Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Ricor Intiminators in the Sporty today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:53 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Installed Ricor Intiminators in the Sporty today...

I got a set of Ricor intiminators for my sportster last week and found the time to isntall them today. I do not sell Ricor's.

I have a set in my softail and teh difference that they made in the handling of the front end was nothing short of extremely impressive to me. The sporty is an 883L (my wife's) and has a really harsh front end due to the fact taht it is so low.

I recently replace my 12" 412 rear progressive shocks with a set of the 13.5" 440's. Wow,the bike felt much different and handled so much better. I ahd more ground clearance which I really like in the canyon's, but the front end was still junk. So fast froward to the intimiantors.

I got a set of the 39mm which fit the sportsters. The install on the sportster is so much easier than the softail. Pop the fork cap (1 3/8")after getting the front wheel off the ground. Be careful as there is still plenty of pressure on the spring even with the wheel off the ground.

Drain the fork oil. I did not do this as I had no fork oil on hand and will do this as soon as I get a some 5W amsoil which is recommend by Ricor. Remove the spring (the 883L has no spacer in the fork) and drop the intimnator into the fork. Fill with oil before putting the spring in if you have drained. it. Fill the forks evenly as well. Pop the cap back on and tighten it down and you are done.

Repeat for the second fork. The only aprt I had trouble with was getting teh stock spring down far enough to get teh fork cap back on. Myself and a freind (neither of us are weak) spent about 40 minutes trying to get the fork cap on in every way we could imagine and were unable to get it done. Teh 883L: has shorter forks than the other sporty;'s I have gathered after this exercise in frustration. So next we got a ratchet strap and put it aroudn the lower triple tree. We put a socket on top of the ratchet as the one I had would not turn freely without the socket there. We tightened it down and finally got the cap on. It took about 5 minutes to do the second fork. LOL.

Anyway I took the bike for a short ride up and down the street (which is very bumpy) to see how it handled. Wow. It was night and day. I was seeking out as many bumps as I could find and the bike is on rails now.

In fact, I had to tighten up the rear shocks a bit to match the feeling of the front. I am taking it up to the canyons tomorrow to see what it can do (granted that is an 883) and will report back later tomorrow afternoon.

Pop the cap

Remove the spring and drop in teh intiminator

Put the caps back on and ride.

The intiminator

A word about Ricor. These parts are not inexpensive but i have to say if a smooth ride is what you are after they are worth every penny.

Drew

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 11-09-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:44 AM
jerryw618
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting ?????? i recently changed the springs on my 07 883L there was a spacer in there about 10" long steel tube and a short spring in each leg ????

Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

This bike is an 05 883L and this is what comes in the fork stock. The fork tubes are shorter on the "L" version. Not sure about your 10" long spacer. What year is your bike?

Drew

Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Here is the review I wrote for my softail.
http://drvtwin.blogspot.com/2011/03/...tors-work.html

Drew

Old 11-10-2011, 08:35 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Doc, I accomplished what you did with 13.5" 440s and Progressive forks springs using the included spacer at its full 3" length. In combination with 7w Belray fork oil my front and rear work in perfect harmony. I rode MAICOs in the 70s and know how a well set up suspension should work.

Attached Thumbnails Installed Ricor Intiminators in the Sporty today...-st-g21-46-screws-363-small-.jpg  
Old 11-10-2011, 08:41 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1200Cdriver
Doc, I accomplished what you did with 13.5" 440s and Progressive forks springs using the included spacer at its full 3" length. In combination with 7w Belray fork oil my front and rear work in perfect harmony. I rode MAICOs in the 70s and know how a well set up suspension should work.
How easy was it to get the fork cap back on? Here is how they work.

Patented Inertia Active Dampening for Damper Rod Front Forks

This is the only front fork on the market that knows if the wheel is trying to move or if the chassis is trying to move, resulting in a more stable chassis and a faster wheel response over bumps. It will give you a safer, more comfortable, better performing ride.

The INTIMINATOR sits on top of your stock damper rod forcing the oil through high quality deflected discs found in top of the line shock absorbers. When the front tire hits a bump then the inertia of that bump opens the inertia valve instantly allowing for a faster response. Easy to install. Two front fork valves included. To learn more about our revolutionary technology, click here.

A fork spring and spacer is not going to do that. It will improve your ride, but this is different adn I wnat people to understand the differences.

Drew

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 11-10-2011 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mrbreezeett1 (03-29-2020)
Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

While it may be the cat's meow, persuading most people to spend $300 vs $90 or less is a hard sell for all but the truely hard-core.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Doc, you stated above that you don't sell Intiminators and yet you said "our" revolutionary technology. My front wheel accurately follows whatever surface its rolling on, you can't get much better than that.

At 69 years old I still have enough of my muscle mass to amaze my Doctor, I simply palmed a ratchet and pushed the cap down until the threads engaged keeping the down pressure on until about 3 threads were engaged. I'm 5' 9" and 211 lbs, no giant but a little top heavy. I used the Progressive FOL-1 and this socket.

Attached Thumbnails Installed Ricor Intiminators in the Sporty today...-fol-1-002-small-.jpg   Installed Ricor Intiminators in the Sporty today...-st-g21-46-screws-104.jpg  
Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I am not trying to persuade anyone to do anything, just sharing information. They make a big difference. Have a great day!

Drew

Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have over 30000 miles on the intiminators ,still working great . I waited to change the fork oil at the 30000 mile mark instead of the recommended 20000 from harley . I also changed the fork caps with these chrome caps . I will not have to remove the caps next time I want to change the fork oil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-39mm-...item5d30115074

Last edited by turn8a; 11-10-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed Ricor Intiminators in the Sporty today...