Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011 | 02:31 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Great work. I like the new rake alot.

If I may ask, why a tank lift? I was really digging the flow and lines. Take it for what you will, I'm honestly not trying to knock your bike at all. I just see some really clean lines but the tank mounted high throws me off. I like frisco tanks. The tanks with shallow tunnels that naturally mount high on the frame (not raised with brackets), however, I'm digging those tanks mostly on bikes with long skinny front ends and tall skinny 21" or 23" front wheels. To me, your bike is yelling for a low tank. Even lower than stock. I'm seeing your tank tunneled deeper and the bottom lines of your tank level with the lower frame rails hovering just above the rocker boxes.

Now, having typed all that, lol, it is your bike and you should set it up however you want. It's only natural for us to watch something like this come to life and have our own opinions.

Old 12-26-2011 | 03:14 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Hey Mike, your opinion and insight are highly valued. To tell you the truth since putting the tank back on I've been questioning lifting it that high myself. I thought maybe it was just the bars...that drag bars on six or eight inch risers would clean it up and make it flow. But you may be right about going low and I'm gonna give this some serious consideration. I've been looking at some of the Zero Engineering bikes lately and those low sleek lines are pretty compelling. Hmmmm...more to think about. Thanks man. I really appreciate your input.

Old 12-26-2011 | 04:23 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm glad you didn't take that differently than what I meant. The Zero bikes are a great example of what I'm talking about. I only want to do a little face lift on my Nightster but I'm itching to drop the tank lower. Maybe even split my stock tank into 2 flatsides but still mounted low. I've been hard at a couple tanks for some other bikes of mine so tanks are on my mind alot lately.

Old 12-26-2011 | 04:40 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I agree about the tank lift. I raised mine 1-1/2" to help with the wiring, but may work with it some more to get the tank back down. Wonder if a tank lift cuts down on useable reserve?

Old 12-26-2011 | 06:07 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rickss69
I agree about the tank lift. I raised mine 1-1/2" to help with the wiring, but may work with it some more to get the tank back down. Wonder if a tank lift cuts down on useable reserve?
Not sure on Sporty EFI, but on a Dyna it can rob some usable fuel due to the actual fuel pickup being in the front half of the tank. It's not much, but every cup is important with a small tank.

Old 12-26-2011 | 01:57 PM
PanterA101
Tourer

Originally Posted by rickss69
Yeah I was watching a video on youtube with a 48 and the guy said it knocked his useable fuel down quite a bit. They make a fire hydrant looking thing for this issue. I guess it holds fuel and mounts on the side of your bike. Someone will know what I'm talking about...

Old 12-26-2011 | 02:31 PM
PanterA101
Tourer

Here it is.

Oh yeah man, it's gnarly. I went from 77 miles a tank to 50! Haha, that part sucks, but damn does it look great! We sell a product from Nash Motorcycle Co that fixes it though, a "fuel sling". Holds an extra 10-15 miles, straps to your struts or frame, and looks badass. Like a fire extinguisher. If you follow the company on FB we have photos, it's also up on the online store now too.

Old 12-26-2011 | 10:16 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Deleted.

Last edited by Ergonight; 12-26-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 12-26-2011 | 10:20 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by mreed
I'm glad you didn't take that differently than what I meant. The Zero bikes are a great example of what I'm talking about. I only want to do a little face lift on my Nightster but I'm itching to drop the tank lower. Maybe even split my stock tank into 2 flatsides but still mounted low. I've been hard at a couple tanks for some other bikes of mine so tanks are on my mind alot lately.
For some reason, welding the tank is the scariest thing about this project for me. But I've got to do something. Still thinking...

Old 12-26-2011 | 10:25 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by PanterA101
Yeah I was watching a video on youtube with a 48 and the guy said it knocked his useable fuel down quite a bit. They make a fire hydrant looking thing for this issue. I guess it holds fuel and mounts on the side of your bike. Someone will know what I'm talking about...
I get a little more than 100 miles from the Nightster tank, which is more than I normally ride in one trip. I'm not really worried about the loss of a few miles. But thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover