Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012 | 08:49 AM
scaldwellk
Tourer

After looking at some input about the air shocks I broke down and ordered a pair.

Looking good and hope the wiring goes better then you hope.

Last edited by scaldwellk; 04-23-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2012 | 09:18 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rog48
This is actually the only part I wouldnt be intimidated by. Im going to have to do something similar because my new tank cant be mounted in the stock position without the wires and connectors being under the backbone. Not being intimidated doesnt mean I wont make mistakes, Ill watch your progress, make sure you point out all your mistakes so I dont have to make them
I'll highlight them all just for you Rog.

Old 04-23-2012 | 09:19 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by scaldwellk
After looking at some input about the air shocks I broke down and ordered a pair.

Looking good and hope the wiring goes better then you hope.
Good luck with those. And thanks.

Old 04-23-2012 | 11:18 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Ergonight
... We also got rid of a few wires that we didn't need. We need to make the wire bundle going through frame as small as possible. Gonna ditch the kill switch so we got rid of those wires. Used the diagrams I drew when I took them apart and a voltmeter to make sure we got the right ones.

We pretty much know now where everything has to go. We need to purchase some extra wire to extend some of the wire runs and more shrink wrap for the whole sheebang. It's far from done and there are still a lot of questions, but we're getting closer.
You're doing so well you probably already know or have thought of this, but a couple things anyway: you can go up on wire sizes (thicker wire), but can cause problems to use smaller diameter wire. When you splice in wire extensions, cut lengths unevenly so none of the splices are next to each other, will keep the bundle as slim as possible that way. I like to cover splices with the heat shrink that has adhesive on the inner side, so it seals the splice area from moisture. You can get self sealing environmental splices, but the glue shrink can cover more wire when desired.

Old 04-23-2012 | 06:50 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Imold
You're doing so well you probably already know or have thought of this, but a couple things anyway: you can go up on wire sizes (thicker wire), but can cause problems to use smaller diameter wire. When you splice in wire extensions, cut lengths unevenly so none of the splices are next to each other, will keep the bundle as slim as possible that way. I like to cover splices with the heat shrink that has adhesive on the inner side, so it seals the splice area from moisture. You can get self sealing environmental splices, but the glue shrink can cover more wire when desired.
Great advise Imold. Every little bit helps. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2012 | 10:50 PM
sportyforty
Intermediate

Only if i had a shop to chop...

Old 04-25-2012 | 08:39 AM
HERE
Road Warrior

Ergo, here's the info for the brake resivoir. It's a Nissin master cylinder setup off of some sport bikes. I've seen guys who've bought both the brake master cylinder/clutch perch levers off of sport bikes. If the Sportster clutch cable doesn't work you could get with a cable company(like Motion Pro) and have them build you a cable. For example you may need a Sportster cable with a Ninja 600 end on it.

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1285

Old 04-25-2012 | 08:59 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by HERE
Ergo, here's the info for the brake resivoir. It's a Nissin master cylinder setup off of some sport bikes. I've seen guys who've bought both the brake master cylinder/clutch perch levers off of sport bikes. If the Sportster clutch cable doesn't work you could get with a cable company(like Motion Pro) and have them build you a cable. For example you may need a Sportster cable with a Ninja 600 end on it.

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1285
You're the man HERE! Thanks very much.

Old 04-25-2012 | 09:47 AM
HERE
Road Warrior

No problem. You ever find those tank vavles you needed?

Old 04-25-2012 | 01:04 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by HERE
No problem. You ever find those tank vavles you needed?
So check this out...I've been searching for these things all over this area. Auto parts stores, hardware stores, I even gave Fastenal a shot. Bubkiss. Nothing. I've been asking for "schrader valves" and the responses I get range from "huh?" "what kinda valves?" and "Please don't use that kind of language in the store, sir." I've been googling "schrader valves" and coming up with all kinds of weird crap that obviously isn't what I need. Then I remember your post and <bingo> I hit O'Reilly's website, plug in the part number and up pops the exact item. I figure, what the hell, order them right here. So I plug in my zipcode and guess what the shipping cost is...$13.69. Well, I may be an unlucky c&%ksucker but I ain't payin no 13 bucks to ship a 3 dollar part. So you said "tank valves" and that got me thinking, which is usually dangerous but in some cases comes in real handy. I google "tank valves" and I get a dozen places here locally that sell the same exact valve as O'Reilly. I figure my quest is almost completed. So I go out at lunch and stop at two different places and ask for "tank valves" and the responses I got were "huh?" and "what valves?". Out of time, I'm back here at the office and I notice that in my google search the little TrueValue hardware store exactly one block from the shop, where I end up going about twice a week to pick up nuts, bolts and such, is on the list of supposedly having these rare little gems. So I go out on a limb, make the call and the guy's response is..."Oh sure, we got those". omfg

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover