Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011 | 04:11 PM
Jackal
Road Master

Just spent more...on Joker bling and fwd control extensions.

I'd have shown more of the controls, but 2" wasn't enough to clear my downtubes so TxBandit is making me 2 1/4" brackets at no charge. His CS is above and beyond and the quality is amazing for the money.

Old 12-17-2011 | 09:21 PM
PanterA101
Tourer

Crazy ****, lol. I'm liking this.

Old 12-18-2011 | 07:54 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
Just spent more...on Joker bling and fwd control extensions.

I'd have shown more of the controls, but 2" wasn't enough to clear my downtubes so TxBandit is making me 2 1/4" brackets at no charge. His CS is above and beyond and the quality is amazing for .the money.
Ok, I guess I can't rag on you about $. That joker machine stuff don't come cheap.

Old 12-18-2011 | 07:56 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by PanterA101
Crazy ****, lol. I'm liking this.
This stuff really is crazy.

Old 12-20-2011 | 12:00 PM
Ferminator
Advanced

Hey man....Good stuff !!!
How much would you say the rims cost to PC, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 12-20-2011 | 01:23 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ferminator
Hey man....Good stuff !!!
How much would you say the rims cost to PC, if you don't mind me asking?
Hey Ferm, no problem. My guys charged me $90 per wheel. One was chrome and the other was the stock rear Nightster black wheel and you can't tell them apart now. Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, one of the fork tubes had some minor stippling in the powder coat around the upper lip I was not happy with. They are going to redo that tube no charge. I'm keeping it for now so I can continue mocking up the bike and I'll have them redo it when they do the frame.

Trying like hell to get in the shop a few hours this week so I can assemble the front end. Don't know if I'm gonna make it but if I do there will be pics.

Old 12-21-2011 | 03:08 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member

dont rush things you'll only **** it up! looks like its commin together nicely. sit down have a smoke & a beer n look at it then get off ur lazy *** n finish it!!

Old 12-21-2011 | 06:48 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by swordy
dont rush things you'll only **** it up! looks like its commin together nicely. sit down have a smoke & a beer n look at it then get off ur lazy *** n finish it!!
Roger that swordy! Beer. Lots of beer. The foundation of any good mod.

Old 12-21-2011 | 12:21 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member

yep its best to be drunk when you first get the angle grinder out! then when u get up in the morning u think someone's trashed your bike!!

Old 12-24-2011 | 09:21 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master
Default Progress

Got some things done yesterday. Put the rear wheel back on. Left the brake rotor off for now but did put the newly powder coated rear sprocket on the newly powder coated rear wheel and it looks pretty nice. Then I went to install the front end and found out that Vulcan sent me the wrong axel. The one they sent is way to big in diameter and won't fit through the forks. So I'll have to deal with that. In the meantime, I used a piece of threaded rod to at least get the front wheel in place and get the bike on the ground. Check it out.
Name:  PC220028.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  148.3 KB

As you can see, I purchased new Wilwood black rotors from Scooters Performance to go with the black wheels and the powder coaters did the bolt heads. I couldn't bring myself to put the old stock rotors on those wheels.
Name:  PC230074.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  122.4 KB

Put the tank in place.
Name:  PC230055.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  140.9 KB

For now the tank is just bolted at the rear tank bracket and I have it blocked up in the front with a piece of wood. The front tank brackets have to be removed and I'll have to craft a new mounting system for the front...when we chopped the frame it moved the steering head back about half an inch and we removed the front mounting holes. So now the tank sits too far forward and the mounts hit the upper triple clamp. I'll probably chop the rear bracket and shorten it about an inch...there's pleanty of room between the rear of the tank and the seat. I also want to lower the rear of the tank so that it sits right on the frame. Due to the way the rear bracket works, when you lift the front of the tank it increases the angle at the rear bracket and raises the *** end up off the frame. So the whole tank mounting system has to be modified. But I knew that going in. It just looks kinda goofy for now. No headlight on the front adds to the goofiness.

Name:  PC230058.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  152.4 KB

However, I am loving the look so far. It's raked just enough that you know it's a departure from stock but not so much that it's over the top. I was concerned that raking it 4 degrees was going to lower the front end too much and I might have to buy longer fork tubes. But it's fine. The bike is definitely lower but the shorter shocks on the rear seem to have leveled it out quite nicely.

Name:  PC230050.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  130.4 KB

More to follow...

The following users liked this post:
Elzer0 (11-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover