Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012 | 06:42 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Damn man, I honestly didn't realize. Sorry street.

How are the temps in the evening? Any better?
Yeah, but by then I'm drunk so i don't ride. Hahahaha.

Old 05-31-2012 | 07:33 PM
GWinkleman
Road Captain

Ok, that makes sense. I guess the hottest weather I've ridden in was North Carolina in the summer - 98 degrees with 98% humidity. Riding was a pleasure in those conditions. Didn't think about the dry heat factor of the AZ/South Texas variety. You gize have my sympathies...but only for a couple of months a year.
I also live in Phoenix. I grew up here and I would much rather ride in 115 deg with 10% humidity than 90 deg with 90% humidity. The humidity is the killer that soaks your clothes and makes the inside of your helmet smell like death after a few days. It may feel like an oven here, but you stay dry. I ride everyday in jeans, gloves, FF helmet, and long sleeve textile jacket and I'm barely breaking a sweat as I walk inside to work. As they say, it's a dry heat

*EDIT* Red lights are the worst though. As long as you keep moving it's bearable. Red lights cause you to melt faster than the wicked witch of the west.

Last edited by GWinkleman; 06-01-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-31-2012 | 07:50 PM
Dnightshifter
Stage IV

I want to thank you for changing the profile to an updated version of your beautiful machine Sir!. I ride mine 124 miles round trip every day for work or I fear I would be in WAY over my head after 6 hours of digging through this site!!! You guys ALL kick a**! I love the coil mount idea and the new paint. I did want to ask what brand and type of paint you used on the cylinder heads though? Is that rifle paint or ceramic coating??? And have you fired the engine with them painted? Also I think I remember you had the Vance and Hines 2-1 competitor pipes are you making customs? I must have missed that thread... sorry if you covered that already.
ALSO... the Zombie apocolypse might be here already... thanks Florida

Also I can chime in on the weather. I spent 4 tours in Iraq. I would say after 2 tours in a gunners turret doing 50-60 mph during the summer months that 110-125 degrees is more like a blast furnace in your face than an oven. But I would still take it any day over the low to mid 50s I ride in every day here in Washington. Like Mr. Winkleman says its a DRY HEAT!

Last edited by Dnightshifter; 05-31-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 05-31-2012 | 11:56 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Imold
I moved to Phoenix in September 73, 115 the day I got there. Bought a used Honda 750 right away since only went there with one car & wife needed it. Took the frame mount fairing/shield off right away, rode to work, got home & put the fairing back on, & wore leather gloves to protect from the heat. If it's really humid and 100+, speed cools; really dry and 100+, it acts more like a convection oven, speed just increases the pain. I'd rather dress for it and ride at 32 than 102 - you can't ride naked, and that wouldn't really help anyway.
Ergonight: Ok, that makes sense. I guess the hottest weather I've ridden in was North Carolina in the summer - 98 degrees with 98% humidity. Riding was a pleasure in those conditions. Didn't think about the dry heat factor of the AZ/South Texas variety. You gize have my sympathies...but only for a couple of months a year.
I forgot to say I moved to Minnesota in 89. So I kind of miss AZ 4 or 5 months a year. But if I was in AZ, would miss MN 7 or 8 months a year.

Old 06-01-2012 | 04:57 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Yeah, but by then I'm drunk so i don't ride. Hahahaha.
Cheers!

Old 06-01-2012 | 05:17 PM
whataboutbob
Advanced

Repainted the coil bracket using the Harley "Texture Black" engine paint, and while I was at it I redid the AC with the same paint. Matches the cylinders much better than the "Wrinkle Black". Also installed the new plug wires from DK Custom.
Wow Ergonight, you think you'll be able to ride it sometime this summer? Awesome work dude.

Old 06-01-2012 | 05:31 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dnightshifter
I want to thank you for changing the profile to an updated version of your beautiful machine Sir!. I ride mine 124 miles round trip every day for work or I fear I would be in WAY over my head after 6 hours of digging through this site!!! You guys ALL kick a**! I love the coil mount idea and the new paint. I did want to ask what brand and type of paint you used on the cylinder heads though? Is that rifle paint or ceramic coating??? And have you fired the engine with them painted? Also I think I remember you had the Vance and Hines 2-1 competitor pipes are you making customs? I must have missed that thread... sorry if you covered that already.
ALSO... the Zombie apocolypse might be here already... thanks Florida

Also I can chime in on the weather. I spent 4 tours in Iraq. I would say after 2 tours in a gunners turret doing 50-60 mph during the summer months that 110-125 degrees is more like a blast furnace in your face than an oven. But I would still take it any day over the low to mid 50s I ride in every day here in Washington. Like Mr. Winkleman says its a DRY HEAT!
Hey thanks Dnight. The paint I used on the motor is the Harley "Texture Black" engine paint. Originally I was thinking of using Duracoat high temp firearms paint. I've used Duracoat on my guns and I painted a set of highway pegs with it last summer and it holds up really well. But it's also expensive, so I decided just to go with the Harley rattle can. It ain't cheap, but it seems to be very durable and it looks great.

Note that Harley makes (at least) two kinds of engine paint: "Texture" black and "Wrinkle" black. Texture black, what I used on my engine, is flat black and looks like it has sand or something similar mixed in; and, "Wrinkle" black, which goes on glossy and after an hour or two (if you do it right) wrinkles up into a roughed out glossy surface. As I understand it, Harley has used texture black paint on it's blacked out engines for the last several years. The wrinkle black was in use prior to that. Or at least that's what one of the guys at the local Harley shop told me last week when I bought another can of it...for twenty something bucks.

The two paints look completely different so be sure you get the right one. If you want flat black ask for "texture". If you want a more glossy finish ask for "wrinkle". Even some of the people at the Stealership didn't understand there was a difference or that Harley made two different kinds of black engine paint so make sure you get the one you want.

And yes, I know some of you will say that there are cheaper alternatives out there that are just as good as the Harley engine paint for a third of the price. That's fine and feel free to share the brands. I don't like to give money needlessly to the Stealer any more than the next guy and if there's a better or equally good alternative...well, that's what we're trying to do here - provide good information so others can avoid our mistakes. But I can attest to the quality of the Harley paint. At least so far it appears to wear like iron.

Old 06-01-2012 | 05:48 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by whataboutbob
Wow Ergonight, you think you'll be able to ride it sometime this summer? Awesome work dude.
lol...ya, thanks man. I hope to think so.

Oz and I are going to try and finish the bars tomorrow. That's a tall order...internal throttle, all the switches built in, wiring, levers, bar end signals and mirror...I doubt we will "finish" them. But we're going to make a big dent in all of that tomorrow. Really finish the bars next weekend and start on the exhaust. Finish the exhaust the weekend after that. We've already discussed the plate/ignition switch mount and that shouldn't take long (you'll have to wait and see that one), headlight should go quickly, prep/paint is the long pole in the tent right now...still don't know who's gonna do it. But I'm still hoping for the end of this month. My birthday is not long after that and if I'm riding by then I will be a happy camper.

Old 06-01-2012 | 05:54 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Imold
I forgot to say I moved to Minnesota in 89. So I kind of miss AZ 4 or 5 months a year. But if I was in AZ, would miss MN 7 or 8 months a year.
Ya, I'm with you Imold. There is good and bad everywhere. The winters here can be brutal sometimes but the summers are usually really nice. No tornados, no hurricanes, more sun than rain and the humidity isn't nearly as bad as the southeast, bugs are managable, temps get hot but not blast furnace hot...I can live with it.

Old 06-01-2012 | 06:21 PM
J3r3myC0x
Intermediate

No tornados, no hurricanes
lmao, how's the weather for you right now though. At work I saw that the DC area had some Tornado Warnings and you aren't that far away...

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover