Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:24 PM
VirgeB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank Joe. That really clears it up. Have a buddy who is an Amsoil dealer so I'm going to put in an order. Just turned a little over 9k on the bike so I'm going to go ahead and change the fluids.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea Joe, I replied to another post of yours in another thread about this after speaking with RP on the phone about it. I had completely forgotten that they put friction modifier in all of their Max Gear oils for limited slip differentials. This is no beuno for the clutch. I'd suspect that the friction plates in your clutch would, ideally, need to be replaced. If you aren't having any problems, then you might not care to mess with it.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:59 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
Yea Joe, I replied to another post of yours in another thread about this after speaking with RP on the phone about it. I had completely forgotten that they put friction modifier in all of their Max Gear oils for limited slip differentials. This is no beuno for the clutch. I'd suspect that the friction plates in your clutch would, ideally, need to be replaced. If you aren't having any problems, then you might not care to mess with it.
Hey!.. yeah... these whole Sportster Primary/Trans oil options does not seem to be too clear in our cyber community.. my main concern is that I noticed Mobil 1 / Royal Purple Max Gear 75W90 Gear Oil seems to be a popular recommendation among members in many different HD forums.. and this is clearly an incorrect choice.. I know there is an "Oil related" Discussion in HDForums... but I wonder if we can promote a Sticky in our Sportster section with clear technical explanations and oil recommendations / guidelines .. perpetuation of the Mobil 1 / Royal Purple /etc 75W90 Gear Oil recommendation for Sportster's Primary/Transmission is going to become a costly mistake for the forum members.. :-(

Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 PM
kidkoon
Novice

+1000000000000 Veen in them spitten contest before

Old 11-25-2011, 05:15 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

TONS of good info on this thread. Been ridin 42 years, read a gang of these threads, + STILL never knew about the adverse effect of GL-5 gear oils on yellow metals. Anyway, you guys have no problem running 20W-50 year-round in a '99 883?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:32 PM
MattCo
Tourer

Used this thread so I didn't start a new one (which usually people hate ) but I have a stupid question for yall.

Is there any problem with changing oil too quickly (other than wasting money)? I have put 3000 miles on my XL but I bought it used and I feel like "restarting" the process of the oil so that I know that it has been changed correctly and in due time.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:49 PM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MattCo
Used this thread so I didn't start a new one (which usually people hate ) but I have a stupid question for yall.

Is there any problem with changing oil too quickly (other than wasting money)? I have put 3000 miles on my XL but I bought it used and I feel like "restarting" the process of the oil so that I know that it has been changed correctly and in due time.

Thanks for your help.
No adverse effects to changing it early. I change mine every 2,500 and I use synthetic. Totally unnecessary but it helps me sleep at night

Old 08-20-2013, 02:07 PM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless someone beat me to it here's a different suggestion, why not have a discussion on what lubes to avoid, it would be a mush shorter discussion and would be of great benefit since we all seem to know what lubes work well.

My favorite lube of the moment is RevTech 25w60 in the engine and RevTech Sportster Tranny Oil in the tranny. Same as others, it works well. cHarley should be the first to chime in since he knows several to avoid and the reasons for it. Yeah. I have about 350 miles to go to hit 20,000 and change it again.

Attached Thumbnails Synthetic oil-bagger-small-.jpg  
Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pinch hitting for cHarley. Below is a link to his thread on safe oils and ones to avoid. Great research I had nothing to do with.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-answered.html

Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by baggerman11
thae 75W90 is recommended by harley, the manual calls for 15w50. change it out and you'll see the difference. also, whenever you change to synthetic oil, you'll also have to buy a high performance oil dipstick. Reason for the high performance dipstick is so it can transperliforate the viscosity of the velcocity of the oil and not allow the velocity of the viscosity to dissapate into the engine. Very important.
Dont forget your high performance dipstick mentioned in post 29. Without it, synthetics advantages are voided.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil