Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012 | 01:04 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Live a long and prosperous life, I'm sure!!!

Old 05-17-2012 | 04:05 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ergonight
The bolts that secure the AC mount to the heads are hollow breather bolts. They vent directly from the engine through the AC mount and into the air intake. Simple and clean. There are no hoses or external filters to worry about.

thats sweet mate, looks nice clean n simple, wot colour we thinking!!

Old 05-19-2012 | 10:45 AM
Dnightshifter
Stage IV

Sir! I applaud your tireless effort. I can trul say I am 4 hours old to your forum site and I have only subscribed because of your thread. I understand the length of time involved to truly do something correct. I will subscribe just as soon as I figure out how. There is so much I will do to my bike... you are an inspiration. Thankyou. And for all the rest, I cannot wait to dig through the wealth of knowledge you have bestowed upon one another. Thanks go to you all as well.

Old 05-20-2012 | 07:36 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by swordy
thats sweet mate, looks nice clean n simple, wot colour we thinking!!

Thanks swordy.

Colour for the tins? Going with the same orange and black Nightster paint scheme but changing it up a bit. Less orange, more black. Been playing around with some different ideas and patterns, using some rattle can paint to mock it up. Got some ideas but haven't finalized them yet.

Old 05-20-2012 | 07:40 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dnightshifter
Sir! I applaud your tireless effort. I can trul say I am 4 hours old to your forum site and I have only subscribed because of your thread. I understand the length of time involved to truly do something correct. I will subscribe just as soon as I figure out how. There is so much I will do to my bike... you are an inspiration. Thankyou. And for all the rest, I cannot wait to dig through the wealth of knowledge you have bestowed upon one another. Thanks go to you all as well.
Thanks Dnight! Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information here and lots of folks with a ton of knowledge willing to share. A year ago I would never have imagined I'd have gotten this far into modding my bike. This project is mostly the result of spending time reading about all the great mods and ideas right here.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2012 | 07:50 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Made some progress on the wiring over the weekend, but I'm not satisfied with the result.

We got the main harness in the battery box area all soldered up. If you recall, we took the wires from the fuel injectors, extended them, ran them up into the frame and then back and down, out the bottom of the main downtube under the battery box. Then we cut off the big plastic connector on the wiring harness and decided to just hard wire the injector wires right into the harness. That was the last big job to do on the harness before wrapping and stowing the whole thing somewhere in the battery box area under the side covers. This is what it looked like when I started the process of wrapping.
Name:  P5180008.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  133.2 KB

I tried to break the bundle down into branches - one for the ECM, one for the ignition, one for each fuse block, one for the fuel pump/coil/rear cylinder heat sensor. I used some zip ties to sort of segregate the wires and just started wrapping. Here's what I ended up with.
Name:  P5190010.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  144.6 KB

Here it is with the battery box and battery in place. As you can see, it's really cleaned up a lot. But I am just not satisfied with how far out in front of the side cover that bundle protrudes. And I don't like the way the branch for the ignition switch sticks out.
Name:  P5200009.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  124.4 KB
Name:  P5200010.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  95.0 KB
Name:  P5200012.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  84.6 KB

So, I 'm gonna pull it all apart and do it over...

I also ran some new oil lines. For some reason, they were a real bitch getting them to slide onto the nipples on the oil pump. Probably took an hour to get the feed and return lines attached. Not done attaching the return line to the tank and I have to get some new clamps for the vent line, obviously.
Name:  P5200013.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  111.0 KB
Name:  P5200014.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  93.7 KB

Old 05-21-2012 | 07:58 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

What'd you use as a wrap?

Old 05-21-2012 | 08:06 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Only thing that comes to mind is maybe make a rubber or plastic shroud to cover that area in front of the battery box.

Old 05-21-2012 | 08:50 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wakko47
What'd you use as a wrap?
I used a combination of electrical tape and self-adhering silicone tape. The silicone is great stuff but it's very hard to work with and trying to wrap it in tight spots is next to impossible.

Originally Posted by rickss69
Only thing that comes to mind is maybe make a rubber or plastic shroud to cover that area in front of the battery box.
Something to think about. I was also thinking that Ozzie might be able to extend or modify the side cover, but I haven't talked to him about that yet.

Old 05-21-2012 | 09:34 AM
zero5odc
Novice
Default Oil Lines

WHOA.............

First, I have been following this for since the beginning, HUGE Fan. Huge Fan. What kind of Oil Lines are you running? I see Black AN Lines but I dont remember you going over that before. I have been thinking of doing this forever as well. Let me know what you did. Thanks

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover