Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012 | 07:34 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Ya, I know. Hey thanks for reminding me Voony.
Thank YOU for providing us with year round good reading :-)

Old 06-14-2012 | 08:01 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Riding season, ergo!

Old 06-15-2012 | 08:24 PM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer

Get'r Done! We're already into Hurricane season. I want to see the finished product.

Old 06-15-2012 | 08:29 PM
Midlife79
Tourer

Put it at the type of a hill and roll down it as-is so we can get some enjoyment out of you!!!

You're going to name this thing the "Odyssey" right?

Old 06-18-2012 | 07:21 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by HERE
So if I'm understanding correctly you'll have hi/low switch and left signal on left. Then on the right you'll have start button and right signal? And the current dilemma is what to do with the start button?

2 possible options.

A soleniod mounted starter button. Would be nice and hidden out of sight.

Or replace your current key/ignition for an automotive style one. With a key position that would be Off/Run/Start.
Sorry guys, I was off line for the weekend...

Thanks for the suggestions Here. I've read about some guys putting the automotive style ignition on their bike, and that's not a bad idea. But, I guess I prefer the starter button on the bars.

No, the issue is position of the hi/low switch vs. horn button. Ozzie and I talked about it over the weekend and we agreed that we use the high/low switch and the horn button about the same number of times when we ride...exactly zero times. So it's six of one, half dozen the other when it comes to which should be located where. It comes down to aesthetics and putting the toggle on the headlight with two red buttons on each clamp will look best and work fine. That's the plan, when I finally get the bars painted...

I stopped in there on Saturday morning to check them out. I had (re)painted on Wednesday or Thursday and they'd had at least two days to dry. Again, they felt dry to the touch and looked ok, but when I set them down on the bench the paint was soft and marked easily by anything they came into contact with. I think I screwed up originally by not allowing enough time between coats...rushing What was happening (I'm guessing) is that the coat underneath wasn't curing completely so even though the top coat felt dry it was soft underneath and couldn't cure due to the coat of paint on top of it.

I was royally pissed, stuck them in the cabinet and blasted them clean. I'm giving paint one last chance. Threw a coat of primer on them and they've been sitting since then. Drying. Hopefully. I'll do a coat of black in the next day or two and let that sit for at least 48 hours...like the can says. Then see what it looks like. Maybe do two coats of black.

I apologize to those of you who've asked, I forgot to ask Oz where he got the buttons...and I will ask the next time we get together, which will hopefully be sometime this week.

Old 06-18-2012 | 07:22 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by IVthCrusade
if you're keeping the horn, i say two reds on each and throw the hi beam switch on the light
You nailed it IVth. Exactly what we're gonna do.

Old 06-18-2012 | 07:25 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Voony
Thank YOU for providing us with year round good reading :-)
Hey, hey now. I know it seems like a year but I started this in October. It'll be done long before the year is up. Maybe sometime in September.

Old 06-18-2012 | 07:28 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Riding season, ergo!
lol. Ya man, I am painfully aware.

Old 06-18-2012 | 07:36 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by marine_hm@hotmail.com
Get'r Done! We're already into Hurricane season. I want to see the finished product.
Trying marine. We're actually pretty close. If I could get these damn bars painted. We might start the exhaust this weekend. And then it's just a few small things...and paint the tins. Ya, we should be done in a couple of weeks.

Originally Posted by Midlife79
Put it at the type of a hill and roll down it as-is so we can get some enjoyment out of you!!!

You're going to name this thing the "Odyssey" right?
Without bars I can't even roll it around the shop. I've called it a few names lately. Odyssey wasn't one of them but it certainly has been that. I'm gonna name it something.

Old 06-18-2012 | 08:19 AM
scaldwellk
Tourer

I don't know who wants to see this finished the most. Ergo our us?

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover