Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012 | 10:40 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by nightrider05
Hey not from the sportster family but been following your project. AMAZING WORK!! youve really dug into that thing making it your own. so kudos all the way, but when i seen the bars, like the others. not feelin it. in the end it is your bike and you gotta want to ride it tho. If your interested in opinions at all I would think a nice low riser with drag bars or say 8-10" mini apes or zbars would fit your build so much better. Just my two cents like the rest of us watchin. Great job so far! keep it up!!!
Absolutely nightrider. I am always interested in ideas and opinions and I consider them all as useful. This is my bike and I'll make the final decisions about what and where based on my preferences but I'm no expert craftsman, artist or designer. I need all the help I can get. Much appreciated.

Old 01-08-2012 | 10:46 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I'm with ya Ergo, the GF is wanting new bars for her Nightster too. She's thinking drag bars but I don't want to have to return 12 sets of bars until we find the right ones for her too. As you can see below, I'm a "bagger guy" but I have learned sooo much about sporty's within the last few months....ever since we picked up a bike for my girlfriend. There are so many different ways you can go with these bikes. Its awesome!!

Hang in there buddy and if I happen to run across something that I think might help your quest, I will shoot you the link! I love your work man!!
Thanks very much Race. I appreciate your help.

Old 01-08-2012 | 10:49 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by rickss69
I would finish the bike and give the bars an honest chance Ergo. You never know, they might be the best one's you ever rode with in the end...if not, it is still the easiest thing to remedy considering all the work your bike has been through.
Ya rick, I'm still considering that to. I'm gonna finish up the tank mount before a final decision on the bars. It still might look ok. And you're right...after everything else the bars are a simple swap out.

Old 01-08-2012 | 10:51 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Imold
You get the least hand/wrist fatigue with bars that would fit your hands when you just hold them out in front of you, grips slightly down and back. Dirt bike bars are almost always at that angle, for maximum control, although those wouldn't have the appearance you'd probably want. I did use a dirtbike bar once, with the brace running across, handy for hanging a little bag. Had the bar laying around, used it to get a wreck up and running, and ended up keeping it 'cause it felt so good (bought the wreck, never wrecked one myself). Lots of custom bikes have bars angled that way, and the stock bars on my sporty are, but I still see apes and touring setups with extreme pull back grips; those feel uncomfortable to me. Another thing to consider is the riser sweep back; with straight risers, the bars just pivot as they turn; with swept back risers, you get a swinging movement, too, which also increases leverage and might make the steering feel lighter. That doesn't feel natural to me, but I'm sure it's something you get used to; I haven't ridden a setup like that much.
This is great insight Imold. I'm an old dirt track racer from way back so I'm used to the set up. And the son-in-law has a set of dirt track style bars he just bought for his latest build. I might give them a try. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2012 | 10:57 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
i've said the same thing before. would be nice wouldn't it?! rather than spending all the time it takes to make them or the money to buy them. just gotta use your vision i guess or fork out the cash and resell them if you don't like em but i'm with ya ergo!

+1.....but looks plays a huge role in our "motortcycle parts" decision making lol.
Ya, what can I say bmx. I am a visually oriented type of guy.

Old 01-08-2012 | 11:02 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by 8541hog
PVC pipe is the best way to mock up bar, get some pipe and fittings, and experiment with what looks good and feels good, putting preference where you want.
Then you can either find something that matches or find a welder to do the work.
Like many of you I have gone through more sets of bars than I care to admit before I decided to build my own. Best decision I ever made.
More good advise. Thanks hog. It may come to that. Lord knows I've used enough pvc pipe over the years. I probably have enough laying around my workshop to mock up two or three different sets...

I gotta say...I can't tell you folks how much I appreciate your comments and advise and ideas. I don't know how I would have done most of this work without your input and ideas, both here in this thread and in many of the others on this forum. What a wealth of information and knowledge. So to everyone of you I just wanna say -- THANK YOU!

Old 01-08-2012 | 11:05 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

But now I gotta get back to one of my other projects...closet renovation for the wife. She'll be home soon...

Old 01-08-2012 | 12:03 PM
Jackal
Road Master

Hog, I'm beginning to think your bars are just chromed PVC.

If his dirt track bars don't work, maybe look at the Drag Specialty Superbar or Lick's Superbar. I went with the DS and love em so far. (NOT PICTURED BELOW) I just added a DK 1" spacer under the Joker riser for comfort, but it may come out of there after some testing. On my dirtbikes it's an easy choice, I ONLY run CR high / Windham bend and these are VERY similar save the crossbar and a little less pullback.

If you can't settle in on something, guess you'll just have to go the custom route.

Old 01-08-2012 | 01:42 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jackal

in on something, guess you'll just have to go the custom route.
Sshhhhh, you weren't suppose to notice.

Old 01-08-2012 | 06:12 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal

If his dirt track bars don't work, maybe look at the Drag Specialty Superbar or Lick's Superbar. I went with the DS and love em so far. (NOT PICTURED BELOW) I just added a DK 1" spacer under the Joker riser for comfort, but it may come out of there after some testing. On my dirtbikes it's an easy choice, I ONLY run CR high / Windham bend and these are VERY similar save the crossbar and a little less pullback.

If you can't settle in on something, guess you'll just have to go the custom route.
Ya man, lots of choices. We are talking about modifying the bars I bought. Custom. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover