Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Dilema!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Zergote
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Dilema!!

Hi, first of all, Hi to everyone, im new to the forums, and hope to be a member of the hd community soon .
Heres my story. Ive always liked HD bikes but theres so much variety ive love some of em, and dont like how some others look. So this friend arrives at my business a random day riding a Nightster, since that day i fell in love with the bike, havent been able to take it off my head, so i decided to purchase one, like i said theres many HD models, and i dont like all of em, so when i saw this one and asked what the hell it was, i started doing some research on sporters on my own (wich i decided are the HD bikes i really dig).
So the last month Ive been trying to decide between buying a Nightster or a 48, since they are very similar. When i look at them in pictures, videos etc for some reason the 48 looks more appealing to me, on the other hand when i see them in person (already sat/watch on both) cant take my eyes off the nightster, then i go back home open my laptop start reading about sportsters, watching pictures and im suddenly in love with the 48 again. I dunno if its because i like the mods my friend has on his nightster or some optcial illusion, but my conclusion is i think i like how the nightster looks when the bike is alone, and i like more how the 48 looks while being ridden.
Ill probably be ordering my new sportster in the next couple of weeks, and i dont think its that much of a problem since in the end ill be happy with whatever bike a get since they are very similar and they both can be taken to the point i want my "finished bike" to look like, but id like some advice from you guys.
Should i go for the bike planted that little "i want a hd" bug, or should i buy the bike that i think looks cooler while ridding, any similar experience? what did you do?
Thanks a lot in advance, hope to be posting pics of my new bike soon , cant wait, it has even been hard to sleep lately, waking up in the middle of the night just to jump on my pc to watch my future baby hahaha, i bet some of you feel me

Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 PM
VirgeB
Tourer

Is there a dealer there that has both and will allow test rides? If so ride both and buy the one the feels better on the road. After all you will be riding the bike and not just looking at it sitting still.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 PM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

I would get the one you like best in person...professional pictures are good but they are taken at angles that are appealing to the eye...nothing like looking at the real thing...if the nightster does it for you then go for it, if it's the 48 then that...Good luck!!

BTW..if it matters to you, the 48 has a smaller gas tank.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Zergote
Stage II

ive ridden both and they felt practicly the same because nightster had forward controls (both stock handle bars) but the nightster gave me more of that "chopper" sensation since the tank its bigger made the bike feel taller in the front, wich i liked. (I felt like i was riding a much smaller bike on the 48)

Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 PM
UnNatural
Advanced

get a forty eight and install a nightster tank. that way you get the fat front end, low slung gauge and forward controls of the forty eight but the better range of the nightster. I looove the way that bigger tank looks with the fat front.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:29 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Pixiechitos; 03-03-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Maidenas
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UnNatural
get a forty eight and install a nightster tank. that way you get the fat front end, low slung gauge and forward controls of the forty eight but the better range of the nightster. I looove the way that bigger tank looks with the fat front.
+1

This way, you also get a full black engine...

Last edited by Maidenas; 11-24-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:34 AM
mywifeishot
Cruiser

I had the same problem before purchase , but I chose the 48 . I will be changing the tank to the bigger nightster tank . I have the new tank just trying to find a good painter .

Old 11-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Colormania
Banned

Originally Posted by mywifeishot
I had the same problem before purchase , but I chose the 48 . I will be changing the tank to the bigger nightster tank . I have the new tank just trying to find a good painter .
Stop searching, Colormania is the best painter for the job!
call us or send a PM to joe@colormaniapaint.com for a free quote.

We paint the tank within 2 weeks and back the work with a 5 year written warranty.

(949) 226 8560

Have a great Thanksgiving,

Old 11-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If "looking cool while riding" is a deciding factor, here is something for you to think about; cages don't care if you look cool or not, they will still pull out right in front of you.
As for which bike, it's up to you as you have to pay for it. All, almost, Sportsters can be changed to look like the others if you have enough $$$$.