Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013 | 01:23 AM
Lilbushhead
Novice

Got mine mocked up. I know you stated that you received two wrong axles. Harley manual says that the hole should be even with fork tube. Little off. Seems as though the wheel isn't centered either, don't want to trust the fender, but you can see it off there. Any info would help. Thanks

Name:  image-4.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  46.0 KB
Name:  image-5.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  50.3 KB
Name:  image-7.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  43.1 KB
Name:  image-8.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  36.0 KB

Old 03-22-2013 | 08:24 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

I'm not expert in this but from what I remember in doing mine, the critical alignment for the front end is the brake disc (bolted to the wheel) and the brake caliper (bolted to the forks). The caliper is fixed to the left lower fork tube so whatever you do with the front wheel (either keeping the stock tire/wheel or going with the 16" wide tire conversion) the disc has to end up perfectly aligned with the caliper. My Vulcan kit came with a disc spacer that bolts to the left side of the wheel and moves the disc out away from the wheel approx 3/8-1/2 inch. You can see it here (the round disc with 5 bolts) along with the axle and wheel spacers.
Name:  Wheelspacer_zps1c153c64.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  47.9 KB

So if they sent you the right axle and all the right spacers for your conversion (they sent me the wrong stuff, twice, and we had to modify one of the axles and make new wheel spacers) it should put your rotor in perfect alignment with the caliper. It should also put the wheel pretty close to being right in the center of your forks but it's the rotor/caliper alignment that is the critical part.

From your pics you don't have the disc spacer and brake disc bolted up and it doesn't appear you have the bearings in the wheel (maybe, I can't really tell). You will need to have all of that stuff in place in order to determine whether or not the wheel spacers they sent you are the right size.

Hope this helps man.

Old 03-22-2013 | 10:17 AM
Lilbushhead
Novice

My kit didn't include a rotor spacer. Bearings are in, sorry its dark. Even if I hade a spacer that shouldn't effect wheel space because the spacers do not touch the rotor just the bearing, correct. It will tell me if I'm spaced correctly by lining up with caliper. I was just doing a quick mock-up. Things just don't look right. In my opinion, I need to turn down the left side and get about a quarter inch larger right side spacer. But I shouldn't for $450. So far they have been great. We'll see from here.

Old 03-22-2013 | 12:23 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

That was a similar issue to what I had. The right side of the axle wasn't turned back far enough and the left side spacer was too small. I have no idea what model Harley would have a front wheel with 4" of space on the right side and 1" of space on the left but that's what you got with that axle. To get everything lined up we had to turn down the right shoulder to lessen the space on the right side of the wheel and then fabricated a larger spacer for the left. As Rog and Rick said in the other thread, call them and tell them what size front wheel you're using and hopefully they will send you the right axle/spacer combination.

Old 03-22-2013 | 06:09 PM
CaptainHook
Road Captain

sooo clean. Like it a lot

Old 03-23-2013 | 06:49 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Thanks Captain.

Old 03-25-2013 | 11:18 AM
wickdwayz
Intermediate

Wow! What a beautiful bike. I stayed up til 4 am reading it last night and just finished. It looks so awesome. The video was even better than the pics. There is so much useful info in your thread. It should be a Sticky post. You have wide glide front, air shocks, homemade air intake, wire routing, solo seat and 2 up conversion, and dozen more mods and creations.
I really enjoyed watching your bike go from stock to personal creation. It's a Harley-Davidson motor on your Ergonight.

Old 03-25-2013 | 06:49 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by wickdwayz
Wow! What a beautiful bike. I stayed up til 4 am reading it last night and just finished. It looks so awesome. The video was even better than the pics. There is so much useful info in your thread. It should be a Sticky post. You have wide glide front, air shocks, homemade air intake, wire routing, solo seat and 2 up conversion, and dozen more mods and creations.
I really enjoyed watching your bike go from stock to personal creation. It's a Harley-Davidson motor on your Ergonight.
Thanks wickd! That's exactly the way I feel about it now, a custom bike with a Harley motor, even though there's still a lot more HD in it than just the motor. Now if the weather would warm up enough for the snow to melt and we could begin the riding season up here in the frozen north...

Old 05-06-2013 | 01:04 AM
KevSki
2nd Gear

Hey dude, Great Looking Bike! I came across page 1 after a google search for downtube diameter (which i eventually no longer cared about) and was instantly hooked... So much so I joined up on the forum... It was really cool to watch the bike take such a trip and then to see that you finally got it on the road... Took me about 2 days to read all the pages (and the suspense killed me) but i'm glad when i got to the end there was a finished bike. It mush have been hell going 9 months...

Anyway just wanted to say congratulations on a truly epic build and say i throughly enjoyed watching you go through the build process... I learned a ton, was pretty inspired to start some small projects of my own, But maybe after i get my 2nd bike. so i dont have to go without a ride...

I live in the central jersey area so hopefully someday i'll run across ya (especially if you still plan on making that philly trip) so i can see the Apocalypse in person! Thanks for a great read!

Old 05-06-2013 | 07:13 AM
XLDutch
Advanced

Bike looks amazing! How big is your rear tire? I was not able to read this entire thread and catch it. what did it take to make it bigger besides a rim?

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover