Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012 | 06:50 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rog48
I find that with everything I do, it evolves as I work on it. Im sure if I would have taken mine down as far as you did Id be in the same boat. Thankfully I have a little bit of self control where as you obviously have none But thats better for the rest of us
It's that obvious, isn't it? Damn...

Old 05-10-2012 | 07:49 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member

aint been on here for a while hows it going? u up n runnin yet pal?

Old 05-10-2012 | 08:18 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Hey swordy, not yet man, but thanks for asking. Still hip deep in wiring. Then there's the bars to fab and the exhaust, license plate, ignition and coil brackets and a ton of little things to do, not to mention paint. Probably have it done in a week or two.

Given the time constraints we're dealing with, at this point if all goes well, I'm hoping for mid to late June...

Old 05-12-2012 | 10:15 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

More wiring, Friday night and all day today. I didn't take a lot of pics because wires are wires. Last night Oz and I ran the fuel injector wiring through the frame, up through the hole just above the fuel injectors and out at the bottom of the large down tube underneath the battery box. To do that we had to lengthen each of the injector wires by about two feet. It was a tight fit and took awhile to get them through. But in the end it worked out great.
Name:  P5110010.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  112.2 KB

After that we worked on locating the ECM. Played around with several spots and in the end we found the best place for our purposes is bolted to the end of the rear fender just behind the oil tank. It fits nice and tight there and all the cables line up perfectly. Drilled a couple of holes in the fender and slid the whole thing into place.
Name:  P5110011.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  78.4 KB

I was on my own today and spent about five hours cutting, splicing and rerouting and reorganizing wires from the main harness. I really got a system going with the snips, soldering gun, and heat shrink. Glued the plastic fuse mount to the battery tray and by the time I was done it was a lot better organized and manageable. Ran the coil wires from the battery compartment through the rear cylinder head and out between the two cylinders. Wrapped them in insulated wire sheething (that **** is expensive!! ) and then reinstalled the plastic plug on the end. That's ready for the coil to be mounted and will plug right in. We decided it was much easier to span the short distance from the battery box to the rear cylinder than it was to try and snake those through the frame with everything else. The heat sensor wire for the rear cylinder will be run the same way.

I'll take some more pics when things get closer to being finalized. Right now, despite being more organized and cleaned up, pictures just look like more of the same mess of wires hanging everywhere. We still have to hard wire the injector wires to the main harness - you'll remember that was the big connector we cut away from the main harness last week. Then we'll do a final organization of the battery compartment and all the wires surrounding it to get everything wrapped and stowed. I'm going to try to get that done this week.

Old 05-12-2012 | 10:27 PM
bigbush
Cruiser

you sir will never have to renew your man card. i can not wait to see you get the rubber on the road and see the final product. just dont fack it up and paint it yellow!

Old 05-12-2012 | 10:58 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Don't let them fool you Ergo...yellow is hot!

Name:  yellowishot001.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  2.75 MB

Old 05-12-2012 | 11:27 PM
ANESTHESIA
Tourer

Looking fantastic! After taking off a few parts off my 48, I couldn't believe how shoddy the craftsmanship was. It looked like a kindergartener welded the frame. Does no one take pride in their work anymore?

Old 05-13-2012 | 12:39 AM
bigbush
Cruiser

Nevermind...

Last edited by bigbush; 05-13-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-13-2012 | 06:10 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Cant remember if I read it or not. Are you ringing out the wires after each bundle run? I would ring the wire itself, the wire to ground and that wire to other wires in the bundle to be sure there are no problems. I think it would be a lot easier to fix a bad wire before ALL the wires are run.

Old 05-13-2012 | 12:00 PM
Haddy
Advanced

looking sick dude.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover