Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:30 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
Needle gun treatment? As in a needlegun scaler? Cool stuff, but curious what this accomplishes on your struts that the powder guy won't take care of in media blast. Guess I just thought they removed tough rust and sort of etched the surface. Too sweet man, you got a real badass one off frame there Ergo.

That was harsh Rog. LOL
Thanks Jackal. Because of the way the struts are shaped as sort of an I-beam with the fender mounting holes on either end it was difficult/impossible to get a smooth finish with the grinder or the scotch brite wheel down between the ridges and around the mounting holes. You can get right down in there with the needle gun and it created a smooth even texture down between those ridges. Worked real nice.

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:35 AM
metalhead0215
Tourer

That skid plate looks great Ergon. Out of curiousity, do ya'll have a goal in mind for finishing the project? I may have missed it somewhere in the comments, but I personnally hope you prove Rog wrong lol mainly because I'm ready to see the finished project

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:38 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by jameson079
this... is insane...
It's a sickness. I'm on medication for it and taking injections, but it's not enough. I am learning to live with it.

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:43 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

If your getting your meds from the HD dealer I think I know what the problem is. Go to a jap dealer and get the generic meds.

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:46 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by metalhead0215
That skid plate looks great Ergon. Out of curiousity, do ya'll have a goal in mind for finishing the project? I may have missed it somewhere in the comments, but I personnally hope you prove Rog wrong lol mainly because I'm ready to see the finished project
Thanks Metal. My original goal (I think) was to have it all done by the time the good riding weather hits around these parts...maybe early May. It's been a really warm winter/Spring so it seems like it should be done by now but actually I'm not far off my original expectations. And originally I didn't plan on doing half of what we've done. The project kept growing and evolving over time. But We're pretty much done with the mods. Everything is at the powder coater. All that's left to fab are the bars, exhaust and a few small parts like the license plate bracket. I think I'll be riding in a couple months. Then I'm gonna ride down and let Rog buy me a beer.

Last edited by Ergonight; 03-28-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2012 | 08:46 AM
Jackal
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Thanks Jackal. Because of the way the struts are shaped as sort of an I-beam with the fender mounting holes on either end it was difficult/impossible to get a smooth finish with the grinder or the scotch brite wheel down between the ridges and around the mounting holes. You can get right down in there with the needle gun and it created a smooth even texture down between those ridges. Worked real nice.
No stone left unturned on this baby. NICE

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:52 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rog48
If your getting your meds from the HD dealer I think I know what the problem is. Go to a jap dealer and get the generic meds.
My son in law is on those meds and they don't work either. He's got it worse than me.

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:57 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
No stone left unturned on this baby. NICE
We're trying. I'm sure there are going to be some things I miss, some things I wish I'd done differently. If I just had more time and more money. Oz picks up on a lot of things that need doing and constantly makes suggestions about doing one thing or another, which usually means him doing another fab job. It was his idea to use the needle gun. That wouldn't have occured to me. I'm in this constant state of conflict, pushing to get it done spending as little as possible while trying to do it right. It's not easy. But it is fun.

Last edited by Ergonight; 03-28-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2012 | 12:33 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Someone recently pm'd me about selling my stock front wheel/tire, and that sale (he bought it - thanks Jeff!) got me thinking about all the other stock Nightster parts I now have laying around the shop, in the way and collecting dust. My plan was always to sell the stuff later for whatever I could get. Well, "later" is fast approaching and it's time to get rid of things I won't need, if I can.

Before I put things up on Craig's List or the Classified Section of the forum I thought I would give those members following this thread first crack at them. If you've been following the mods you'll pretty much know what I'm not going to be using from the stock bike. In particular, I have the stock Nightster mid controls, a set of black SE Street Performance slip ons, and the stock front fender (orange). I also have that modified set of BK Rider fat (1-1/2") t-bars. Other stuff like the original slip on mufflers, heat shields, strut covers, headlight eyebrow, front relocated and stock rear turn signals, stock narrow glide triple clamps, belt guard, air cleaner...it's all gotta go. I realize that a lot of this stuff isn't worth much. But who knows? Maybe someone out there needs a used belt guard. lol

If anyone is interested in any of this stuff pm me. I have pics. I'm gonna post it up on the Classifieds in a couple of weeks.

Old 03-28-2012 | 01:34 PM
scaldwellk
Tourer

May I ask what size pipe the SE's fit? 1 3/4 or 2 inch?

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover