Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley - Project in Progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 PM
dremeda
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile First Harley - Project in Progress

This summer marks the time I purchased my first Harley, a 2011 Nightster, and I love it. But like most of you, I have enjoyed even more making it mine.

This post will serve as the place I poorly document what I have done, and what I will do to my sled.

So here goes nothing

Here she is the day she came home, she had 7 miles:

First upgrades I did were on the intake/exhaust, pretty typical, and even more typical what they were for a newbie Harley guy. I swapped out the stock stuff for a set of V&H Short Shots and Heavy Breather. At the same time she got a set of forward controls. You'll also see the rear view mirrors reversed at this point, and a tool bag added to the front end.

Also changed out the derby and inspection covers for all black instead of the stock polished covers.

Not much changed in this next pic but I like the shot. I added front axle bolt covers and a cool set of Red Cross stickers (My name is Dre, they call me Doc).

So what now? Well, now I am relocating stuff and removing the crap that doesn't belong. Below I added a Harley saddle seat, relocated the front signals, added a new set of after market mirrors, removed the front fender, removed odd molding that just didn't belong. I also took off the belt guard and added rear axle bolt covers. I also moved the tool bag down onto the frame, and added another one that sits on the left side of the bike on the swing arm. Almost forgot, added a stash tube behind the license plate, and a Superbrace fork brace which has made a noticeable difference in my opinion.

I hope you like so far, I know I do, and I'm having a blast. So much of a blast that its time to keep going. Here is a quick pic of some of the goodies going on this week:

Here is a list of most of the stuff sitting there:

Rear Wide Whitewall
New Fork Gators
Leather Fork Covers
2" Tank Lift Kit
Ignition Relocation Kit
14" Vintage Z-Bars
Burly Cable/Line Kit
White Rubber Grips
Pivot Bolt Covers
Biltwell 10" Struts

On it's way is a new headlight without the eyelid, all black from Toxic Choppers. I also ordered a new Timer Cover today with the WordPress logo (the web platform I develop on and use every day).

There's always something left. Notable is the speedo relocation I want to get in before the end of the year, but the old lady told me to hold off on getting anything else until after Christmas I want to black out the rest of the motor and small details as I go as well. We'll see what else we add as we go.

I'm also strategizing with my buddy on the tail to see what we come up with there. I want to do a chop but we're gonna take our time there to ensure we get it right.

That's it for now, let me know what you think.

Doc

Last edited by dremeda; 11-29-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Added parts
Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Looking Good man! Keep the pics coming.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 PM
dremeda
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Looking Good man! Keep the pics coming.
Thanks boss, the tank is getting raised this week. Thanks for getting everything shipped so damn quickly, pics will follow!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 PM
BAKERiSM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heck yeah man! i plan my weekends around playing in the garage now ha... bike is looking good!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 AM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Exhaust was a great improvement,

and now I understand why everyone likes aftermarket AC's, to improve the view of the engine, that old AC ws covering up a lot of the view.

I think you should put the belt guard back on though, it looked good.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:41 AM
unclebobis1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like them z bars I wanna get something like that for mine

Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking very cool, man. Great job! Is this stuff addicting or what?
My wife just told me the same thing. lol

Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM
dremeda
Cruiser

BAKERiSM - Dude, ridiculously fun!

06Sporty75 - That made the world of difference, changing the pipes and AC made it feel and look like a new bike for sure. I'll be keeping the belt guard so who knows what will happen down the road.

unclebobis1 - I mounted them when they came in to see what they would look and feel like and holy crap dude, sick! The actual hand/arm position is only a good 4-5 inches higher then stock because of the bends, it is almost shoulder height. I'm 5'11" and this is a perfect height.

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Looking very cool, man. Great job! Is this stuff addicting or what?
My wife just told me the same thing. lol
Bro, this is beyond addicting, what a way to let loose. It's the perfect get-away for me. Wifey is funny, she had me make her a list of all the stuff I am interested in. It was 80%+ bike stuff and she's gonna be reading a while

Old 11-30-2011, 01:25 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

im in Elsinore, Im sure ill see you on the road. Bike looks good man!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 PM
dremeda
Cruiser

Originally Posted by emperor wurm
im in Elsinore, Im sure ill see you on the road. Bike looks good man!
Oh Hell ya, we should hook up and ride. One of the guys that cruises with us is in Elsinore.

Quick Reply: First Harley - Project in Progress