Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Nightster front suspension advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:14 PM
nightrider318
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm gonna go with the superbrace first and the intimidators, I dont bottom out a whole lot but in tight turns my handling seems poor..I went too ricors website I don't see the intimidators for 39 mm forks all I seem to see is 41, I know I have 39's on my bike like I said earlier I have had my bike for 2 years and I just started wrenching on it in the last 9 months or so still new to the mechanical side of it. But the manual is awesome.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:18 PM
karter
Advanced
Thumbs up

Check the Ricor website again , they do have 39 mm intimidators and also buy the recommended fork oil ( Amzoil ) from them .
Ricor has been around for a while now and it's a quality product. Put them in my 04 Sportster 2 1/2 years ago and I quit making changes to the front forks . I tried progressive springs , different wt. fork oil , Race Tech emulators, SE fork brace - ---Took all that stuff off added Ricors, Done !
I also put them in my 09 Road King Classic last year . Tremendous difference .

Old 11-24-2011, 03:27 PM
nightrider318
Advanced

Thanks man I'll recheck their site..

Old 11-24-2011, 04:08 PM
nightrider318
Advanced

Well think I'm gonna order the intiminators and that's all. Have done a lil research and all I hear people say about them is excellent gonna order them in the next couple weeks.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:47 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nightrider318
Are those intimidators just drop in? And does it come with a good set of instructions ? Will be my first time taking apart the forks, I have the service manual.
Once you remove the fork caps, spacer, washer and springs...drain the fork oil...then yes they drop right in. Not a very difficult install.

Honestly it has been a couple years and I do not remember what their instructions were like. I just remember I didn't have any issues while doing it.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:57 AM
nightrider318
Advanced

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer
Once you remove the fork caps, spacer, washer and springs...drain the fork oil...then yes they drop right in. Not a very difficult install.

Honestly it has been a couple years and I do not remember what their instructions were like. I just remember I didn't have any issues while doing it.
So you don't have too remove the forks completely? And can't I drain the oil from the drain plugs on the bottom of the fork?

Old 11-25-2011, 09:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

So you don't have too remove the forks completely? And can't I drain the oil from the drain plugs on the bottom of the fork?
I don't know when they changed, but recent Harleys don't have drain screws, certainly my 2011 doesn't. I had the forks rebuilt with Racetech springs and emulators recently and the chap who did it said that under normal conditions it is not necessary to change fork oil very often, but there is a build-up of dirt inside them that doesn't come out when using a drain screw. It is his opinion that it is better to remove the forks and clean them inside, when changing oil.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:24 AM
HDCruzin
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the Ricors in last fall. I dont even think about the front end anymore, handles the rough road and no fork dive. My 2010 has drain plugs. I was surprised how dirty the fork oil was after a few thousand miles. Replaced it with the 5wt Amsoil as recommended. I didnt trim the spacer so it gave more preload on the stock springs. It was easy install except getting the fork caps back on. My recommendation is what a HD service guy gave me, have a socket extension bar and a palm ratchet. You have to push down hard while turning to get that first fork cap thread started. A palm ratchet would have been easier than the standard ratchet I used. Harley should install these on all their bikes. I rented an Electra Glide Classic last month on vacation. After all the front end dive I was wishing for my Sportster forks with the Ricors.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:11 PM
BAKERiSM
Advanced

Dang I might have to get some of those after reading what you guys said... I only weigh a buck fifty so will someone my size still feel a big difference in the handling?

Old 11-25-2011, 04:55 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser

No you don't have to completely remove the forks. I, along with the HD service manual, describes changing the fork oil by utilizing the drain screw. Just becareful with that drain screw because it is a phillips head screw....they are known for stripping the head. Make sure you put good pressure againest the screwdriver, driving it into the screw, as you try to back it out.

Depending on your handlebars you may have to remove them. Might be a good idea anyways as it gives you a clear path above the fork caps. I think I have a bunch of pictures and a write-up I did for a friend on how to remove the fork caps. That gets you most of the way there. If I find it I'll post it here.

Quick Reply: 08 Nightster front suspension advice.