Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014 | 03:12 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Oh ya ya, I wanted that fat front end look. That's a wide glide front end kit from Vulcan Engineering along with a 16" wheel and a 150/80x16 tire. The kit replaces the stock narrow glide triple clamps and has everything else you need to convert the front end. I bought the wheel off ebay. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 03-29-2014 | 04:15 AM
dhc
Intermediate

Cheers dude, will put it on my wish list

Old 03-29-2014 | 06:13 AM
Alpha Mike
Advanced

I really like the bars and controls, really clean and they look great w/ the wide front end. What's the bar & control breakdown if I may ask, I know its in here but this is a big thread

Old 03-29-2014 | 09:41 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Oh ya ya, I wanted that fat front end look. That's a wide glide front end kit from Vulcan Engineering along with a 16" wheel and a 150/80x16 tire. The kit replaces the stock narrow glide triple clamps and has everything else you need to convert the front end. I bought the wheel off ebay. Sorry for the confusion.
Is your 150/80x16 tire really classified as a "rear" tire?
If not, where'd you find that size "front" tire?

Thanks!

T.

Old 03-29-2014 | 03:38 PM
vikz250
Cruiser

Holy smokes batman!!That look amazingly awesome!!
Originally Posted by Ergonight
Let me cut right to the chase. It's phucking awesome!!

We worked on it till midnight last night, fabbing the license plate/ignition switch bracket and the headlight mount. Got them done and painted. Came back today at noon and installed them. Took it off the jack, rolled it outside, put gas in the tank, switched it on and hit the start button. It started on the first turn of the starter. Not even a hesitation. No cranking. Just pure Harley sound. Sweet!!!

I let it warm up for a few minutes and then ran it around the back parking lot and yard for a few laps. The exhaust wrap was smoking like hell, which is normal. Let it run for 10 minutes or so then shut it off. Checked the oil - good. Checked for leaks - didn't see any. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and we all just sat and stared at it. I'm sure I had a grin from ear to ear. Probably still do.

Fired it up again and this time I ran it out of town and down the road for about 2 miles and then back. Ran perfect. Sounds awesome. Amazing. Brought it back and let it sit again for 15-20 minutes. Then Ozzie took it for a spin...he was gone for 10 minutes or so. When he got back I figured I might as well get it inspected so Oz jumped on his Vulcan Ratbike and we headed out for a place that is about 10 miles up the road. When we got there the place was closed so we just came on back. On the way we ducked into an old factory in town and took some shots with my phone camera.

Yes, I know I promised a video. And we took a video. I even got my brother's GoPro camera to do it with. The problem is...my videographer took the bloody video upside down and I'm still trying to figure out how to flip it. (Max...we'll talk later...)

When I get the video sorted out I'll post it up. Promise. I'll also show some detail on the plate bracket and headlight. For now, it's back in the shop. I need to go over it and make sure everything is still tight, check for leaks and make a few minor adjustments....there's a bit of decel pop, I assume from the addition of the exhaust, but by the end of the ride that was almost completely gone. And it's running flawlessly, and fast. Nonetheless, I'm gonna adjust the Vied to make the mixture a bit richer.

More to follow...

Old 04-21-2014 | 01:25 AM
dhc
Intermediate

Simply beautiful!

Can you tell me what kind of front rim/tire that is?

Last edited by dhc; 04-21-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2014 | 03:18 AM
doctoraustin
Cruiser

I have been a fan of this bike ever since I saw the video on youtube a few years ago when I was looking at sporty vids. Too bad you are not close to CA...Would love to do a photoshoot of your bike. Im a photographer...and this is bike sex to the max. haha. Great build!

Old 04-21-2014 | 06:58 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

I apologize to everyone who has posted to this thread since March 29th. For some reason the forum did not generate the automated emails to let me know people had posted to the thread. Until this morning.

Originally Posted by Alpha Mike
I really like the bars and controls, really clean and they look great w/ the wide front end. What's the bar & control breakdown if I may ask, I know its in here but this is a big thread
Thanks Alpha Mike. The bars are custom made by my son-in-law Ozzie Sittner at Variant Fabrication. The controls are the stock Nightster controls, cut down and modified to work with the new bars.

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Is your 150/80x16 tire really classified as a "rear" tire?
If not, where'd you find that size "front" tire?

Thanks!

T.
WKNDS, the tires are Avon Venom's. The Venom comes in both a front and rear classified tire in 150/80x16, or at least it did back when I bought them. I seem to recall someone saying that the Venom line may have been replaced by Avon with something else.

Originally Posted by vikz250
Holy smokes batman!!That look amazingly awesome!!
Thank you vikz!

Originally Posted by dhc
Simply beautiful!

Can you tell me what kind of front rim/tire that is?
Thanks dhc. The front tire is an Avon Venom 150/80x16. That's the same size and model tire as is on the rear but designed by Avon as a front tire. The wheel is a 16" harley wheel that I bought on ebay. I had to change out the bearings and axle spacer to fit the Nightster forks and I powdercoated both the front and rear wheels black.

Originally Posted by doctoraustin
I have been a fan of this bike ever since I saw the video on youtube a few years ago when I was looking at sporty vids. Too bad you are not close to CA...Would love to do a photoshoot of your bike. Im a photographer...and this is bike sex to the max. haha. Great build!
Thanks doctoraustin. I would love to have some decent pictures taken of it. I need to find a photographer that lives closer to upstate NY.

Old 04-21-2014 | 07:55 AM
dhc
Intermediate

Ergonight thank you for the information!

Do you have any front shots of the bike?

Old 04-21-2014 | 01:28 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

This is the closest thing I can find to a frontal shot. If you scroll up there's another one from the front but it's closer in. I need to take more pictures...

Name:  0804121626b.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  366.0 KB

Last edited by Ergonight; 04-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover