Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Body Know when these are coming out for a Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun555
What are you wanting, the speedo/tach combo in 1 housing? Harley had that for a couple of years but its not listed in the 2011 P/A wishbook, so I think they dropped it.
Yes, that is true. Why develop it, and then no longer carry the item??? NOBODY wanted the ugly thing. It costs a lot of money to produce an item, and carry it in inventory when there is practically zero demand for the product.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 AM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ofcourse you can tell when an engine redlines without a tach because it stops acelerating, but who wants to find out that way? your not suppose to shift when it redlines anyway 1// it's not good for the engine to constantly be redlining it, and 2. your suppose to shift about 1500 rpm above peak torque rpm so you can accelerate with peak torque in the next gear.

It's stupid to try to guess what rpm your at, anyone who is serious about driving a vehicle correctly wants a tach.

Last edited by 06Sporty75; 12-04-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 AM
06Sporty75
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Yes, that is true. Why develop it, and then no longer carry the item??? NOBODY wanted the ugly thing. It costs a lot of money to produce an item, and carry it in inventory when there is practically zero demand for the product.

Nobody wanted it?? Are you kidding?? Nobody wanted a color changing, integrated speedo/tach/gear indicator/clock for under $300?? That's crazy, that's insane!! If no one wanted it then why is HD still trying to sale outdated style old analog tachs where you have to buy 3 parts and then run special wiring?? Why are they still trying to sale a $220 Gear indicator when you can get the total package from dakota digital for $340?

Currently if you wanted to get everything in the Dakota digital unit from harley you'd have to buy all this

Tach - $220
Tach Housing- $25
Tach Monuting Plate - $50
Gear Indicator - $220
Clock - $55
Plus lots of installtion time or pay a dealer to do it.
Total - $570 plus Install

or Harley could sale the integrated unit for $300 and the it would take 15 simple minutes for a plug & play install.

Is it true they actually produced it?? I have never seen one, if it is true someone should post s photo of it.

Last edited by 06Sporty75; 12-04-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

whatever happen to just listening to the motor to shift? not to mention i think it's just too bulky and ruins the lines of the tank. never liked those tank mount speedo/tachs on the BT's. i mean, if you're looking down at a tach/speedo you obviously aint watching the road right? gear indicator? please, man if you don't know what gear you're in you shouldn't be on two wheels imo.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:26 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Sporty75
ofcourse you can tell when an engine redlines without a tach because it stops acelerating, but who wants to find out that way? your not suppose to shift when it redlines anyway 1// it's not good for the engine to constantly be redlining it, and 2. your suppose to shift about 1500 rpm above peak torque rpm so you can accelerate with peak torque in the next gear.

It's stupid to try to guess what rpm your at, anyone who is serious about driving a vehicle correctly wants a tach.
No, what's stupid is to give a crap about what your rpm is and stupider to ride while looking at a tachometer (instead of the road) waiting for it to tell you when you should shift. If you can't tell when you need to shift without looking at a tachometer, you need to ride more. (And I never said anything about redlining it.) Unless you're keeping records or trying to measure rpm's for a reason, a tachometer is unnecessary.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Sporty75

Obviously you haven't been a rider very long...listen & feel are all you need (not flashy lights & gauges). Last time I checked - didn't see any tach on pro-circuit motocross bikes & they seem to shift just fine...

Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Obviously you haven't been a rider very long...listen & feel are all you need (not flashy lights & gauges). Last time I checked - didn't see any tach on pro-circuit motocross bikes & they seem to shift just fine...
Exactly. Those of us that are old enough know that manual transmission cars before automatics came out NEVER had tachometers, nor did motorcycles. Tachs were used in race cars because they actually DO push it to redline on the track. As a marketing tool, and to make their street "sports cars" seem sportier, the big three car manufacturers started putting tachs in their sports models. No one thought they needed one, they just thought they looked cool. They have always been an unnecessary affectation in street vehicles.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:59 AM
06Sporty75
Road Captain

you people who think you can "guess' What rpm you are running nearly as accuratly as a tachometer are Full of BS. who wants to sit there and "think" for 1 second and "guess" and "think" you know what RPM your bike is running, why not just get a gauge and KNOW what your doing instead of just "guessing"?? you people have ego problems.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:00 AM
06Sporty75
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bmxatv
whatever happen to just listening to the motor to shift? not to mention i think it's just too bulky and ruins the lines of the tank. never liked those tank mount speedo/tachs on the BT's. i mean, if you're looking down at a tach/speedo you obviously aint watching the road right? gear indicator? please, man if you don't know what gear you're in you shouldn't be on two wheels imo.

I'm not talking about a tank mounted tach, I'm talking about a intergrated tach/speedo that replaces the Speedo. And who wouldn't want a gear indicator?? Do you count to 5 every time you start? No one does.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 AM
06Sporty75
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Exactly. Those of us that are old enough know that manual transmission cars before automatics came out NEVER had tachometers, nor did motorcycles. Tachs were used in race cars because they actually DO push it to redline on the track. As a marketing tool, and to make their street "sports cars" seem sportier, the big three car manufacturers started putting tachs in their sports models. No one thought they needed one, they just thought they looked cool. They have always been an unnecessary affectation in street vehicles.
well excuse me for not making do with 1948 technology, if you havent noticed the year is now 2011.

Quick Reply: Any Body Know when these are coming out for a Sportster?