Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sportster primary

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
I run Mobil 1 V-twin in both holes.

Most will recommend changing the oil prior to winter rather than in the spring then you will have fresh oil in the bike through the winter. The argument on this is that carbon in the oil stored over the winter is hard on the cylinder walls, crankcase, etc.

I'm on the fence on this one, but I plan on riding some throughout the winter when weather permits. I've got about 2,000 miles on my engine oil right now & I think I'm gonna leave it an change it when spring comes. However, I've got fresh oil in the primary/tranny because I had to replace an o-ring on my clutch cable about 500 miles ago.
Carbon? Not really. It's actually due to used oil absorbing combustion by-products like sulfur,which turn to sulfuric acid. Carbon doesn't do any damage when the bike is sitting. Sulfuric acid however will affect gaskets for sure.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eh, I ride a pretty fair ammount, around 10K a year in the northeast, and I don't worry about it so much. I have never heard of rings or cylinders or pistons or anything else breaking because the user put the bike away for the winter with old oil in it... but I'm willing to entertain stories to the contrary.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
RAL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Mobil-1 GEAR oil...75 w 90.
While there is no doubt that the M1 75w90 gear lube does an excellent job at keeping the gears lubed and running smoothly there is a problem. The stator is bathed in that same lube and there is no question that the yellow metals do not do too well with the sulfer. Mobils statement on their 75w90s compatibility with yellow metals http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...hronizers.aspx.

Nuff said

RAL

Old 11-10-2011, 12:50 PM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks R, my instincts served me well using the Formula+.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:03 PM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 194 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RAL
While there is no doubt that the M1 75w90 gear lube does an excellent job at keeping the gears lubed and running smoothly there is a problem. The stator is bathed in that same lube and there is no question that the yellow metals do not do too well with the sulfer. Mobils statement on their 75w90s compatibility with yellow metals http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...hronizers.aspx.

Nuff said

RAL
The Mobil response is vety interesting. I just looked at a bottle of Drag Specialties Sportster primay fluid, and guess what? It is GL-5 rated. This is going to merit more investigation.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:17 PM
RAL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fdh161
The Mobil response is vety interesting. I just looked at a bottle of Drag Specialties Sportster primay fluid, and guess what? It is GL-5 rated. This is going to merit more investigation.
We all have to make our own call on these matters.....Check out post #38 on the synthetic oil thread that is currently running.
With a little searching you will find all too many experiences similar to his. Too many for me to just shrug off. It might be different if all the other choices were crap lubes but that is not the case. As in most things there is no absolute guaranty. In the end you place your bet where you see the best odds.

RAL

Old 11-10-2011, 01:26 PM
TheGarbon
Cruiser

Good thread.. On my 2 Enfields I run ATF-F as it has friction modifiers and all that good stuff for the clutch.. Also since it is red you can tell were you are leaking from when the time comes.. Guess I will run it in my HD as well, makes shopping easier.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would advise strongly AGAINST using the Mobil 1 gear oil in the Sportster transmission. I used it in my 2004 Sporty, and my wife's 2006. Had to replace the clutch in mine at 18k, and the clutch AND stator in hers at similar intervals. I think something in the Mobil 1 ate the brass rivets in the clutches and messed up the stator. No scientific proof, just my experience. Stick with Formula + is my advice.... (We both have Softails now, but I still use Formula + in the primaries and Spectro Platinum gear oil in the trannies)

For those who missed it!

Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just called Royal Purple to see what they said about it and their Max Gear lube like I was going to use is completely non-corrosive to all metals, however they all contain friction modifier for limited slip applications...not good in a clutch. FYI.

They said to use their Max Cycle 20w50 lube in the crankcase and Max Cycle 10w30 in the primary. I'll probably just use the synthetic HD stuff...at least in the primary.

Last edited by Jackal; 11-10-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Running the Harley 20W -50 Screaming Eagle SYN 3 in mine.Just switched to it a week ago.

Last edited by Brion B; 11-10-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: sportster primary