Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux Brake/run/Turn module mod --

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:25 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 292 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Aux Brake/run/Turn module mod --

I posted this in the Electrical forum and tried the only suggestion / disconnect the battery for a while, then reconnect. No change in behavior.

I have a 06 Sportster 883 standard. I had the Harley fog lights installed by a dealer (68913-98B) no probs. I just added the Aux Brake/run/turn Signal Conversion kit (69463-06) myself. The lights work without problems but I am now getting an intermittent check engine and battery indicator. I know that the Aux conversion kit requires 4.5 amps and that the entire system generates +- 22amps. I dont have enough info to test. If I take the technical approach ... although its been a real long time ... E = I x R or/and E=P/(I squared) blah blah blah blah ....

Problem is I would like to actually test this out .... I find it hard to believe that addition of a set of fog lights and this module would be too much for a 12.6v / 22 amp system to handle.

Can anyone shed any light ??? If not, I guess Ill do the obvious. Remove the module, normal up and see what happens.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 PM
balley
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aux Brake/run/Turn module mod --

Votage Equilizer or Stabilizer.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:25 AM
CHASE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Balley, voltage equilizer/splitter

Old 11-29-2006, 12:57 AM
ronn39
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't mention when that battery indicator light was coming on, sumncguy, and I was wondering if it's coming on at idle or low RPM. I know alternators are better at providing more current at low rpm than were generators, but with the load it might have something to do with it. Have you thought of putting a voltmeter across the battery to see what the voltage goes before and after starting? I doubt it could be the regulator, but it's possible.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a bad circuit or ground. I hate aftermarket stuff!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:43 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Ron39 -- No ryhme or reason. The idiot lights come on and off both at idle and when normal riding.

Dallastx -- Actually, this isnt an "Aftermarket" part. I installed the Harley Davidson module.

Regards
Chris

Old 11-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you know if the foglights run through a relay? They might need to.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:30 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Default Solution - Aux Brake/run/Turn module mod --

Well I did the obvious. I de-installed the module this morning before riding to work. No engine / battery idiot lights. I purchased the module from Davis Harley of Burlington NC. I gave them a call and explained the situation. I also made mention of the two different part numbers listed (both for 06 XL). I explained that I am in a techncial field and understood the (extremely simple) installation. He told me to bring it down, they'd give me a new module, install it and clear codes for me.

Thats exactly what they did. Firstly, the module must have been bad. I no longer receive any idiot lights. Secondly, these guys wasted no time. They had the module set aside for me, they gave it to me, took the old one, asked that I pull the bike around. I waited 0 seconds, someone was at the door to meet me, had me pull it in and two guys started to pull the seat. I was on my way in minutes.

They also noticed that I had a black tie rap holding the battery cover on .. asked what that was about .. I told them I had been loosing them since the first week of ownership. He said "Hold on, Ill run and get one for you."

Cost for this entire transaction $0. This pleases me and give the impression that these guys want to do a good job. I'll go back there and so far would recommend this dealer to anyone.

Im not sure I would do the same for the dealer where I purchased the bike. Ive been trying to get them to fix that clip since the first week of ownership ... along with a burning smell most noticable at start after long length of standing.