Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012 | 02:10 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mozvader
Johnny Walker Blue indeed...

Old 07-25-2012 | 08:21 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Ok, so a couple days ago I put another two coats of clear on everything after sanding with 1200 and then 2000 grit. It turned out really good, with very little, but some, orange peel. Today when I got home I wet sanded the rear fender using 2000 grit and then some 3000 grit I picked up today. Then, having taken Street's advice I used some Meguiar's fine cut cleaner on it, also picked up today. Holy ****. After about 30 minutes of polishing it was flat out amazing. I am really impressed. And happy. And relieved. This painting project is really nerve wracking because no matter what you do, no matter how good things seem to be going, you simply don't know how it's going to turn out until you polish the clear. There are so many things that can go wrong along the way. Well, I polished it and the fender looks really phucking good!

Name:  0725121911.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  219.3 KB
Name:  0725121912.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  214.2 KB

I still have to use the 3M Perfect-It Durable Glaze on it. That should bring out the shine even more and completely eliminate the very, very faint scratches that are still visible if you look really close. And then...wax it? I don't know. Right now I'm just loving the way it looks.

Now, if only the tank can turn out as well...

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:03 PM
DougYITBOS
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ergonight

...Right now I'm just loving the way it looks...
So are we!!

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:26 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master

"Johnny Walker Blue...neat..."

John Barr, also neat. Damn, I'm gettin' thirsty...gotta quit hanging out at this thread.

Old 07-25-2012 | 10:09 PM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Ok, so a couple days ago I put another two coats of clear on everything after sanding with 1200 and then 2000 grit. It turned out really good, with very little, but some, orange peel. Today when I got home I wet sanded the rear fender using 2000 grit and then some 3000 grit I picked up today. Then, having taken Street's advice I used some Meguiar's fine cut cleaner on it, also picked up today. Holy ****. After about 30 minutes of polishing it was flat out amazing. I am really impressed. And happy. And relieved. This painting project is really nerve wracking because no matter what you do, no matter how good things seem to be going, you simply don't know how it's going to turn out until you polish the clear. There are so many things that can go wrong along the way. Well, I polished it and the fender looks really phucking good!

I still have to use the 3M Perfect-It Durable Glaze on it. That should bring out the shine even more and completely eliminate the very, very faint scratches that are still visible if you look really close. And then...wax it? I don't know. Right now I'm just loving the way it looks.

Now, if only the tank can turn out as well...
Great job!
I cant believe you did that using just spray paint.
I pour glass of Johnny Walker Black in your honor. (I'll save the blue for when you finish)

Old 07-25-2012 | 10:29 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Meh, looks like a three year old did it.

Heh heh, just teasin...looks phenomenal!

Old 07-25-2012 | 10:39 PM
DougYITBOS
Tourer

I can't believe you did that with rattle cans.
How will it hold up vs. a "pro" job?
Will that paint job age differently?

Old 07-26-2012 | 03:23 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by DougYITBOS
So are we!!
Originally Posted by DougYITBOS
I can't believe you did that with rattle cans.
How will it hold up vs. a "pro" job?
Will that paint job age differently?
Thanks man. I don't know how it will hold up over the long term. My guess is that the paint job is only as "tough" or durable as the clear coat. That is the main reason I used 3 cans of the 2k clear coat at $22 per can. It is supposed to perform similarly to profssional grade 2 part clear, being very chemical and weather resistant. I'm hoping that will give it some legs. But who knows? No question that you can't get the same kind of even paint coverage or high performance from rattle cans. It doesn't go on as smooth or as uniform as from a sprayer and the rattle can enamel paint itself probably isn't nearly as durable or long lasting as a $300 per quart multi-stage urethane layed down with an $800 HVLP sprayer. However, it looks great (so far) and I'm guessing (hoping) that with the good clear it'll hold up a couple of years before it needs to be replaced. If I get that I'll be satisfied. I've got about $175 into it at this point, and if it holds up that long it'll be time for another winter project anyway.

Old 07-26-2012 | 03:29 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mozvader
Great job!
I cant believe you did that using just spray paint.
I pour glass of Johnny Walker Black in your honor. (I'll save the blue for when you finish)
Thanks Moz. Ya, save the blue until the end when there's really something to celebrate. Soon...

Old 07-26-2012 | 03:32 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
"Johnny Walker Blue...neat..."

John Barr, also neat. Damn, I'm gettin' thirsty...gotta quit hanging out at this thread.
This project surely will drive you to drink.
Never had the John Barr. I'll have to give that a try...

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover