Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012 | 03:32 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
I'd be interested in pics of the KZ too if you had any handy.
Sure. It's up to him, but if he agrees I'll snap some the next time I'm at the shop. It was wrecked last summer (not by him), hence the new front end, and there are some dings that need fixing. Someday when he's done working on my bike he might have some time for his own.

Old 03-13-2012 | 11:07 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Ergonight
...Oz started cleaning up the fugly frame welds...
Perfectionist - those welds don't look as bad as the factory welds on my sporty. Of course, it would have cost another grand or two if they were smoothed out like yours will be. I smoothed some welds like that on a couple smaller projects years ago, not really difficult, but takes a lot of time and especially patience. Your SIL is a lot more experienced and may not ever have to, but it kind of sucks when you smooth it out, and there's a little line or indentation where you didn't get the weld high enough; lay another bead, grind, grind, sand, sand... Even if nobody else would ever see it, we'd know it was there.

Old 03-13-2012 | 07:21 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Imold
Perfectionist - those welds don't look as bad as the factory welds on my sporty. Of course, it would have cost another grand or two if they were smoothed out like yours will be. I smoothed some welds like that on a couple smaller projects years ago, not really difficult, but takes a lot of time and especially patience. Your SIL is a lot more experienced and may not ever have to, but it kind of sucks when you smooth it out, and there's a little line or indentation where you didn't get the weld high enough; lay another bead, grind, grind, sand, sand... Even if nobody else would ever see it, we'd know it was there.
Just for the record, and in case I described it wrong, the welds he was cleaning up are the factory welds not the ones he's done. If all the welds from Harley looked like this...
Name:  PB190025.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  62.0 KB

...there'd be no need to clean them up. The Harley welds are universally ugly. I assume that's why they do their best to cover them up with plastic and sheet metal covers whenever possible.

But you're right Imold, he is a perfectionist when it comes to his work. He'll spend hours fixing little marks or imperfections, even when he didn't make them, just because otherwise he'd always know they were there. Mind you, I'm not complaining.

Old 03-13-2012 | 07:24 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Nice quality work. Can't wait to see the additional progress as it happens.

Old 03-13-2012 | 07:30 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
Nice quality work. Can't wait to see the additional progress as it happens.
Thanks Big Mike. He said he's going to have the frame done by Thursday night. I intend to take half a day off Thursday (if possible) and do some work on the engine, then throw the frame in the truck and take it and some additional parts to the powder guys on Friday.

Old 03-13-2012 | 07:35 PM
Wander
Tourer

Ergo, I can't recall if you decided on the revamp for your bars?
I'm looking forward to your final result, not near as much as you are I'm sure though.

Old 03-13-2012 | 08:36 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wander
Ergo, I can't recall if you decided on the revamp for your bars?
I'm looking forward to your final result, not near as much as you are I'm sure though.
Hey Wander, thanks man. We're gonna completely redo the bars. Oz is just gonna build them from scratch and we'll work together to come up with something that fits with the overall look and is comfortable.

And ya, I am dying to get this done. But we're still quite a ways from completion. <sigh>

Old 03-13-2012 | 08:40 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master

Ergo, I've also been following progress. Won't ever go to the lengths you have but as a lifelong gearhead, this has made excellent reading.

You have, as we used to say, a righteous sled. Congratulations and a tip of the hat to you and your talented SIL.

Old 03-14-2012 | 09:12 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Ergo, I've also been following progress. Won't ever go to the lengths you have but as a lifelong gearhead, this has made excellent reading.

You have, as we used to say, a righteous sled. Congratulations and a tip of the hat to you and your talented SIL.
Semper fi Steel! Thanks man.

Old 03-14-2012 | 12:00 PM
SportEone2
Advanced

I'm still looking forward to you getting your first ride on her.. Man, I'm excited for you.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover