Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011 | 06:38 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master
Default More motor work

Got a few hours in the shop today and spent the time striping and scraping more paint from the motor. I know...borrrrring. But it's got to get done, and I managed to finish the bottom end.

Name:  PB280033.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  120.5 KB

Looking closer at the top half it looks as though the only part of the cylinders that need to be scraped is the front of the forward cylinder. So I started on that. Forgot to take some pictures of the work but I've got a ways to go so I'll get pics the next time I work on, probably this weekend. In the meantime, I thought you might like to see the assortment of tools that I used to clean up the motor.

Name:  PB280036.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  123.2 KB

Lastly, as you may recall, I'm going to have the side cases and the rocker covers powder coated. So in anticipation for someday being able to put the whole thing back together again, and wanting the hardware to look better than the corroded HD crap that's on there now, I ordered a stainless hardware kit from Alloyboltz.com. It was 75 bucks altogether and seems fairly complete, at least for the bolts that are observable. Here it is (it also came with bolts for the belt guard but since I'm not reinstalling that I didn't include them in the pic):
Name:  PB280041.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  146.1 KB

So that's it for today. Made a little progress but nothing major. Still waiting on the powder coater to finish the wheels and fork tubes. They said two weeks and that was two and a half weeks ago. So hopefully, I'll hear from them this week and I'll mount the tires and put the new WG front end on, then start mocking up everything in the frame. I will keep you posted.

Old 11-28-2011 | 07:29 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Keep them coming!!!

Old 11-28-2011 | 09:31 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

This is just so much work. I have to say I am impressed. I will want to keep an eye on the rest of this project.

Old 11-28-2011 | 09:56 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

Am I the only idiot that hasn't seen this thread...WTF and Holy **** man, you are knockin that N outta the freakin ballpark with all this work. Your brother inlaw the welder is good...I am a fabricator by trade and I see a lot of **** poor welding on high dollar cycles. I really can't wait to see that sumbitch when it's done !!! Keep up the great work man and dont take any short cuts do it right hell you are already this far into that sucker. Awesome job so far bud keep it up !!

Old 11-29-2011 | 12:15 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Nice work and dedication Ergo! I got the same bolt kit for mine to replace the crusty ones on my bike. You will come up a few short for the gearcase side and the rocker box bolts are too long, but overall a pretty good deal on the kit.

Old 11-29-2011 | 02:43 AM
MarksBOB
Road Captain

love this thread !!! been so busy lately only just found it.
just about to cut my cam cover so glad to see that in here.
you are sooo lucky to be working in that shop with all the tools.
i have to "make do" with what i have in my shed.

Old 11-29-2011 | 08:19 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Keep them coming!!!

Will do man. Thanks. Been following your thread, btw. Great motivation for me.

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
This is just so much work. I have to say I am impressed. I will want to keep an eye on the rest of this project.
Thanks Badlands!

Originally Posted by Aaron48
Am I the only idiot that hasn't seen this thread...WTF and Holy **** man, you are knockin that N outta the freakin ballpark with all this work. Your brother inlaw the welder is good...I am a fabricator by trade and I see a lot of **** poor welding on high dollar cycles. I really can't wait to see that sumbitch when it's done !!! Keep up the great work man and dont take any short cuts do it right hell you are already this far into that sucker. Awesome job so far bud keep it up !!
I'll pass along the compliment Aaron. He will appreciate it. The kid really is an artist with both TIG and MIG...hell, with every tool in the shop, and he loves doing this stuff. I used to dabble with arc welding back in the day and I know what a good bead looks like. He is very good. And I hear you about no short cuts. I'm trying to do it right. I just don't want this project to drag on into the summer. Powder coating may be the long pole in the tent. We only have one decent one in this neck of the woods capable of doing the large stuff and they are really busy. They do all the local dirt track race cars getting ready for racing season in the Spring and I'm afraid my stuff is gonna sit there for weeks on end while I twiddle my thumbs waiting for it to get done. So I'm trying to get most of the fab work done asap so I can get the frame into them early. I don't know. Still waiting on the wheels and forks so who knows? But thanks man. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by rickss69
Nice work and dedication Ergo! I got the same bolt kit for mine to replace the crusty ones on my bike. You will come up a few short for the gearcase side and the rocker box bolts are too long, but overall a pretty good deal on the kit.
Thanks Rick. I didn't even think at this point to count the bolts in the package. Did they send you the ones they were short or did you have to buy them?

Originally Posted by MarksBOB
love this thread !!! been so busy lately only just found it.
Originally Posted by MarksBOB
just about to cut my cam cover so glad to see that in here. you are sooo lucky to be working in that shop with all the tools. i have to "make do" with what i have in my shed.
Thanks Marks. Ya, the shop is the only place I'd dare tackle something as extensive as this. The guys that are doing extensive mods in their home garage or driveway with hand tools and sand paper are the real mod masters. The only thing we don't have that would make this project easier would be an indoor sandblasting booth and an oven large enough to powder coat the frame. But you can't have everything. lol

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I will try to keep the updates coming as often as possible.

Old 11-29-2011 | 09:21 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Man, that is awesome work so far. Can't wait to see it finished.

Old 11-29-2011 | 02:45 PM
Outtakes
Road Captain

Great job. With what you've done so far,you should have no problems getting it running again.

Old 11-29-2011 | 03:52 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover