Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resale Value and service agreements

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Sinkinfast
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resale Value and service agreements

I've seen some discussions around here about HD's service agreements. Some folks like-em, and others think it's a waste of good money better spent on chrome.

Mmmmmmmm... Chrommmme...

Anyway, here is my question. If you were buying a Used Harley from someone, and it had the transferable HD service agreement on the bike, would you feel better about buying the bike?

Do you think you would pay more for a bike with the agreement vs a similar used bike without it?

How about you guys with the agreements? Is it easier to sell or trade your bike with one of these agreements?

The main reason I ask is that I may be able to get an agreement on a new 07 bike, for over 50% off, meaning if it allowed me to sell the bike in a few years for $500 more, it would end up being essentially free.

Thanks in advance for your replys and advice.

[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 11-29-2006, 02:00 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Resale Value and service agreements

It would be a good selling point if I was buying a several year old bike but it wouldn't be worth anywhere near $500.00 more for the bike than a comparable one without the coverage. At least not for me.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah, what whaap said. I totally agree...

Old 11-29-2006, 09:50 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I submitted a cancel request for my extended warranty a couple of weeks ago. Sure wish they'd hurry up with that refund check.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:46 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 271 Likes on 167 Posts

Well for me the warranties are worth it.

For six years I do not need to pull any money out of my pocket -- that is after $4400 in warranty(and gap) ... extended and the maintenance which includes tires and rims.

My reasoning ... I bought the bike in Aug of 06 ... I am just about to roll 4,000k which means I will be averaging 1000 miles per month. Using her as a commuter basically, 84 mile round trip at least 3 days a week. Joy rides on the weekend and after work(long way home )

4.8 services a year ranging from $200-300 = 960/1440 a year in service. At least one set of tires $400 hundred (probably more with mounting and installation). The maintenance service contract pays for itself in 2/3 years.

Gap .. gotta have it.

Extended just gives me piece of mind. If no claims against it at terms end (yeah right) I get a refund in full and the preferred service plan provides a rental bike while they have my bike in the shop.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it. I think it's a damn good idea.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any financial investment analyst will tell you that you are losing on the deal.If you take the money and invest it in even a savings account and pay for the repairs you will be ahead of the game.That is what the warranty company is doing.However if you don't have the cash it is even worse because you are financing repairs on your bike from day one.The policies usually don't extend the warranty as much as they seem to imply.Warranties that add to the base warranty are usually best purchased just prior to the factory warranty expiring.That way they add more miles or time as needed for a longer period of time and mileage.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:17 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I hope you guys have dealers that can get you in and of the service deparment in less than 4 days. And they actually fix any problems you have with your bike. I'm still under the original warranty, but I choose to do the work myself.

Eventhough I'm not a wrench (I'm an accountant) I can do most of the work more quickly and more competently , than the dealerships. I'm just not a big fan of HD service departments. When you have a problem, they ask you to leave the bike with them for 3 or 4 days, and then, (after they repair the damage from the problem) they "couldn't figure out what caused the problem, but bring it back after 300 miles or so, and we'll look at it again." Then I usually ask them what time tomorrow would be good for me to bring the bike back. That's not what they want to hear. They expect to tell you to ride it for a few hundred miles and if they ever see you again, it will be several months!!!! I've used 3 different dealerships, same run around.

And GAP is even a bigger rip off, but if that's the only way you can ride....go for it!!! $4,400 for maintenance and GAP. That's almost as much as I paid for my bike.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:46 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 271 Likes on 167 Posts

$4400 hundred for Maintenance (including tires and rims), Extended Warranty, Gap and loaner.

No matter how you cut it up, your gonna pay. Either pay the piper when you buy the bike; or any other vehicle for that matter; or when its time for repair.

In response to the initial question of the thread ... would I be more apt to by a bike (or anything else) if covered by a warranty. My answer is Yes. Especially used.

Suppose Ill agree to disagree.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome sportypig! Let's do some math. All my maintance is covered for 36,000 miles. Every 1000 mile maintance costs, $200/250. I paid 1700.00 bucks for this. Deal or dud? Yeah, you can do your own oil changes, but they check belt tension and adjust other issues to keep your bike going down the road. I'm ASE certified in automotive and preventive maintance is worth it. Next, I have a tire waranty. Anything happens to my skins, they are covered for 36,000 miles. I'm looking at my contract as we speak. Fine print? Sure. Only cost me 250 bucks so WTF? I want my baby to have the best of everything. It's worth it to me.

Quick Reply: Resale Value and service agreements