Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011 | 12:23 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
Hahaha...I was actually going to say Duracoat then saw you mentioned it half way though post, but thought it had to be baked on like the old Norrels product. I'm mostly a Glock and AR guy, but I'm not much into the paint thing. There's also a Cerakoat product that I'd look into as well.
I bought some OD green and flat black Duracoat last winter and did several revolvers, a Colt 1911, a mini-14 and an AK. All of them came out nice and it was easy stuff to use, even for a first time air brusher like myself. I haven't done the AR's or the Glocks because, well, they look fine the way they are.

I'll look into the Cerakoat. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2011 | 12:29 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by justglidin
Bro this is one of the best threads ive seen!!!!!!!!!!! Im hooked and subscribed!!!!!! I love all the details you are putting into the bike and the updates....PLEASE keep them coming!!!!!!! Ive been a industrial mechanic for 20+ years and some of the stuff yall are doing i still wouldnt try but now your making me think twice about it. Yall for sure have talent and BIG SET!!!!! Jackal im like you, i love the RAW look. Go for it!!!
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Glad you like the thread. I will try to keep the updates coming.

Old 11-30-2011 | 12:56 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Ergonight - I'm keeping some of these pictures for a project I'd like to do if I don't get too old first. You've convinced me to tear down the engine/trans if I ever do a case/cylinder paint job; that work doesn't scare me (retired mechanic) and looks like it would take less time than that painstaking cleanup job you did. You really have patience! Looking forward to seeing the finish pictures - and the ones in between.

Old 11-30-2011 | 01:09 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Imold
Ergonight - I'm keeping some of these pictures for a project I'd like to do if I don't get too old first. You've convinced me to tear down the engine/trans if I ever do a case/cylinder paint job; that work doesn't scare me (retired mechanic) and looks like it would take less time than that painstaking cleanup job you did. You really have patience! Looking forward to seeing the finish pictures - and the ones in between.
Thanks Imold! At least all my pain, frustration and aggravation has been helpful to someone.

Old 12-02-2011 | 09:41 AM
juanmanuelrojascavaliere
Intermediate

keep on!

Old 12-02-2011 | 10:08 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by juanmanuelrojascavaliere
keep on!
Will do man. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2011 | 08:37 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master
Default Status Update

I've been waiting on the powder coater to finish my wheels, lower fork tubes and some other small items. They originally told me two weeks and it's been three and a half now. I talked to them on Friday and was told that they might have the stuff done "early" this week.

In the meantime, I spent a few hours yesterday doing what will probably be the last of the engine clean up and then remounted it back in the frame. If you've never done this, it takes three men and a small boy to do it without busting a gut or damaging something. Not a lengthy process...I had the mounts laid out and ready to go. Slide the front of the engine in from the right side, swing the *** end into place, then one guy holds the engine while the other two get the rubber mounts in place and bolt everything up. Took us about ten minutes to get the engine from the bench into the frame. Here's the way it's sitting now.
Name:  PC040046.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  145.6 KB

Name:  PC040049.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  150.6 KB

As soon as the powdercoater comes through, I'll start getting it all mocked up with the new tires mounted, the new front end on, etc.

Old 12-05-2011 | 08:58 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Bet you are just itching to get this back together buddy.

Old 12-05-2011 | 09:33 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

You got that right Rick. All the waiting around while it's in a thousand pieces is a real killer. And while it's nice to have full access to the shop, it's 30 minutes from my house, which means I can't just pop out to tinker with it...or even just stare at it for a few minutes. I have to be able to set aside at least a couple of hours for it. Ya, I will be glad to get this over with.

Old 12-05-2011 | 11:21 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Surprised your not gonna weld on a hardtail while it's all apart.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover