap then as they are now.

Here are my youth market bikes that make me feel like I'm 19 instead of 71.

And maybe even this "Evil Twin"

Old 12-06-2011, 07:05 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand, that comment was made toward one specific little squid that has been showing his *** on the forum of late.
....but I haven't been around that much lately!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 PM
TexFF
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then I apologize. I thought it was a blanket statement against the majority on here under, say, 25. Sorry. If 1 in particular is being a jackass then by all means call him on it.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad to see more and more various younger folks on Harleys now. For example, I see quite a few of them riding in the city here, but they don't seem to have the Harley spirit that so many of us cherish, or that I cherish. For example, they don't wave, they ride with flashy jackets and helmets? Skinny jeans and snickers? To each his own, but by marketing so much to a younger crowd, then you get that.

I sometimes ride with an old-schooler on this forum. What I like about him is that he has that old school biker spirit (no offense buddy).

I have an 02 883C and I wouldn't trade it for anything, and I feel blessed that there are people like street fighter out there to turn their Sportys into unique bikes. And so blessed that there are so many aftermarket parts available to do what the hell we want with our Iron Horses.

And I do think that the MoCo managed to design bikes that are retro but "cool" looking to attract different kind of folks.

My 2 cents. Btw, I'm 28 and I find peanut tanks to be awesome!

Last edited by Voony; 12-07-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley's have Geezer Appeal