Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a Sportstour?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
...sport bikes must crank up to power mode, mine just jumps away first....
I snapped a chain once, pulling off the line with high rpm, always think of that when I want to launch hard, and with a belt now, well, I don't really know how that compares to a chain for massive stress like that. Suspect it doesn't do the clutch any good, either. I've stretched loose spots on a chain with less than a thousand miles on it, don't know how a belt would compare. But being in the retirement stage of life, I don't really ride like that now, anyway. I know what you mean about power mode, that's one of the things I like about Harley's, that tractor pull. Cars are like that, too. Had a Nissan 300ZX that would slam you back in the seat, but you had to abuse the heck out of it to do it, keeping the rpm's above 3000 at launch. Much preferred my 440 ci Dodge decades ago, punch it at idle and it was gone.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:41 PM
wardch
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink sportsters as touring bikes

take a look at Allan Girdlers' sportster book Harley made the sportster into a mini Electraglide back in the late 50s or early 60s. Sportsters are actually paperboy bikes They had at one time the hotest cam Harley made the W grind I loved my sportster , but the vibes on my old body was hard ..Havent tried the new rubber sportster yet

Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I have bags on my 883 because i'm a daily rider and need room for my work, rain gear, etc. I don't have a windshield. Don't like them and probably never will. If your in good physical shape you have no real need for one. Contrary to propular belief the 883 is more then enough engine to do anything. They are only gimped by what the factory puts out. If they put a nice suspension on them at the factory. You could tour with the others with incredible comfort. My sporty is nimble, i can throw my leg down in a slide if need be. I'm as strong as an ox and can't keep it from going over if it so happens. So no chick has a chance in heck of stopping a drop on a bad day. I'm an original type person and nothing reflects the originality of HD better then its first blood the Sporty. No other HD model has the coolness factor of a Sportster.... Just sayin... Chicks on Sporties are just damn sexy....

Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 PM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Professir
I am not much on floorboards, but I have leather bags, detach windshield and a nice detach back rest for the Lady. And yes, we tour. I just am not giving up the handling and quickness for a bit of storage and a radio. I got ear buds.
YUP! I drive mine with the extended pegs (big feet). Handles great, corners great.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile Sportster " chick " bikes

Alot of HA's rode sportsters back in the 60's/70's Would you tell them they were chick bikes?

Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
Alot of HA's rode sportsters back in the 60's/70's Would you tell them they were chick bikes?
Good point, and I agree. I also think that the electric starter would have a lot to do with it. I'm not saying girls can't kick, but I really think that would make a big difference in whether it's a chick bike not.

Most guys that think they know say that the Sportster is the hardest of the HDs to kick. I can't say because I've never kicked anything other than a Sportster.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:14 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think the Sportstour would sell unless its affordable. My guess is it wouldn't be.
In regards to the Sportster being regarded as a chick bike, or a starter bike.. absolutely and if anybody tells otherwise they are full of ****.
If you ride a Sporty, in order to get any respect by fellow Harley riders the following MUST be true...

Your other friends all ride Sportsters
Your other friends all ride metric bikes
Your other bike is a Harley big twin
Your a chick... (and even if you are.. its just a matter of time before you will get harrassed into getting a big twin).

One last thing.. I own a Sportster. I have owned 2. 1988 tricked out to the max and currently a 1989.
Both chain drive solid mount 4 spds.

Last edited by jgcable; 11-15-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:10 PM
surazal54
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportour bike

That is what I feel I have ... I have had a virago 1000 and a K1000 BMW both set up a tour bikes with hard shell bags lockable and water proof and with windshields and a guess what a tool kit which my $8000 HD 883 doesn't even come with ... cheap buggers ... any way it runs fine and pulls fine with me and the gf ... a small rear rack and I commute daily on it to work ... it isn't like most of the guys at work a bike that only goes out on the weekend for a long ride ... I have chores and errands to run and it gets run every day it isn't raining or snowing ... so yes I have a sportour ... I have owned 9 different bikes since my forst one in 76 a BMW R60/5 .. I figure at 57 this one might be my last ... so it is all fit to travel when I retire in 2.5 years ... it is going with me to my brothers from ALbany NY to Seattle at that point and stop to visit all my friends along the way ... so enjoy a nice easy to get along with machine I sure do

Old 11-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

My sportster is a part time sportstour. Just got back from a 750 mile one way trip from Atlanta GA to Fayetteville AR, all without hitting a single interstate. Was I as comfortable as relaxing in my Lazyboy? HELL NO, I was riding a motorcycle on the back roads for 750 miles in 30 to 60 degree temps. But I wasnt uncomfortable either. Now that Im back all the touring stuff comes off in about 2 minutes, sissy bar, backpack and gps. Now Im back to my cool looking 48 for around town.........try that touring bikes

Im sure people would buy a small touring bike, I wouldnt, if I want trunks Ill take my car.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by VirgeB
I've ridden sport bikes for the past 15 years and this is my first Harley. This 1200 has way more get up and go than any 1000cc sportbike I have ridden. I'm 5'6" and 140 lbs and this 1200 is more than enough bike for me.
Had to laugh a 600cc crotch rocket will blow the doors off yours or anybodys 1200 Sportster. 1000cc would vaporize it . I had an old Yamaha YJ- 650 that would blow away a 1200 Sportster. V-twins aren't racy.

Quick Reply: How about a Sportstour?