Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's have Geezer Appeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:03 AM
jbyun
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony
I am glad to see more and more various younger folks on Harleys now. For example, I see quite a few of them riding in the city here, but they don't seem to have the Harley spirit that so many of us cherish, or that I cherish. For example, they don't wave, they ride with flashy jackets and helmets? Skinny jeans and snickers? To each his own, but by marketing so much to a younger crowd, then you get that.
Those are called posers and they make up 90% of this forum. Stick around long enough and you can tell the guys who ride true and put miles on their bikes. It's not about what oil you use, which HD model you ride, what kind of gear you wear, whether or not you're supposed to wave, or even what brand motorcycle you're on. It's just about the ride and enjoying the freedom and therapy of it all.

Once you pick out those people on this forum, whenever they post, you take note and learn. The rest is just for entertainment when there's nothing good on TV.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbyun
Those are called posers and they make up 90% of this forum. Stick around long enough and you can tell the guys who ride true and put miles on their bikes. It's not about what oil you use, which HD model you ride, what kind of gear you wear, whether or not you're supposed to wave, or even what brand motorcycle you're on. It's just about the ride and enjoying the freedom and therapy of it all.

Once you pick out those people on this forum, whenever they post, you take note and learn. The rest is just for entertainment when there's nothing good on TV.
I hear ya. We have a lot to learn from the older generation.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Does the fact that I like to refer to my Sportster as a 'Harley 74' tell people that I'm in the geezer department?

Harley has crazy brand loyalty. If they can bring younger riders into the fold, they will likely have most of them as customers for life.

Harley owners have built a community, I don't know if any other brand can say that. I really doubt it. I believe it's not driven by the factory's HOG program, but by the owners themselves. How can any other brand compete with that?

And brand recognition with non-riders is amazing. I think that helps drive potential new owners through the door.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Arond here I see a nice mix of riders on HD's. I'm almost 34 and got my Sporty when I was 30, had sport bikes before that and grew up on dirt bikes and qauds since I was 6. I think all ages like HD's and the one's that don't just don't understand what HD is about or is too cheap-Like my dad to buy one-He rides a 2007 Zuk C90T. It's just like the people that say sportys suck-have they ever owned one or spent some time on one? My wife has a fried that has an older Kaw ZX9R and that is a cool older sport bike and when she told him I have a sporty he was like booo! She said no way it's fast and hooked up-he said I have never seen a hooked up or laid out sporty-Really??? I told her to tell him to jump on here and look at some pix.

I also agree that the older school bikers are and were alot more crud then the younder one's of today.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Pixiechitos; 03-03-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 PM
cncannone
Intermediate

I think the article raised a good point on the prices of HD versus other makes driving sales among younger demographics. It's not so much that younger riders don't want an HD, it's that they can't afford them.

Go to any military base and you'll see a ton of bikes and a lot of Harleys - many owned by younger guys. Why? Two words: ENLISTMENT BONUS. Put the money in their pocket and about half the time they pick HD. Just ask the dealership down here...

Old 12-07-2011, 05:24 PM
pointdogg48
Tourer

they did goo d with the Iron and the 48. Which caught my eye immediately and had to have one. Never liked crotch rocket. I am 22 yrs old.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:24 PM
pointdogg48
Tourer

when anyone asked me, why i didnt get like a honda fury, or a yamaha or some B.S. i just tell them because they are just immitation harleys

Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

I am 35 and have learned some Of my best skills from the older generation. Always always listen to the advice given to you by your elders especially when they are telling to save your money . Everyone I have ever known that rides has been a Harley guy or gal. I had to buy a Harley after all I was born In Rapid City South Dakota just thirty min from Sturgis. My dad told me the Doctor delivering me was a rider that had a 68 shovel he rode everyday he could. Either way Harley Davidson is the true American Icon and hell yeah it's got Geezer appeal. Hell I know Japanese guys that would trade you their Wife and left nut for an old Knuckle Head.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,240 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Hey! I'm 53, feel like I'm 18, and my daughter says I act like I'm 13! lol

I am liking the new style sportys MoCo is putting out.

Still don't care for the EFI, but that is another matter.

Quick Reply: Harley's have Geezer Appeal