Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012 | 09:48 AM
Jackal
Road Master

Hell yes, looks great man!

I am surprised the points cover was so high since I thought they were a LOT cheaper for custom covers, but who cares...no one else will ever have another like it and they knocked it out in record time it sounds like.

I have 11" chopped RK shocks and I run 20-25 solo, 25-30 2-up and I LOVE them. With your front end lowered somewhat due to the rake, I'm sure you are a lot better off with the 10.75" or even shorter to keep the trail right. They look great.

Old 04-12-2012 | 08:41 PM
Martads Bobber
Intermediate

Very cool thread, and inspiring! I have been making some changes to my nightster too, but all very simple by comparison. You only live once, might as well get it the way YOU want it.

Old 04-13-2012 | 10:49 AM
smoen81
Advanced

I absolutely love the contrasting wrinkle and gloss blacks on the engine. Looks top notch.

Old 04-13-2012 | 12:40 PM
Theycallmeelvis
2nd Gear

Hey, I've been floating around this forum for a couple of years now, finally registered today and the first thing I wanted to do was to say how amazing your project is. I've been an avid follower of your thread excitedly checking it every time there has been a new post, you're a true inspiration. Thank you

Old 04-16-2012 | 04:24 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
Hell yes, looks great man!

I am surprised the points cover was so high since I thought they were a LOT cheaper for custom covers, but who cares...no one else will ever have another like it and they knocked it out in record time it sounds like.

I have 11" chopped RK shocks and I run 20-25 solo, 25-30 2-up and I LOVE them. With your front end lowered somewhat due to the rake, I'm sure you are a lot better off with the 10.75" or even shorter to keep the trail right. They look great.
Thanks Jackal. Ya, I think the trail is gonna be fine. Thanks for the info on the air shocks. My biggest issue right now with them is finding the individual brass air valves for adding air. They came with brass plugs installed plus the air line kit for linking them together. I don't want to run air lines around the bike, I just want each shock to have it's own air fitting, but I can't find the damn things anywhere locally. Guess I'll have to order them online.

Old 04-16-2012 | 04:33 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Martads Bobber
Very cool thread, and inspiring! I have been making some changes to my nightster too, but all very simple by comparison. You only live once, might as well get it the way YOU want it.

Thanks Martads. Sometimes simple is better. Gonna be 85 degrees today and mine is still in 1000 pieces. Hopefully it will be how I want it when it's all done. Only...is it ever "all done"?

Originally Posted by smoen81
I absolutely love the contrasting wrinkle and gloss blacks on the engine. Looks top notch.
It really does look good. The pics inside the shop with my homeowner camera just don't do it justice. I'll have to have some decent pics taken by a professional when it's all done. Thanks smoen.

Old 04-16-2012 | 05:11 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Theycallmeelvis
Hey, I've been floating around this forum for a couple of years now, finally registered today and the first thing I wanted to do was to say how amazing your project is. I've been an avid follower of your thread excitedly checking it every time there has been a new post, you're a true inspiration. Thank you
Thanks very much elvis. Sorry to keep you waiting. Last week was long and hectic, and this weekend I played catchup with a lot of stuff that had to wait while I was out of town. But my wife was gracious enough to allow me several hours in the shop on Saturday, so here's the update.

I installed the fork lock. One of the three local stealers had one of the little tiny drift pins in stock, so I got that done. Then I reassembled the forks. Normally a simple job. I had all the new bushings and seals and just followed the manual. My new powder coated easy fill fork caps went on perfectly without a scratch. The whole process took about 30 minutes. Then I noticed that the powder guys had unscrewed about half way the little drain plugs near the bottom of the forks, and powder coated them that way. I had them screwed in when I delivered them and I expected they would just powder coat over them. That, or they could pull the plugs out, plug the holes, tape the threads and coat the heads. Either way, I don't plan on using them. But for some reason they backed out the plugs just enough so that half the tiny little threads were covered with that **** and there was no way to screw them in. It took me about two hours of scraping with an exacto knife to get all the powder off of them enough to (hopefully) seat them properly. If it's not one friggen thing it's another.

That done, I assembled the front end and mounted the wheel. The top of the triple clamp, with all black fork caps and stem bolt looks great. Then I put the rear master cylinder on the frame and mounted the whole rear wheel assembly including the brake and drive belt. Popped the battery tray in and thats all I had time for so here's how it looks so far. I apologize for so few detailed pics. I was pressed for time.

Name:  P4140007.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  131.6 KB
Name:  P4140008.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  121.8 KB
Name:  P4140009.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  116.0 KB
Name:  P4140010.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  131.4 KB
Name:  P4140016.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  132.3 KB

One of the things I failed to plan for properly is hardware. I bought the stainless hardware kit for the motor, but all of the other nuts and bolts around the bike are still the ugly harley steel in various stages of rust and corrosion. Finding adequate replacements has been a challenge. I should have planned ahead and taken care of this while everything was torn down waiting for the powder coaters. Now I'm spending a lot of time running back and forth between the local Ace Hardware store, Lowes and Home Depot and I still can't find half of what I need. I'm making a run to the Fastenal in Albany today to try and find some of what I need. But word to the wise - if you want shiney new stainless hardware for your shiney new bike plan ahead and start lining up replacement hardware early.

Last edited by Ergonight; 04-16-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-16-2012 | 09:05 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

It's looking good man. I think I bought most of my hardware from MSC, 25 dollar minimum, but they've got lots of other cool stuff. The frame looks great all smoothed out, might have to do the same to mine someday.

Old 04-16-2012 | 09:40 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

looks good ergo. bike's gonna have a nice stance!

Old 04-16-2012 | 10:22 AM
Martads Bobber
Intermediate

That thing is going to look fierce rolling down the road. The front tire and wheel look great

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover