Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012 | 12:03 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
looks great man....wet sanding is the key for that water like finish. great job bro!
Yup. Been sanding my *** off. Still on the first color and have a long way to go but I'm ok with it so far. I should have started this weeks ago but couldn't decide who or how to do this, so I'm stuck now with this part holding up everything. With the wiring done there are only a few other things left to do before we fire it up. Oh well.

Thanks bmx!

Old 07-10-2012 | 12:10 PM
Midlife79
Tourer

Just remember the bars and be patient with the paint drying!!!

I just repainted my drag bars and I'm waiting extra long because I learned from your post.

Old 07-10-2012 | 12:45 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

ha! i fell victim to not waiting long enough more than once. did i hear you say "fire it up ergo". oh boy i'm feeling all giddy inside. lol.

Old 07-11-2012 | 07:25 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Midlife79
Just remember the bars and be patient with the paint drying!!!

I just repainted my drag bars and I'm waiting extra long because I learned from your post.

Originally Posted by bmxatv
ha! i fell victim to not waiting long enough more than once. did i hear you say "fire it up ergo". oh boy i'm feeling all giddy inside. lol.
OMFG, I did it again last night. As noted earlier, I put the second coat of grey on the tank and fender Monday. Came home last night and checked them out. They looked really good, but the tank had a small piece of dust or something on the side (I don't have a paint booth) near the rear. Everything looked really dry and cured, and even though it says to give it 48 hours I thought with the heat and all I could go ahead and wet sand it with some 1200 grit and get rid of that little spot, then be ready to put another coat on tomorrow. That little spec of a bump in the paint turned into a big spot because the paint wasn't fully cured underneath. It's not a huge deal and I'm hoping it'll be fully cured tonight. But damn...you'd think I would have learned by now.

Ya, bmx, aside from paint, there's the license plate bracket and Oz has to craft a small bracket to mount the headlight on the lower triple clamp. I need to put oil in it, adjust the primary chain and put tranny fluid in, put brake fluid in the front brake and bleed it, add some fork oil...and that's about it.

I finished the headlight and put a coat of primer on that last night (after phucking up the tank). I drilled a hole in the back of the bucket to accomodate the high low switch. It's located so if I have to use it I can just reach down with my left hand and it's right there. This is the stock Nightster headlight and I just flipped it over so the mount is on the bottom. The original hole for the wires is now coming out on the right side, perfect to line up with the wires coming out of the bars going back under the tank.
Name:  0710121717.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  204.9 KB
Name:  0710121718.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  224.9 KB
Name:  0710121718a.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  250.2 KB

But I've got at least a week or more before the paint is gonna be done.

Last edited by Ergonight; 07-12-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2012 | 08:23 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Did you have to redo the whole thing or is that little spot fixable?

Old 07-11-2012 | 02:56 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wakko47
Did you have to redo the whole thing or is that little spot fixable?
I think it's fixable. I'll find out later. Should be fully cured by tonight. If all goes well it's just a quick sand on that spot and do another coat of grey.

Old 07-11-2012 | 04:09 PM
Jackal
Road Master

End is in sight!?!? Congrats man, can't wait and I know you can't either.

Old 07-12-2012 | 06:22 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
End is in sight!?!? Congrats man, can't wait and I know you can't either.
Thanks Jackal. Ya, end in sight. Adjusted the primary chain and filled er up with transmission fluid today. Also painted the headlight. Only thing left to do to the motor is fill it with oil. Need the headlight bracket and the license plate bracket and it will be done...I think. Aside from the tins.

I sanded and put another coat of grey on the tank and fender last night. Came out looking really good. Tomorrow I'll sand that with some 1500 grit and then start taping off the pin stripe using some 1/8" vinyl tape. I'm using clear vinyl sheeting to do the lettering. That's gonna be interesting. Once that's done it's simply a matter of two coats of orange, mask that off, 2 coats of black, and one or two coats of clear.

The side covers are done with the black and just waiting for the other stuff to catch up so I can clear coat everything together.

Old 07-12-2012 | 06:30 PM
scaldwellk
Tourer

You need to video tape the first fire up and first ride for us to see.

Old 07-12-2012 | 08:33 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

hahaha...ya, ok, I'll tell you what. I'll (try to) video tape it. If it goes well I'll post it. If it doesn't...

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover