Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012 | 07:38 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
fvck man.....almost 100 pages and this thing is still not on the road. has to be killing you, can't wait to see the final pics before turning that thing over. nicely done with that paint!
Thanks bmx. I'm just going with the flow now. It gets done whenever.

Old 07-30-2012 | 07:47 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Zack Bradley
I just went through EVERY page and have a few questions about some of the mods.

1) How and what all did you use to get the welds on the back look so smooth and nice?

2) How did you clean the tank out after you cut it for the spedo? And were you able to make the button on the back of the spedo functional?

3) May I copy and possibly enhance the spedo tank idea?

Bike is going to look amazing when it is finished!! Wish I had a garage or even shed I could work on my bike in.
Thanks Zach.

1) That was mostly Oz working with a hand grinder. In some cases he filled some low spots with weld and then grinded smooth. He's pretty amazing with that grinder.

2) The tank is pretty clean inside. Haven't done much of anything to it. There is some surface rust in a few spots I can see from the water I used when wet sanding. But I don't think it's anything to worry about. The button on the speedo is hooked up and will be under the tank if I need to use it.

3) Hell ya man. Copy away and good luck with it. That's why I posted it.

Old 07-30-2012 | 07:51 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by chrisbhoy
Hey Ergo, been following your thread for a long time from over here in Scotland, loving your work! I rattle canned my bike- I put a black base on the tank and then my mate put some custom art on it, man that was nerve shredding, waiting to see how it looked after the clear and polish. It looks like your patience has paid off big style, yours looks great. Looking forward to seeing the finished bike mate.
Thank you Chris. Nerve shredding is a great way to put it. I'm still worried about the side covers, which I haven't done yet. Wonder how it's gonna come out with those stickers under the clear coat. It looks fine now but I have to wet sand and polish...and who knows? I'm gonna try and finish them tomorrow...

Old 07-30-2012 | 09:48 PM
Devils Cut
Tourer

Now that's one cool make over. I want to see it when done & painted. Very nice work as well

Old 07-31-2012 | 02:27 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Devils Cut
Now that's one cool make over. I want to see it when done & painted. Very nice work as well
Thanks DC. Me to.

Old 08-04-2012 | 05:41 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master
Thumbs up Success!!

Let me cut right to the chase. It's phucking awesome!!
Name:  0804121627a.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  350.8 KB
Name:  0804121356a.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  347.4 KB
Name:  0804121625a.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  350.0 KB
Name:  0804121626a.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  337.9 KB

We worked on it till midnight last night, fabbing the license plate/ignition switch bracket and the headlight mount. Got them done and painted. Came back today at noon and installed them. Took it off the jack, rolled it outside, put gas in the tank, switched it on and hit the start button. It started on the first turn of the starter. Not even a hesitation. No cranking. Just pure Harley sound. Sweet!!!

I let it warm up for a few minutes and then ran it around the back parking lot and yard for a few laps. The exhaust wrap was smoking like hell, which is normal. Let it run for 10 minutes or so then shut it off. Checked the oil - good. Checked for leaks - didn't see any. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and we all just sat and stared at it. I'm sure I had a grin from ear to ear. Probably still do.

Fired it up again and this time I ran it out of town and down the road for about 2 miles and then back. Ran perfect. Sounds awesome. Amazing. Brought it back and let it sit again for 15-20 minutes. Then Ozzie took it for a spin...he was gone for 10 minutes or so. When he got back I figured I might as well get it inspected so Oz jumped on his Vulcan Ratbike and we headed out for a place that is about 10 miles up the road. When we got there the place was closed so we just came on back. On the way we ducked into an old factory in town and took some shots with my phone camera.

Yes, I know I promised a video. And we took a video. I even got my brother's GoPro camera to do it with. The problem is...my videographer took the bloody video upside down and I'm still trying to figure out how to flip it. (Max...we'll talk later...)

When I get the video sorted out I'll post it up. Promise. I'll also show some detail on the plate bracket and headlight. For now, it's back in the shop. I need to go over it and make sure everything is still tight, check for leaks and make a few minor adjustments....there's a bit of decel pop, I assume from the addition of the exhaust, but by the end of the ride that was almost completely gone. And it's running flawlessly, and fast. Nonetheless, I'm gonna adjust the Vied to make the mixture a bit richer.

More to follow...

Old 08-04-2012 | 05:47 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

WoOhOo!! Wish I were there to ride with you buddy...well done!

Old 08-04-2012 | 06:22 PM
FlatIron
Tourer

*****! Yeah bro!!!! Congrats, I'm
Psyched as hell for you! Looks awesome!! So clean!! I'm not gonna lie I'm a little upset the the "Nightster Winter Makeover" thread is finished lol

Old 08-04-2012 | 06:29 PM
Wander
Tourer

Congrats Ergo!!! ( and Ozzie )

The day has arrived that we all hoped, for your sake, would come soon and at the same time dreaded its arrival. Here's hoping you guys find another project we can all vicariously follow.

Old 08-04-2012 | 06:36 PM
scaldwellk
Tourer

Love it. If I was there I would have bought you a cold one for one of the best looking bikes I ever seen.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover