Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012 | 09:54 AM
Midlife79
Tourer

Any chance that bundle can tuck right in front of the fuse block in that picture? I went with mesh wire wrap on mine as well to avoid all the tape/sticky crap if I ever want to redo something. Gives it a little more "finished" look too. Might be worth considering.

Old 05-21-2012 | 11:21 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

looking good dude......winter is coming ya know! lol. i hope you get her together soon so you can throw a leg over it and rip it. still subscribed.

Old 05-21-2012 | 11:42 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

It looks like you could break the ignition switch wires out from the main bundle even with, or a little lower than the switch; wouldn't be hanging out and would be somewhat tucked out of view. I can't tell from the photo if the wires might need to be lengthened to do that. There is heat resistant silicon tubing in a variety of styles, from solid to woven outer layers that might give a better look to the wires going to the engine. I wonder if that big all in one wire bundle could be separated into 2 or 3 smaller bundles that could be spread flatter, possibly one of them even routed on the right side of that frame tube. I know, that would be a lot of work and you'd have to remove all that tape again, certainly not an enjoyable idea. How would you like to install miles of wire in a large airliner?

Old 05-22-2012 | 07:15 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by zero5odc
WHOA.............

First, I have been following this for since the beginning, HUGE Fan. Huge Fan. What kind of Oil Lines are you running? I see Black AN Lines but I dont remember you going over that before. I have been thinking of doing this forever as well. Let me know what you did. Thanks
Thanks man. I used the Goodridge kit. They seem like good lines. Tough. A real bitch to get on the oil pump but once they're on, they're on to stay. You don't need 12' but someone in the shop will use my leftovers. And those little black covers for the hose clamps are kinda nice.

Originally Posted by Midlife79
Any chance that bundle can tuck right in front of the fuse block in that picture? I went with mesh wire wrap on mine as well to avoid all the tape/sticky crap if I ever want to redo something. Gives it a little more "finished" look too. Might be worth considering.
Ya, I worked on it a bit last night. First, I used too much tape the first time. That really made the whole thing way too inflexible. Second, I modified the fuse block mount to allow the fuse blocks to slide about 1/4" farther forward, which created slightly more space between the downtube and the fuse blocks. The real limiting factor however, are the very short wires running from the main harness bundle to the fuse blocks themselves. There's 10-15 wires coming out of the harness going to each fuse block and they're only about an inch, inch and a half long. That makes them inherently stiff and hard to manage [Don't go there bmx...] If you wrap those short wires, like I did the first time, the bundle is so stiff you can't manipulate them into place at all. So this time I just left them unwrapped and with the added space between the blocks and the downtube I can get them to slide in a bit farther. Those wires are behind the fuse blocks and hence, behind the side cover anyway, so you can't see them. So I re-wrapped the harness from the top down, using much less electrical tape and more silicone tape, which is more flexible and more durable, and I didn't use nearly as much tape overall as I did the first time, making the whole harness a bit more manageble.

I still have some work to do on it...trying to manage all of the various wire runs, plug connections, attachment points and battery and ECM placement in that small area is really difficult. Things are really tight in there. But I've basically got it all laid out and it seems to be working. I'll take some new pics later in the week when I get it all buttoned up.

I like the idea of the mesh wire wrap. Do you have a link for what you used?

Old 05-22-2012 | 07:34 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
looking good dude......winter is coming ya know! lol. i hope you get her together soon so you can throw a leg over it and rip it. still subscribed.
Ya. I know. So's the zombie apocolypse. But I don't know if I'll be ready before that arrives either.

Thanks man.

Old 05-22-2012 | 07:41 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Imold
It looks like you could break the ignition switch wires out from the main bundle even with, or a little lower than the switch; wouldn't be hanging out and would be somewhat tucked out of view. I can't tell from the photo if the wires might need to be lengthened to do that. There is heat resistant silicon tubing in a variety of styles, from solid to woven outer layers that might give a better look to the wires going to the engine. I wonder if that big all in one wire bundle could be separated into 2 or 3 smaller bundles that could be spread flatter, possibly one of them even routed on the right side of that frame tube. I know, that would be a lot of work and you'd have to remove all that tape again, certainly not an enjoyable idea. How would you like to install miles of wire in a large airliner?
That's exactly what I did this time Imold - I wrapped that ignition switch branch into the main bundle and broke it out farther down so it's not nearly as noticeable. Didn't have to lengthen the wires to do it. And by using less tape and not wrapping it as tightly I was able to flatten and manipulate it easier. Unwrapping and wrapping it back up only took about an hour, so not too bad. And no, the bike is bad enough. I can't imagine trying to wire anything bigger.

Old 05-22-2012 | 09:43 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Ya. I know. So's the zombie apocolypse. But I don't know if I'll be ready before that arrives either.

Thanks man.
hahaha....you believe in that too huh? the end of the world is coming as well (dec. 21st) and i'd love to see you ride it before then. lol. looking good ergo. couldn't imagine doing all this work but the day you throw a leg over it, that'll be a proud day!

Old 05-22-2012 | 10:11 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Don't you know that in the zombie apocalypse only vintage Triumphs will work?

Attached Thumbnails Nightster Winter Makeover-walkingdeadchopper.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012 | 11:01 AM
Midlife79
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ergonight
I like the idea of the mesh wire wrap. Do you have a link for what you used?
Here's what I got for the wire wrap. You can order by the foot and it's pretty inexpensive. This is rated to 125 degrees C - so I figured it should be ok as long as it's not right up against the motor:
http://www.cableorganizer.com/woven-wrap/?gcssku=RDT075

Old 05-22-2012 | 11:13 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
hahaha....you believe in that too huh? the end of the world is coming as well (dec. 21st) and i'd love to see you ride it before then. lol. looking good ergo. couldn't imagine doing all this work but the day you throw a leg over it, that'll be a proud day!
I gotta say I am looking forward to it. The title of this thread is "Winter Makeover" and here it is almost summer. Never thought it would take this long...

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover