Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012 | 02:17 AM
Jcoss92
Novice

what are the forward controls and handle bar grips on your bike i can't find them anywhere and i think they look sick.

Old 12-29-2012 | 12:31 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Here's the real problem - When I reassembled the bike back in the Spring I replaced a lot of the standard crap Harley button head torx bolts with some nice button head stainless bolts that have an allen head recess instead of the torx recess like the one pictured above. The stainless bolts apparently aren't as hard as regular steel ...
Didn't see this post till today. Stainless aren't a good choice where you use significant torque or have heavy loads on them; there are stronger rated, but you have to look for them and they still won't approach #8 strength, which in this application I'd think would be desired. Might want to see if you could find chromed #8's. When you put torque on a stainless that was intended for a high strength steel, you're really stretching the bolt, and the threads can/will bind. Suspect by now you've gotten the stripped head bolts off, be interesting to know how you did it in that confined space. If you haven't done it yet, and the welding trick doesn't work, I wonder if you could carefully grind the head off and slip the bracket off, then get the stud out with vice grips.

Old 12-29-2012 | 10:50 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jcoss92
what are the forward controls and handle bar grips on your bike i can't find them anywhere and i think they look sick.
Hey Jcoss, I bought the pegs and grips from Speed Dealer Customs. Billet aluminum and I really like them.

Old 12-29-2012 | 10:56 PM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Imold
Didn't see this post till today. Stainless aren't a good choice where you use significant torque or have heavy loads on them; there are stronger rated, but you have to look for them and they still won't approach #8 strength, which in this application I'd think would be desired. Might want to see if you could find chromed #8's. When you put torque on a stainless that was intended for a high strength steel, you're really stretching the bolt, and the threads can/will bind. Suspect by now you've gotten the stripped head bolts off, be interesting to know how you did it in that confined space. If you haven't done it yet, and the welding trick doesn't work, I wonder if you could carefully grind the head off and slip the bracket off, then get the stud out with vice grips.
Thanks for the info Imold. I actually haven't gotten around to fixing that yet so your suggestion about grinding the head off might be the way to go. We'll see. I was thinking about getting chrome bolts to replace the soft stainless but haven't gotten around to that yet either. It's friggin cold and snowing and everytime I see the bike it just makes me more frustrated that I can't ride it. So I've been putting it off.

Old 01-01-2013 | 02:28 PM
Jcoss92
Novice

hey, i really like the the air cleaner you put on your bike but how does it do performance wise. i just put the v&h big radius on my bike and I'm looking for something that will preform well with them but also look good i like the size of yours two.

Old 01-01-2013 | 02:47 PM
groverhd
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Created a new video highlighting some of the mods to the bike. It's my first real youtube creation and it's my brother's GoPro camera that I am still not all that familiar with, so it's not the best documentary out there, but it will give you a better look at Zombie Apocalypse. Enjoy.

after watching this i am even more impressed!

Old 01-02-2013 | 07:08 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jcoss92
hey, i really like the the air cleaner you put on your bike but how does it do performance wise. i just put the v&h big radius on my bike and I'm looking for something that will preform well with them but also look good i like the size of yours two.
I haven't had the bike dyno'd but it appears to run and perform great. It's a simple 4" round housing, comparible to any of the aftermarket air cleaners out there, only cheaper. Mine is an mreed design, taken from his thread on Cheap and Easy Do it Yourself Air Cleaners. I modified a 4" automotive air cleaner I got from Vintage Speed.com. It's a cast aluminum piece and I painted it flat black with Harley texture black paint to match the cylinders.

Old 01-02-2013 | 07:12 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by groverhd
after watching this i am even more impressed!
Thanks grover. When the warm weather hits I plan to do a better video with the new GoPro Hero 2 my kids gave me for Xmas.

Old 01-02-2013 | 08:14 AM
h964
Cruiser

great job, i am digging the bar end turn signals!

Old 01-02-2013 | 09:37 AM
Ergonight
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by h964
great job, i am digging the bar end turn signals!
Thanks man. Doing the bar end signals with the internal throttle was a real feat of engineering and fabrication by Ozzie. I like not having anything hanging off the forks and struts. Really simplifies the lines.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover