Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011 | 08:53 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
great progress dude! love it so far. that frame turned out awesome!
It's getting there, man. Thanks!

Hey, anyone got suggestions about bars with this new lower tank position? I've been doing a lot of thinking about this lately and I've looked at a thousand different sets just over the last week or so. I originally wanted to keep the bars at or near the top of the tank so as to have a nice clean line across the top. Now with the lower tank the bars are going to have to sit higher than the tank. I've got 2 bum shoulders and they start cramping up after about an hour if I'm stretching too far forward so I have to sit realatively upright, which means some rise and some pullback. The Zero Engineering bikes are very cool looking but I couldn't ride one hunched over like that for more than about 30 minutes.

I'm kinda liking these drag bars from BK Rider - 8" rise, 11" pullback. The inch and a quarter diameter looks beefy and should go well with the fat front end. Drilled for internal wiring. They're only 30" wide, so with the bar end turn signals they won't be too wide. And the price seems right...Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Name:  BKRiderDrags1.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  6.9 KB
Name:  BKRiderDrags3.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  33.8 KB
Name:  BKRiderDrags2.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  36.5 KB

Old 12-28-2011 | 09:08 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Are those 1-1/4 or 1-1/2? My son has a set for his Sporty that look almost like those but they are 1-1/2, his are 8" rise with pullback. They were also from BK-Rider for about $100.00.
With your skills and shoulder issue, you might consider making your own, that was a big reason I made my own, to get that perfect comfort level.
Spent a lot of time mocking and cutting, checking angles and test fitting between each step and ended up with the most comfortable bars I have ever owned.
I made sure I had natural lay angles for my arms and hands.

Last edited by 8541hog; 12-28-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2011 | 09:19 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Are those 1-1/4 or 1-1/2? My son has a set for his Sporty that look almost like those but they are 1-1/2, his are 6" rise with pullback. They were also from BK-Rider for about $100.00.
With your skills and shoulder issue, you might consider making your own, that was a big reason I made my own, to get that perfect comfort level.
Spent a lot of time mocking and cutting, checking angles and test fitting between each step and ended up with the most comfortable bars I have ever owned.
The site says inch and a quarter. Inch and a half would be better though.

I've thought about making some but MY skills aren't that good. My son-in-law could make them but his time is extremely limited and I try to hit him up only when I either can't do it myself or buy it. Oh, he loves working on this project...can't keep him away from it. But he's gonna be a dad any day now and so I'm trying to prioritize things for him.

btw, those are nice looking bars man.

Old 12-28-2011 | 09:56 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Are those 1-1/4 or 1-1/2? My son has a set for his Sporty that look almost like those but they are 1-1/2, his are 8" rise with pullback. They were also from BK-Rider for about $100.00.
Hey hog, you were right. They have the black drag bars in inch and a half. Not as much pull back as the inch and a quarter but I could live with that I think. The fatter the better. Thanks for mentioning that.

Old 12-28-2011 | 10:40 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Hey hog, you were right. They have the black drag bars in inch and a half. Not as much pull back as the inch and a quarter but I could live with that I think. The fatter the better. Thanks for mentioning that.
Anytime

Old 12-28-2011 | 11:00 AM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member

Damn that's lookin sweet ! I have a '90 883/1200 that I've been itchin' to jump into , I may have just got some inspiration ! lol

Old 12-28-2011 | 12:08 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ergonight
The wiring definitely. The clutch, throttle and brake cable...I don't know about that. I haven't looked into it but I suspect it's a huge pita to do it. Perhaps more trouble than it's worth. I don't know. Something (else) to think about. Thanks Voony.
If you want to run your clutch and throttle cable internally, I suggest that you look at these ones:

http://www.demonscycle.com/Handlebar...-p2770102.html

http://www.demonscycle.com/Handlebar...-p5763796.html

I am planning on doing this one day. To buy another set of apes and take my time to install all of this along with smaller control housings.

I know that you like to do you own work, otherwise you should check out Exile. They sell or setup handlebars with internal throttle/clutch cables assemblies + internal wiring.

Old 12-29-2011 | 11:30 AM
beanerblank
Tourer

I have really been enjoying your thread. Are you planning on welding a patch in the rear fender and hiding the ECM?

Old 12-30-2011 | 03:38 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by beanerblank
I have really been enjoying your thread. Are you planning on welding a patch in the rear fender and hiding the ECM?
Thanks man. Ya, gonna patch that up and repaint it. Find a new spot for the ECM, hopefully down by the battery someplace.

Old 12-30-2011 | 03:42 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Voony
If you want to run your clutch and throttle cable internally, I suggest that you look at these ones:

I am planning on doing this one day. To buy another set of apes and take my time to install all of this along with smaller control housings.

I know that you like to do you own work, otherwise you should check out
Thanks Voony. I have seen the Exile version and it would be a sweet mod. Maybe I'll try to fit it in. $ are getting tight though...

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover