Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 AM
kerigoff
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Advice

I plan on doing a stage 1 kit on my 11' 48 and I am clueless about what exhaust to put on the bike. I want the bike to be a tad louder but not ridicules. Any suggestions?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 AM
A Seabee
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kerigoff
I plan on doing a stage 1 kit on my 11' 48 and I am clueless about what exhaust to put on the bike. I want the bike to be a tad louder but not ridicules. Any suggestions?
Use the search window, and you'll find literally thousands of posts on exhaust for XL's everything from slip ons to $1000 2 into 1 systems and everything in between. There are some nice slip-on options out there if you just want a little more sound...

Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Here is one of the threads that Seabee is referring to: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-slip-ons.html
It has before and after videos of he Screamin Eagle Street Performance slip-ons that I put on my '08 1200 Custom and includes others comments on them. They may be what you are looking for--they are significantly louder, but not "ridiculous" and are street legal in all 50 states.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 AM
quixote
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.......Any suggestions?
Spend some time over on youtube and do a search on sportster exhaust. You'll not only see the pipes, you'll hear them.
Here's a start: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...8+exhaust&aq=f

I will have gone through 3 different exhausts in the last 12 months....

When I first got this sporty, I went with a set X14ieD's for a better air to fuel ratio along with a pair of Screamin' Eagle SP slip-on's and a K&N filter in the OEM airbox. That set up really smoothed out the sporty's low speed manners and improved overall rideability.

After a few months I changed out the Screamin' Eagle SP mufflers for a set of Rush slip-ons with 1-3/4" baffles. As soon as I did that, the bike ran way too lean even with the X14ieD's. The Rush pipes flowed so much better that I needed a different fuel manager. I went with Cobra's simple 3 pot controller (FI2000R) and bypassed the O2 sensors to run only in 'open loop'. Hugh difference in performance with that combination. A month later, swapped the OEM intake for NRHS's round and that really woke everything up. Power delivery is well balanced across the entire rpm range with no gaps or flat spots.

Now I'm looking at going to a 2 into 1 exhaust system for a more mellow sound and a squeak better low end torque. I'm leaning towards Drag Specialties' Python 1800-0494. It's made by V&H and is very similar to their Pro-pipe.

~

Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,238 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Modifying the stock exhaust is the least expensive way to get "a tad louder". We should have a before & after youtube of how to do that later today. Will post the link here as soon as it is up.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:55 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Modifying the stock exhaust is the least expensive way to get "a tad louder". We should have a before & after youtube of how to do that later today. Will post the link here as soon as it is up.

^ Here, here! That's exactly what we need...the prices on Sportster exhausts have gotten ridiculous.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:58 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Old 11-08-2011, 01:04 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Thank you very much for posting that.

Your link shows a 158 and a 258 model family baffle...which is "W" and which is "Q"? Also, might it be easier to leave the muffler on the bike when drilling to steady it then remove it to knock out the baffle?

EDIT: I see now there is a drop down menu once you click on options. Thanks!

Last edited by rickss69; 11-08-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by rickss69
Thank you very much for posting that.

Your link shows a 158 and a 258 model family baffle...which is "W" and which is "Q"? Also, might it be easier to leave the muffler on the bike when drilling to steady it then remove it to knock out the baffle?

EDIT: I see now there is a drop down menu once you click on options. Thanks!
Yeah, we still have more work to do on the description so that it is clear.

Best not to leave it on the bike...when drilling the hot metal filings can fly out and embed in the powder coat of the frame. Also, you don't want any metal ending up in your header pipes...reversion will pull them back into your cylinders.

It's not too hard to hold onto when drilling. We have done a bunch of them, and every time we say we should wrap them in something and put them in a vice...but we never do. lol

Old 11-08-2011, 03:38 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

I was more worried about your hand than anything else lol! I know how those hole saws like to catch and grab at times.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice