Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:42 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How many miles on the bike? The maintenance schedule calls for rebuilding the brake system at 25,000 miles. However, I believe and several others I have discussed this with concur, that is just because HD only prints maintenance schedule up to 25,000 miles, and then says......repeat.

I've never rebuilt my brakes, at 80,000 miles they are working just fine.

First check the little vacuum type top on the brake fluid reservoir. Also check the gasket there for any leaks.

I would replace the brake fluid, but that's not likely your problem here.

Last edited by SportyPig; 11-15-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:12 PM
jwg In RI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is 10,000 on the bike..
I will check that out,,

Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Really, what an astounding noobness regarding how brakes work. Heavy shaking (as hitting a pothole or bump) can distance brake pads from rotor, thus the next braking will have more slack than usual. Race drivers have crashed for this very reason.
yessir , if you are a incompetent mechanic, and have a loose wheel (or bearings) the rotor can knock the pads back in ..wheel/rotor flex due to sorry setup, or cheap parts

however if you have every thing correct , will not happen.
sorry for the crashes...were you the setup man ???..
yeah I am just a noob....
dont ask me to tune up my offroad vehicles

Old 11-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

heybaylor, you should not make posts like this, people may think you are retarded or smoking wrong stuff.
So Casey Stoner had cheap parts on his prototype Honda when he went off track in Japan. Sure.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

I think it would be more helpful...like this forum used to be, if we focused on helping solve this guy's brake problem.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
I think it would be more helpful...like this forum used to be, if we focused on helping solve this guy's brake problem.

On that topic, the only thing I can think of that would cause excessive lever play in the brake is air in the system or a malfunctioning piston like I said earlier.

If it is air, it will feel mushy or spongy. Just a little air might cause some play, but it would be progressive. Like, you would start to squeeze and it would be easy with it eventually tightening up except closer to the bars than it should be.

If it is just no brake power at all, and all the sudden it connects, as if someone just adjusted the lever to actuate closer to the bars, then it's most likely the piston assembly.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 11-15-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jwg In RI
there is 10,000 on the bike..
I will check that out,,
Ok. 10,000 miles on a 10 year old bike. So, that means a lot of sitting with no riding. Humm....which are the most likely areas in the Sporty brake system are most prone to sticking up due to lack of use?

It's possible that the sliding pins are just dirty. Really need to know about the brake fluid level dude!!

If it's just the sliding pins...that is a pretty easy fix.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Ok. 10,000 miles on a 10 year old bike. So, that means a lot of sitting with no riding. Humm....which are the most likely areas in the Sporty brake system are most prone to sticking up due to lack of use?

It's possible that the sliding pins are just dirty. Really need to know about the brake fluid level dude!!

If it's just the sliding pins...that is a pretty easy fix.
I bought my 2002 with 7200miles on it. The brake pads were **** at 10000miles. Turns out that the brake pistons (the part that pushes the pad against the disc) were so dirty and corroded that they were stuck out and wore out the brake pad slowly but surely.

Ended up doing full rebuilds on both front and rear calipers. Took them apart and cleaned/polished the pistons and flushed the whole system. The brake fluid was yellow/cream (supposed to be a clear purple) and it was dirty as hell.

How much you wanna bet the same thing is going on here?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Scuba, that could be the case. Bikes don't do well when they just sit around in a garage...or worse, outside.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
I bought my 2002 with 7200miles on it. The brake pads were **** at 10000miles. Turns out that the brake pistons (the part that pushes the pad against the disc) were so dirty and corroded that they were stuck out and wore out the brake pad slowly but surely.

Ended up doing full rebuilds on both front and rear calipers. Took them apart and cleaned/polished the pistons and flushed the whole system. The brake fluid was yellow/cream (supposed to be a clear purple) and it was dirty as hell.

How much you wanna bet the same thing is going on here?
I would bet with you ..MY Fatboy sat about 5 years , with 600 miles on it .
the front brake was spongey, would go to grip and not lock up.

the pistons in the caliper were stuck/binding ..
popped the caliper pistons out , cleaned re-filled the dot 5 , and viola !!
hard brake lever, can skid the front wheel (if I want to)..
and have yet to have a "hard bump" knock the pads away from the disc

Quick Reply: front brakes