Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's have Geezer Appeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:29 AM
kaimojurgis
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony
I am glad to see more and more various younger folks on Harleys now. For example, I see quite a few of them riding in the city here, but they don't seem to have the Harley spirit that so many of us cherish, or that I cherish. For example, they don't wave, they ride with flashy jackets and helmets? Skinny jeans and snickers? To each his own, but by marketing so much to a younger crowd, then you get that.
<...>
That means you have different understanding about "the Harley spirit" than the manufacturer has Have a look at the commercial of the iron 2012 - the guy is wearing skinny jeans, sneakers, and a flashy helmet

Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kaimojurgis
That means you have different understanding about "the Harley spirit" than the manufacturer has Have a look at the commercial of the iron 2012 - the guy is wearing skinny jeans, sneakers, and a flashy helmet
I'll give you that!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

what is considered a flashy helmet? I usually ride with my shoei full face rf1000 it has pin stripes, is that flashy? I also just bought a metallic orange flake biltwell 3/4 helmet, is that flashy? but didnt dudes in the 60-70's wear these flake 3/4 helmets? im 28 I have rode crotch rockets to harleys and pretty much everything inbetween. I dont really care for "Brand loyalty" in fact i think its idiotic, kinda like religion, causes nothing but conflict. I do, however, love motorcycles no matter the make or model...except that can-am spyder...thats not a motorcycle.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
freeboy
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=TexFF;9115730]Back in the 70's & 80's I think there was more drunk/drugged riding, more vulgar display to non riders, more nudity & more violence then these younger riders are showing/doing. quote]

Bring back the good 'ole days

Old 12-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 32 and grew up around the coke'd up 80's biker's scene. I don't see ANYONE locally anyway doing things they way they use to be done and that's a shame. Aside from the coke of course...no thanks. Back then it was all about black and chrome from what I remember. I personally can't stand chrome, but glad I finally have an H-D of my own that I can black out. I ALWAYS throw two fingers down for other riders, but most of the time I get snubbed by crotch rockets making me want to ignore the sons a bitches.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
I'm 32 and grew up around the coke'd up 80's biker's scene. I don't see ANYONE locally anyway doing things they way they use to be done and that's a shame. Aside from the coke of course...no thanks. Back then it was all about black and chrome from what I remember. I personall
y can't stand chrome, but glad I finally have an H-D of my own that I can black out. I ALWAYS throw two fingers down for other riders, but most of the time I get snubbed by crotch rockets making me want to ignore the sons a bitches.
I always wave at other riders too, but not always get waived back at

Old 12-10-2011, 04:58 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Et al,

A truly enjoyable thread, yes?

I've recently returned to bikes (2.5 yrs ago) and now own the one pictured below. The Honda CB750 4 was a cool bike, with a frame faring it was real good. But IMO could not hold a candle to a HD Electra Glide. The big Honda Gold Wing was a good start but now its a plastic WANN'ABE! & there's lots around lately.

My Sporty leaps away from the rockets in Israel (they don't wave here ether, only the HD riders) and thats ok by me, they cant afford my bike, everyone come to drool then steals the rockets sitting next to it, I even leave the helment on the handlebars! They don't touch it.

My Geezer SportGlide pulls me around in comfort others can only wish for and only Geezers can appreciate & enjoy the ride.

IMO.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:27 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

And if this is Victory's response to the Switchback, I'd assume Harley will be in great shape.

And actually, if you add cruise and ABS to a standard Road King, the RK is still a bit cheaper.

$19K for this thing: http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-.../overview.aspx

Last edited by Keithhu; 12-10-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:39 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
Et al,

A truly enjoyable thread, yes?

I've recently returned to bikes (2.5 yrs ago) and now own the one pictured below. The Honda CB750 4 was a cool bike, with a frame faring it was real good. But IMO could not hold a candle to a HD Electra Glide. The big Honda Gold Wing was a good start but now its a plastic WANN'ABE! & there's lots around lately.

My Sporty leaps away from the rockets in Israel (they don't wave here ether, only the HD riders) and thats ok by me, they cant afford my bike, everyone come to drool then steals the rockets sitting next to it, I even leave the helment on the handlebars! They don't touch it.

My Geezer SportGlide pulls me around in comfort others can only wish for and only Geezers can appreciate & enjoy the ride.

IMO.
Well I'm a GEEZER (62) + I love my Sporty, but when I want comfort, I take the Big Horse.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony
I hear ya. We have a lot to learn from the older generation.
Better learn fast, we're forgettin' fast. Can't even remember what kind of Harley I rode first.

Originally Posted by XL50#674
I also agree that the older school bikers are and were alot more crud then the younder one's of today.
Actually, I think I'm being pretty polite when I don't post an opinion of younger riders. Getting mellow in my old age. Didn't even throw a beer bottle at the Legion bar fight the other night...

Originally Posted by Aaron48
Hell I know Japanese guys that would trade you their Wife and left nut for an old Knuckle Head.
What do those wives look like, had enough use out of the left nut, don't need it anymore.

Originally Posted by CRocks
Well I'm a GEEZER (62) + I love my Sporty, but when I want comfort, I take the Big Horse.
Well I'm a GEEZER (64) + I love my Sporty, but when I want comfort, I take the... van. I still occasionally push it too much and need to crash in the recliner when I get home. Maybe I should trade in the Sporty for a Big Horse, have thought about it. At our age we're not going to impress anyone, anyway. Just read some of the comments from these young'uns.

Quick Reply: Harley's have Geezer Appeal