Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012 | 08:26 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

looks great! I'm digging the "floating" motor effect.

Old 04-19-2012 | 10:27 AM
Jackal
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Thanks elvis. Appreciate the link. Lots of interesting bolt work on there. Only problem is I didn't see any SAE stuff, only metric. [edit: They do have some Harley stuff but it looks mostly like motor and wheel hardware]. But it's another source. The hardware issue has been a tedious one for me. The motor was easy - just bought the ss kit and pretty much everything was in there. But there are lots of other nuts and bolts on a motorcycle and finding all the right sizes and configurations ain't easy.

Here's the bike as of last night. I put the forwards on it, including all the linkages. And just because I couldn't resist, I popped the tank on briefly. That, of course, along with the fender still needs paint, and I'm working on that...

Holy son of a bitch that looks good! I'm not REALLY a big fan of the fat front tire, but this one is the exception and I really wouldn't mind having it for my fenderless dedicated solo bike at all. I'd probably rock clip-ons and a back brace. (if that's even possible with the WG front end...maybe a broomstick or something)

Last edited by Jackal; 04-19-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-19-2012 | 12:09 PM
Mopar5599
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Subscribed

Old 04-20-2012 | 08:50 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by rjm729
Bad ***.
Thanks rjm.

Originally Posted by guitarman023
looks great! I'm digging the "floating" motor effect.
Haha, ya, with no bars on it I didn't want to put it on the floor. But you're right, it does look like it's floating.

Old 04-20-2012 | 09:46 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
Holy son of a bitch that looks good! I'm not REALLY a big fan of the fat front tire, but this one is the exception and I really wouldn't mind having it for my fenderless dedicated solo bike at all. I'd probably rock clip-ons and a back brace. (if that's even possible with the WG front end...maybe a broomstick or something)
Sounds like you need another bike project.

Thanks man. Ya, clipons look great but I don't want to be that hunched over on he bike. We're still debating over what to do this weekend...bars or wiring? I sat next to the bike for 2 hours last night just trying to sort out the wiring harness, grouping the wires and trying to layout where and how they're going to run through the frame, where to mount the fuse blocks, ECM, etc. It's a real phucking nightmare. I think the MoCo must purposely scramble and intertwine all the wires when they put these things together just to disuade anyone from thinking about screwing with it. OMFG. You can't just grab the wires for the headlight and pull them out and run them, and then grab the wires for the coil and pull them out and run them, and then grab the wires for the right turn signal...etc. They are all mixed and jumbled and tied together with no grouping or rhyme or reason into a large amorphous mass of colored confetti that is impossible to separate. I've finally decided the best thing to do is just start cutting wires, pull them out one by one and splice them back together, solder, shrink wrap and run them through the frame (or under the motor as the case may be), rinse and repeat. Some of them need to be extended anyway to reach through the frame so there was going to be some soldering either way. But I'm not gonna sleep right until we get this taken care of, so the bars may have to wait...

Old 04-20-2012 | 09:48 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cobra7077
Subscribed
Welcome to my nightmare.

Just kidding. Welcome aboard.

Old 04-20-2012 | 10:18 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jackal
+1....not a fat tire guy myself but that one is very tastefully done. man that bike looks sweet hovering there. i agree, clips would look so damn nasty on that bike and if you go with mids (which are just way better imo) back wouldn't hurt at all but i know you got your heart set on the bars you want and i like them too bro. or, you could go with some attack bars....just sayin. lol. dude, great job! i know you want that thing on the road but you got time, still spring.

Old 04-20-2012 | 10:34 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
+1....not a fat tire guy myself but that one is very tastefully done. man that bike looks sweet hovering there. i agree, clips would look so damn nasty on that bike and if you go with mids (which are just way better imo) back wouldn't hurt at all but i know you got your heart set on the bars you want and i like them too bro. or, you could go with some attack bars....just sayin. lol. dude, great job! i know you want that thing on the road but you got time, still spring.
Nah man, I decided a while back to ditch those swept back T-bars. Oz is gonna build me a set but I haven't settled on a final design yet. We're gonna mock up a few different kinds and go from there. I'm thinking along the lines of something simple like this. Keep 'em narrow and low to the clamp, just above the tank. Maybe.
Name:  Bars2.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  66.6 KB

Or this, with the ends turned down and back slightly.
Name:  Bars1.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  38.5 KB

Remember, I'll have the bar end signals on 'em which will add an inch to each end. I just don't know about the look yet. Same with the exhaust. Oz is gonna build something. I just have to decide what I want it to look like...

Thanks man. I know I got time before the hot weather gets here, but I am itching to ride.

Old 04-20-2012 | 09:47 PM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain

For a half-hatched idea turned full-tilt changeling this thing is simply becoming more stunning at each installation as it morphs along.

Keep up the good work and may you soon enjoy the sweet fruits of your labor.

Old 04-21-2012 | 08:48 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by UFOtestpilot
For a half-hatched idea turned full-tilt changeling this thing is simply becoming more stunning at each installation as it morphs along.

Keep up the good work and may you soon enjoy the sweet fruits of your labor.
Thanks UFO! God, it was a half hatched idea when I look back on it. Wasn't gonna do half this stuff. Had no idea Oz would take such an interest in things. And I had no idea just how much talent and knowledge he has. We never worked together before so I never saw him in action. Completely at home in the shop. Watching him with a welder or grinder in his hands, or standing in front of a lathe or milling machine is like watching DaVinci paint. I am very fortunate he jumped in on this.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover