Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013 | 07:19 AM
Hicksjay
Tourer

Ill bush,
You definitely need the rotor and caliper in. Take the fender off for now it's just in the way. The spacer pushes on the bearing and spaces the wheel over. Get the caliper set up first, then you'll know if you need different spacers.

Old 05-06-2013 | 07:44 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by KevSki
Hey dude, Great Looking Bike! I came across page 1 after a google search for downtube diameter (which i eventually no longer cared about) and was instantly hooked... So much so I joined up on the forum... It was really cool to watch the bike take such a trip and then to see that you finally got it on the road... Took me about 2 days to read all the pages (and the suspense killed me) but i'm glad when i got to the end there was a finished bike. It mush have been hell going 9 months...

Anyway just wanted to say congratulations on a truly epic build and say i throughly enjoyed watching you go through the build process... I learned a ton, was pretty inspired to start some small projects of my own, But maybe after i get my 2nd bike. so i dont have to go without a ride...

I live in the central jersey area so hopefully someday i'll run across ya (especially if you still plan on making that philly trip) so i can see the Apocalypse in person! Thanks for a great read!
Thanks Kev! Glad you enjoyed the thread. It's nice to be riding it this year. We have some great weather up here, finally, and I put about 200 miles on it over the weekend. Welcome to the forum!

Old 05-09-2013 | 11:25 PM
kyleohioguy
Intermediate

hey Ergonight , i must say the bike came out really badass.. u did tear it all down lol . i have a 08 Nightster that i just re did and oh most done. what size gallon is gas tank ? and how long are the handle bars ? i looking to put 4.5 tank on it if look right and not cost tons due to new seat / maybe install kit. plus drag bars think it makes it look more smooth look , thanks alot !!!

Old 05-10-2013 | 06:48 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by kyleohioguy
hey Ergonight , i must say the bike came out really badass.. u did tear it all down lol . i have a 08 Nightster that i just re did and oh most done. what size gallon is gas tank ? and how long are the handle bars ? i looking to put 4.5 tank on it if look right and not cost tons due to new seat / maybe install kit. plus drag bars think it makes it look more smooth look , thanks alot !!!
Thanks Kyle. The Nightster tank is 3.3 gallon but with the speedo mounted in there mine is probably under 3 now. I don't remember exactly how wide we made the bars...it might say somewhere back in the thread. I think it was 28" inches from the ends of the grips. I remember I wanted to keep it kinda narrow. Add an inch on each side for the bar end signals for the overall width. Drag bars look great but not my style. Good luck with yours!

Old 05-16-2013 | 10:31 AM
gwaligorski
Advanced

Just got done reading this entire thread over the course of this week. Awesome job! This makes me want to tear mine down and rebuild it but, I know I won't go farther that I already have on my Sporty.

Old 05-17-2013 | 07:06 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by gwaligorski
Just got done reading this entire thread over the course of this week. Awesome job! This makes me want to tear mine down and rebuild it but, I know I won't go farther that I already have on my Sporty.
Thanks man. Glad you enjoyed the thread.

Old 06-15-2013 | 01:51 PM
djohng1101
Intermediate

Hey brother awesome rebuild... Awesome thread too. I was really trying to just figure out how you filled that ecm hole. I couldn't really see the detailed thread. Maybe I missed a page or something. I am definitely going to take off a couple inches on the fender. I am in the same boat as u. Got a springer seat but my girl would be pissed if I chopped it and she couldn't ride. Not tha she rides a lot but I have to keep the option for her...

Anyway, can u tell me what u did to cover the hole please? I am not capable of doing it myself due to the fact that I don't have the tools to even attempt it. But once I know what rout you went, I can shop around to see what it will run me.

Thanks brotha!!!

Old 06-16-2013 | 07:31 AM
djohng1101
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mreed
You can use a part of another fender. Makes it super easy.

This wasn't your job reed???

Old 06-16-2013 | 12:48 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Those pics are from mreed, who comes up with really innovative solutions to problems like this. If you haven't read any of his threads, start.

For mine I had one of the guys at the shop who's pretty good with body work cut and fit a piece of steel and weld it into the hole. I had to smooth it with bondo/mud before I painted it.

Good luck man.

Old 06-16-2013 | 02:17 PM
djohng1101
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Those pics are from mreed, who comes up with really innovative solutions to problems like this. If you haven't read any of his threads, start.

For mine I had one of the guys at the shop who's pretty good with body work cut and fit a piece of steel and weld it into the hole. I had to smooth it with bondo/mud before I painted it.

Good luck man.
Great!!! Thanks For the reply... I'm getting it done next week for sure...

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover