Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012 | 09:21 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bigbush
you sir will never have to renew your man card. i can not wait to see you get the rubber on the road and see the final product. just dont fack it up and paint it yellow!
Thanks man. I can't wait to get it done either.

Old 05-13-2012 | 09:25 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by rickss69
Don't let them fool you Ergo...yellow is hot!
Nothin wrong with yellow and black.

Old 05-13-2012 | 09:35 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by ANESTHESIA
Looking fantastic! After taking off a few parts off my 48, I couldn't believe how shoddy the craftsmanship was. It looked like a kindergartener welded the frame. Does no one take pride in their work anymore?
Exactly. Mass produced, assembly line work I suppose. They cover most of it up with plastic and metal covers and all those stickers and labels that come from the factory, anyway.

Thanks Anesthesia.

Old 05-13-2012 | 09:43 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rog48
Cant remember if I read it or not. Are you ringing out the wires after each bundle run? I would ring the wire itself, the wire to ground and that wire to other wires in the bundle to be sure there are no problems. I think it would be a lot easier to fix a bad wire before ALL the wires are run.
No, that's not a bad idea Rog, but I'm taking it one wire at a time and I'm being pretty careful to ensure they're good joints before I shrink wrap each one. We're gonna test the components and fire it up before we completely button it up. Hopefully, it all works without too much hassle.

Old 05-13-2012 | 09:44 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Haddy
looking sick dude.
Thanks Haddy.

Old 05-14-2012 | 02:04 AM
Tundra bob
Tourer

Put the younguns to bed, and sat on the couch, pulled out my iPhone to have a little surf on the forum during my "quiet time".
Clicked on this thread, and was enthralled right from the start.....2.5 hours ago! It's like a good book, you can't wait to load the next page to see what happens.
I dunno where to begin to compliment you, everything has been done with such meticulous craftsmanship. Well done, and subscribed.
Ps: you must be very happy to have a son in law that is so skilled, and able to spend time with you like that.
Cheers
Jason

Old 05-15-2012 | 09:25 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tundra bob
Put the younguns to bed, and sat on the couch, pulled out my iPhone to have a little surf on the forum during my "quiet time".
Clicked on this thread, and was enthralled right from the start.....2.5 hours ago! It's like a good book, you can't wait to load the next page to see what happens.
I dunno where to begin to compliment you, everything has been done with such meticulous craftsmanship. Well done, and subscribed.
Ps: you must be very happy to have a son in law that is so skilled, and able to spend time with you like that.
Cheers
Jason
Thanks very much Jason.

One of my goals was to make this somewhat interesting to follow. That's one of the reasons I haven't posted much the last few days despite spending much of the weekend and last night in the shop. This wiring stuff is soooo tedious, I just can't see posting more and more pics of a mess of wires. Even though I've made a lot of progress, there's just not much different to see and until I get everything wrapped and stowed I'm not gonna bore everyone with any more wiring details.

I did finish up my mreed air cleaner last night and got that assembled and installed. Got bored with soldering wires and needed a diversion. I took some pics but got home late and didn't have time to download them. I think it came out great and I'll update everyone on that soon.

Ya, having Ozzie around to do the heavy lifting in a fully outfitted machine shop is...well, you can't beat it if you're into this kind of stuff. Working with him has given me a new appreciation for the kind of genius it takes to hand craft something mechanical into a work of art. I get to watch it first hand, an opportunity that I have only had the pleasure to experience on rare occasions in my life. I even participate every now and then by handing him a tool or fetching another beer. Fortunately for her (and for me), my daughter picked a keeper.

Old 05-15-2012 | 09:32 AM
Jackal
Road Master

lol...badass, all that sexy over the top work and still rocking a chopped Auto Zone A/C.

Old 05-15-2012 | 10:06 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
lol...badass, all that sexy over the top work and still rocking a chopped Auto Zone A/C.
Nah man, it's a little more upscale than that. I did the $12 Autozone housing last summer, which worked fine until I went to remove it back in October and the cheapass thing broke. I got this one from Vintage Speed for $39.95.
Name:  PA220030.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  95.6 KB
Name:  PA220031.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  77.2 KB

It's cast aluminum, and it's not the greatest quality you might find...it's not CNC machined and powdercoated, but it's not bad either. I had to do the mreed conversion on it though, same as with the Autozone. I started it last October or November and just decided it was time to complete it. I finished it with some HD wrinkle black engine paint. So I spent $60 on the internal breather AC bracket and $40 for this, so at a hundred bucks, it's not a cheapo solution. But it's mine, I made it, or at least modded it, and therefore it's unique.

Pics of the finished product in a day or two...

Old 05-15-2012 | 10:42 AM
Jackal
Road Master

Nice! ...and unique as you stated.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover