Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my chopper project

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:08 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Update on my chopper project

The bike is at "Kundratic Kustoms" http://www.kundratickustoms.com/ in Baltimore. Any of you guys who get Cycle Source will see Brian Kundratic's last show bike as this month's centerfold. All the tins have been removed, as much of the rear fender chopped off as possible while retaining the struts, and they've all been primed and sent to the guy at BackStreet Buckets in Austin for a wild, 70's style paintjob. backstreetbucket.blogspot.com/

This was my bike before we started the latest work...

Update on my chopper project-twwmg.jpg
I'm keeping the frame intact this year other than chopping the neck to rake it out for a long fork. Next year we're going to put it in a hardtail frame of some sort, and having the king/queen seat made. This year we are putting on a new fork, front wheel, headlight, bars, and extending the pipes and sweeping them up towards the sissy bar, skirtblower style. I am ditching the apes in favor of the bars shown below..

Update on my chopper project-ht9bs.jpg

Here is the look I'm going for with the front end. I am not putting on a girder, or even a springer fork, as we're not fooling anyone, this is not an old bike. Rather, we're going for this sort of look on the front end, but the forks and front wheel will be black (and not quite as long). I know the trend for modern choppers is to have a larger front wheel, but I'm not a modern guy. This, below is my dream chopper, and when I get another house with a garage, I plan on building a duplicate of this bike on my own.

Update on my chopper project-leubz.jpg

Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My favorite hydraulic "chopper style" front end has external springs. Old BSA style. My 450 chop had one

but that gas tank leaked so I narrowed an old Sportster tank and while I had it apart I swapped out the front end with an 18 over AEE and new 21" spool wheel just playing around but I love it. Love the crap out of it.

I'm sure your guys have plenty of experience with it but 04 & up necks are NOT at all like previous model years. They aren't tube. Just shaped. Can't rake it by cutting the neck like normal. The work has to be in the down tubes and backbone. A very capable guy I know cut in to his hap-hazardly and found this out the hard way. Basically trashed the frame and started new. He's actually a member here. Oldschool1983 or something like that.

Can't wait to see it man. Sounds like you have some heavy hitters working on it.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The bike looked good before and I love the horn on the bars LOL! Sounds like you have a nice plan for the bike, but I could not ride with the bars you are getting, but very old school looking.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Speaking of those bars, there are some one Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-School-C...item5ae3323a16

I know they're 7/8" but it's easy to make em work.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 AM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is an awesome bike. Love the retro-style. Keep up the good work.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, you are kinda teasing us right now without the finished project and no pictures of your bike with the mods done. You jerk.

:-)

Old 10-28-2011, 09:39 AM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by Voony
OP, you are kinda teasing us right now without the finished project and no pictures of your bike with the mods done. You jerk.

:-)
No such thing as a finished project! (at least where I am concerned). Other guys have asked for updates occasionally. Believe me, I wish I had some finished work to show you. In a couple of weeks I'll have pics of the painted tins. (and there's ANOTHER tease)

Old 10-28-2011, 09:41 AM
schwingding
Road Master

FWIW, my tins are going to be painted like this, but with a black, flake base and in 70's AMF orange, red, yellow, rootbeer colors...

Old 10-28-2011, 02:20 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^shweet...

Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shweet indeed...

Quick Reply: Update on my chopper project