Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your helmet Input

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 AM
waverly
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own both the Bell 500 and the Biltwell hustler. You cant go wrong with either. I wear a size L in both and they fit well, with a slight edge going to the Biltwell. It fits my head shape better, more snug( in a good way esp on the cheeks) and is definitely more comfortable- the Bell is slightly larger. Between the two the Biltwell exhibits less lift at highway speed (probably due to it fitting me slightly better) and is my go - to helmet. I have the platinum and would like to pick up the black one day as well.
Having said all that, after riding with a full, a 3/4 with shield and a half...the 3/4 open face is my favorite style to wear, is most comfortable and reduces noise level the most besides the full face.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:05 AM
CAVSportster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Gmax modular helmet. Its lightweight and not very bulky. Its got plenty of vents for curculation which you can all close. Internal sun shade removes the need t have to carry two shields. And the best thing about this helmet I think is the LED light in the back of the helmet, it is a major eye catcher at night. The helmet looks great, functions great, and the flat back keeps you looking bada** all year round!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...et-Helmet.aspx

Ive worn lots of dfferent helmets, half shell, 3/4, full face, even dirt bike helmets when I use to go ride out in the desert. This is by far the most comfortable, reliable, and durable helmet I have ever owned! You wont regret it, and for the price, its a steal!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I started with a HD 1/2, very comfortable, didnt look like I had a pumpkin on my shoulders, looked like I had the goodyear blimp on my shoulders. At 50 MPH I thought it was going to rip my head off my shoulders. Next was an outlaw carbon fiber 1/2, much smaller, easily the most uncomfortable helmet Ive ever had. Lift was minimal but only if I sinched the straps down so tight they would dig into my skin. Next was a lick novdot, very comfortable, very little lift, pretty small for a dot. Its my favorite.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

DP!!!

Last edited by Rog48; 11-18-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I received one of the first ever Lick's NovDot's, was in on the first pre-buy. It is a great helmet, but I have an oblong melon and it did not fit me right. I sold it to a guy on here that loves it. It is a very light helmet.

I own a Daytona 3/4, which is very similiar to Lick's, but no where near as comfortable. I can't even wear the Daytona.

I am small and have a small head and neck, can't do heavy bulky lids. I tried DOT 1/2 shells, horrible.

These days I have 2 SkullCrush 1/2 helmets that are light and comfy, not DOT but shell that is probably better than most DOT. I wear them when it is above 80, otherwise, full on race helmet...

If you go FF, spend the dough and get a light, comfy lid...

Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,149 Likes on 3,670 Posts

Nice thing is the snaps allow you to get a good shield for the rain.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:58 AM
DENGUY
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of helmet does the "Sons of Anarchy" bunch wear?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an HJC IS-2..guess you would call it a 3/4. It's great because it has a retractable shield that goes up into the helmet. Only problem is it gives me huge mushroom head, but it is comfortable and I do like it. It works fairly well for cold weather also.
I have a Skull Crush natural carbon beanie on order..

Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

25% of bike wrecks the chin hits first.Good fitting modular or full face is the safest.

Last edited by T K Glider; 11-18-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of good suggestions so far. Just to give you some options you might want to try some of the European brands. I'm looking for a new helmet and I wouldn't mind something unique to go with the new bike. I'm gonna buy a full face but I've seen some pretty unique 3/4's.
Caberg Jet Century

Caberg Freedom

Roof Boxer

Roof Boxer Classic

Roof Kicker

Roof Roadster w/Pilot mask

There are lots of others out there. From what I understand from browsing various forums, these can all be ordered from a couple of places in the UK who will ship to the US. And the European safety standard is apparently equivalent to, some say better than, DOT and Snell. I've never worn any of these helmets and I'm not advocating buying them. They are more expensive than the Licks and Bells. Just giving you some options to consider. I'm seriously considering a couple of different European full face designs, mostly because they are very unique looking and by all accounts just as well made as their US equivalents.

Just a thought. Good luck with it.

Last edited by Ergonight; 11-18-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Your helmet Input