Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012 | 07:23 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Not much man. Haven't been able to get in the shop since I posted last...Sunday the 5th. Last weekend was a bust and this coming weekend doesn't look too good either. Sucks big time. I am watching this winter drift away and pretty soon the warm weather will be here and I'll still be looking at pics of the unfinished bike on my computer screen.

About the only thing I accomplished in the last couple of weeks was to order the easy fill fork caps Joebotics mentioned a few months ago from BK Rider.
Name:  BKRiderForkCaps.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  23.9 KB
No real progress to report. Unfortunately. I've been giving the paint scheme some thought, mocking up some ideas on the computer. Just rough photoshop renderings, nothing good enough to post. And I've got a list a mile long of things to do once I do make it back to the shop. Just no time to get there lately.

But thanks for asking.

Old 02-16-2012 | 08:06 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

I know how you feel. The only thing Im waiting on now is the tank from the painter. While nice day after nice day comes and goes. Theres a lot of stuff I cut off the list and will wait till next winter.

Old 02-16-2012 | 08:26 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rog48
I know how you feel. The only thing Im waiting on now is the tank from the painter. While nice day after nice day comes and goes. Theres a lot of stuff I cut off the list and will wait till next winter.
Rog, your in the south, it's nice year round. you got plenty of time to enjoy that new paint once you get it. (I wanna see pics too, tired of hearing about your bike unassembled in the sportster challenge thread)

And Ergo, Sweet build.

Old 02-16-2012 | 12:29 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rog48
Ya Rog, my problem is I keep adding to the list instead of taking stuff off.

Originally Posted by BiggDogg
And Ergo, Sweet build.
Thanks BiggDogg!

Old 02-27-2012 | 06:34 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Finally got some time in the shop over the weekend.

So me and the son-in-law have been talking, and now that the tank is mounted up and the front end is on and the bars are in place and the overall look is firming up, I'm asking -- what are we going to do with the speedo? Neither one of us could see it just bolted on the frame next to the tank, or clipped to the forks, ala Joker Machine. We got rid of the tank mounting holes in the frame so there's nothing to bolt it to anyway...

So he comes up with another really creative idea -- build it into the tank. Ok, I says. I like the idea. And what's one more unplanned mod on top of a dozen unplanned mods. If you're willing ('cause I can't do any of the crafting to get it done), lets do it.

First we had to determine where to put it. The options -- offset the filler hole and the speedo, one on each side of the tank. But I rather like things at least semi-semetrical. So we decide in line, down the center line of the tank is best. Then the question becomes where to fit the speedo along the center line. With the existing filler hole and gas cap there's only so much room left to play with. And the options for speedo visibility and looks are limited. We played around with the location and finally decided to eliminate the existing filler hole and put the speedo there for best visibility. That left plenty of room for a new, flush mount gas cap and weld-in filler bung.
Here's the stainless steel pop-up gas cap I got from BK Rider.

Name:  FillerCap.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  2.9 KB

This thing is very well made, seems high quality.

Then we spent all day Saturday modifying the tank. He then stayed up most of the night to finish it off. Here are some pics of the process we used.

Name:  P2250114.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  77.7 KB
Name:  P2250118.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  118.8 KB
Name:  P2250116.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  68.5 KB
Name:  P2250119.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  90.3 KB

Being the creative genius that he is, Oz built a canister for the speedo that fits down inside the tank and allows the speedo to sit flush with the top of the tank. He welded together a piece of three and a half inch pipe and a four inch pipe to make the canister, then welded that into the hole we cut in the tank.
Name:  P2250126.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  66.6 KB
Name:  P2250127.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  116.2 KB
Name:  P2250128.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  74.5 KB

The speedo, of course, has a wire that powers it so that had to be accomodated by drilling a hole in the tunnel, right below where the speedo will mount. Then he welded a tube in the bottom of the canister.
Name:  P2250137.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  87.5 KB
Name:  P2250136.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  77.0 KB

After that, he cut the hole for the new fuel filler.
Name:  P2250134.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  76.4 KB

Then welded both the speedo canister and the new fuel bung into place, first tacking them in and then finish welding the seams. He also had to weld the tube from the bottom of the canister to the bottom of the tank. The process to go from the rough welds to a finished tank was not a quick or easy one. But the results are amazing. I'm lovin it.
Name:  P2250138.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  63.2 KB
Name:  P2250141.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  105.2 KB
Name:  P2250142.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  76.6 KB

And here it is on the bike.
Name:  P2250152.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  137.9 KB
Name:  P2270001.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  90.7 KB
Name:  P2270005.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  74.1 KB

Next steps are to get the wiring runs figured out. I've got to figure out how to take apart the deutch connectors so we can run the wires internally, and then we'll drill some more holes in the frame for that.

We also decided to build a new set of bars. Neither one of us was thrilled with the look of the ones we modified so we're now trying to finalize what they should look like and Oz will build em. Look for that in the weeks to follow. I don't know when we'll find the time to do all this stuff, but he keeps telling me we'll get it done in time for the good weather, even as he continues to throw out new ideas for additional custom mods.

My wife thinks we're both nuts...

Old 02-27-2012 | 06:40 PM
GWinkleman
Road Captain

Holy hell that is the best speedo relocate I have ever seen...

Old 02-27-2012 | 06:52 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Your son-in-law is really talented; I've never got into welding little things, mostly bigger like a couple trailers; the smaller, the more difficult. Bet it took a fair amount of time to get those corners so smooth. Used to work aircraft sheetmetal and know how tedious getting a nice finish can be. That tube for the speedo cable won't be sealed at the bottom, will it? You probably thought of it, but seeing the speedo slightly recessed so liquid can pool on it made me think the area under it needs drainage. Wonder how long it will be before someone asks you where you put the gas in - bet a lot of folks won't recognize that flush button as a gas cap. Just imagine what you'd pay to have all that work done in someone else's shop.

Old 02-27-2012 | 07:10 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by GWinkleman
Holy hell that is the best speedo relocate I have ever seen...
Thanks GW. That was my thought exactly.

Old 02-27-2012 | 07:22 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Imold
Your son-in-law is really talented; I've never got into welding little things, mostly bigger like a couple trailers; the smaller, the more difficult. Bet it took a fair amount of time to get those corners so smooth. Used to work aircraft sheetmetal and know how tedious getting a nice finish can be. That tube for the speedo cable won't be sealed at the bottom, will it? You probably thought of it, but seeing the speedo slightly recessed so liquid can pool on it made me think the area under it needs drainage. Wonder how long it will be before someone asks you where you put the gas in - bet a lot of folks won't recognize that flush button as a gas cap. Just imagine what you'd pay to have all that work done in someone else's shop.
He is amazing. My own personal mreed.

And I fully understand the value of having him and the shop available for this job. I used to do some stick and gas welding back in the day but the stuff he does is light years beyond anything I ever did, or could do. I count my lucky stars every time he frees up an hour or a day to work on it.

As for the water pooling around the speedo, good point. We're planning on sealing the gap between the speedo and the tank...somehow. I might run a bead of black silicone around the bezel to keep water out. Or a rubber gasket of some kind. We've talked about a few different options and it shouldn't be a problem sealing it up. I don't really want water running down through there, if I can help it.

I plan on painting the fuel cap to match the tank. That should confuse a few people...

Old 02-27-2012 | 07:52 PM
VirgeB
Tourer

How are you going to toggle between the trip meters? Is this speedo set up different than the one on the custom? My switch is on the bottom of the speedo.

Looks killer.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover